Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dutch man, 69, who 'identifies as 20 years younger' launches legal battle to change age

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Just a little analogy (based on a little experience).

Imagine you lived in  a society where left-handed people always work as carers or stay at home with children while right handed people are expected to be go-getting bread winners.

Anybody who doesn't conform to the "norm" is considered to be very odd.

Now if you happen to be in the "wrong hand group" you can either suffer a repressed life not doing what you really want. Or you might try a simple operation to make you use a different hand!

For me gender is a relatively minor medical difference which society increasingly uses to divide people into two groups who are expected to behave and think differently. Two "equal" but different races.

For some people a sex change can become a relatively small price to pay for being allowed to behave and do what they want in life.

My hope is that we can stop this separation in future and let people wear and do what they like. So I would try not to bat an eyelid if a "guy" wearing a dress and make up tries to sell me a car or a lady in trousers and no make up is tries to sell me that car. But we've all been conditioned to dislike these situations so it's bloody difficult!
  • Options
    Wife knows someone whose husband wanted a sex change. He wasn't gay, wouldn't leaver her etc.

Within a year of change he had got himself a fella and left the family which she found incredibly humiliating.

It worries me for the people having sex changes what they will go to if they aren't happy when they have changed. It's a very drastic move and I imagine in a lot of cases people are just as miserable as they were before so then move on to something else. 
  • Options

Imagine you lived in  a society where left-handed people always work as carers or stay at home with children while right handed people are expected to be go-getting bread winners.

Now if you happen to be in the "wrong hand group" you can either suffer a repressed life not doing what you really want. Or you might try a simple operation to make you use a different hand!

For me gender is a relatively minor medical difference which society increasingly uses to divide people into two groups who are expected to behave and think differently. Two "equal" but different races.

For some people a sex change can become a relatively small price to pay for being allowed to behave and do what they want in life.

My hope is that we can stop this separation in future and let people wear and do what they like. So I would try not to bat an eyelid if a "guy" wearing a dress and make up tries to sell me a car or a lady in trousers and no make up is tries to sell me that car. But we've all been conditioned to dislike these situations so it's bloody difficult!

I'm not sure we've been conditioned to dislike these situations - more to feel uncomfortable. Not the same thing, of course.

Society is changing, norms are being reset - that level of uncomfortableness is and will diminish. 

• Options
    bobmunro said:

I'm not sure we've been conditioned to dislike these situations - more to feel uncomfortable. Not the same thing, of course.

Society is changing, norms are being reset - that level of uncomfortableness is and will diminish. 

Hope so.  Despite massive resistance from some quarters. 
  • Options
    Daddy_Pig said:
    Wife knows someone whose husband wanted a sex change. He wasn't gay, wouldn't leaver her etc.

Within a year of change he had got himself a fella and left the family which she found incredibly humiliating.

It worries me for the people having sex changes what they will go to if they aren't happy when they have changed. It's a very drastic move and I imagine in a lot of cases people are just as miserable as they were before so then move on to something else. 
    Must be a bigot according to some people.
     She probably voted for brexit as well 
  • Options

Why do you have to suffer a repressed life? Why don't you fight for the right of left-handed people and right-handed people to fill whatever social roles they wish, while recognising that left-handed people sometimes need particular accommodations (such as the provision of left-handed scissors) due to the nature of their biology? And it's not just a simple operation, but a series of operations, plus life-long hormone treatment. It's a hell of a lot more complicated than you're making out.
  • Options
    Yes - fighting the system is obviously the best way to go!

My (very limited!) personal experience of a young persons transgender clinic was that they have to manage kids who have been mocked or bullied at school for being a bit "different" and who can see no future for themselves within our society. "How can I ever hope to hold down a job or raise a family if people are laughing at me all the time"?

The idea of hormones and surgery is a genuinely horrible solution which will probably not work anyway. But it is hard to explain this to a half-starved teenager who sees this or suicide as the only viable way forward. 

Maybe we should be harder on everyone and just tell them to get on with it? But it's difficult when you're faced with real people! 
  • Options
    I know somebody who has a physical disability which is visible to others and the stories she tells of the nastiness of some people towards her. I consider these sort of bastards sub human - I don't want to think we are of the same species.
  • Options
    An excellent must watch film is The Danish Girl (Eddie Redmayne)
  • Options
    Maybe we should be harder on everyone and just tell them to get on with it? But it's difficult when you're faced with real people! 
    Not remotely. I think we should be telling them they're fine as they are, and they shouldn't be having to subject themselves to a load of unnecessary medical treatment due to a bunch of stupid stereotypes. I accept that for some people there will be no other alternative because their distress is so intense and enduring, but it's not an easy road to tread by any means, so if there are alternative ways of dealing with it they should be worked through first.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I demand to age 13 years older so I can get Social Security now!
  • Options
    Latest “worlds gone mad” news - the man who identifies as broccoli 

https://trib.al/P5djLoY
  • Options

• Options
    In this picture: one attention-seeking twat who gains cachet from punching down at vulnerable members of society, the police ;) and the broccoli guy!!!!!!1!
  • Options
    Let's see how Mr Broccoli reacts to being thrown in boiling water and then eaten.
  • Options
    Oh wait, he's not mocking transgendered people, he's dressing up as part of XR. So he's not identifying as broccoli at all. So this was a silly threadbump
  • Options
    Needs his hard drive checking.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Latest “worlds gone mad” news - the man who identifies as broccoli 

https://trib.al/P5djLoY
    "Identifies as" is being used dangerously and disingenuously by the shitrag here that is the Mail to try and conflate the issue so trans people are ridiculed.

And Scoham, I'm hoping you've not fallen for it, but it reads as if you have.

Horrible journalism by (and largely for) horrible people.
  • Options
    I,m 70, which i,m told is the new 50 ...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LMHR said:
    As someone who is transgender I thought I would pipe up . Everyone likes to give their opinion on trans issues . But no one ever asks us . I havnt read all of this thread because what I have read so far  I have heard many times . Thankfully on here there are some thinking accepting people. Thank you for that .
    Firstly  trans is not,  I can assure you a choice . If it was no one would choose it . It’s totally awful.  Unlike wanting to change your age or become a Brussel sprout . It is what we are born . I’m 65 on Saturday ( 3 points please ). I told my mum when I was around 5 or 6 that I was a girl . Around 1960 it was unheard of. I saw my first shrink when I was about 9 . We were labelled bonkers then ( maybe I am ). But the world has moved on and there is greater understanding now ( well some people ). Secondly , for some reason some people cannot seem to grasp the difference between sex and gender . Yes I was born with a penis . But it doesn’t define me !!! There are many facets to me . My love for cafc being one . Maybe the men on here should look at their wives and partners and tell them that all they represent is a walking vulva . I think they would be put straight . There is of course much to say on the subject but please educate yourselves . Google “  Paris lees “ she has some good stuff on YouTube. 
    Took some courage to write that LMHR, I salute you.
    I do hope you’re in a happier place now the world seems to be more accepting?
    Take good care of yourself xx