Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post match thread: Charlton v Doncaster : 3 November 2018

Comments

• Options
    This is going to sound churlish, but despite decent performance, decent result we need to put teams like this, where we are so dominant, to the sword. We easily were better by 3 or 4 goals and despite the result this was another instance of us lacking that clinical finish.
  • Options
    Thought Doncaster bossed the first half from the off until we scored against the run of play and even then they overall showed why they have been up there. However Charlton did score and turned the game and didn’t really look back. Lyle Taylor .....such a good player. Vetokele won’t replace him or grant any time soon. And apart from being such a mouthpiece my man of the match is Jamie ward......what a difference he makes to the team. It was not as good as against Barnsley because they were not as quick to the ball but at times the passing and pace worked really well and Grant’s pace is starting to really have a regular impact. Pearce and Bielik were solid and Solly had a very good game as did Dijksteel.actually apart from the first twenty minutes everyone had a good game. Let’s hope we can get to sixth on Tuesday.
  • Options
    A decent performance and win. We should have scored more goal BUT defensively in the first half we were all over the place. Most of the danger came down Dkiksteel's side and yes he was poor in the first half, but he wasn't getting much protection either. Bielik wasn't good in the first half either, but was much better in the second half

Taylor and Grant were excellent, we lost a lot of our attacking threat when Taylor went off as Igor was generally ineffective, without the same workrate, and not getting into the box quickly enough either. Slightly surprised Reeves went off rather than Ward, but Marshall had a useful cameo
  • Options

A decent performance and win. We should have scored more goal BUT defensively in the first half we were all over the place. Most of the danger came down Dkiksteel's side and yes he was poor in the first half, but he wasn't getting much protection either. Bielik wasn't good in the first half either, but was much better in the second half

Taylor and Grant were excellent, we lost a lot of our attacking threat when Taylor went off as Igor was generally ineffective, without the same workrate, and not getting into the box quickly enough either. Slightly surprised Reeves went off rather than Ward, but Marshall had a useful cameo

Didn’t Reeves get injured?
  • Options

He'd definitely just taken a knock so hope its just to rest him ahead of Tuesday

And apart from being such a mouthpiece my man of the match is Jamie ward......what a difference he makes to the team.

Jamie Ward is someone I wish we'd signed a few years ago, really want him here on a perm basis

Loved it at the end as he was constantly talking to Naby Sarr inc. "Leave it for the ball boy" in an attempt to slow the game right down
  • Options
    RobRob
    edited November 2018
    That was a very good performance. Almost identical to Barnsley. What a difference it is to have Bielik at the back alongside Pearce. With a solid central 2 that gives the full backs so much more confidence and don't get drawn into the middle so much. That really helps. The first 5 or 10 minutes Donny looked more lively but even then I thought we had them contained and as the game went on we slowly wore them down. Kept them at a distance from our goal and can't remember Steer being really tested.

I thought Bielik was immense. In the middle I thought Aribo and Reeves were very good as was Cullen at the base of the diamond. Up front Taylor looked a bit off. Probably not 100%. I thought Grant had an ok game but he scored the 2nd so can't knock him too much. Igor is just not the same player anymore. I thought he was weak. A word for Marshall. I felt he helped us out in the 2nd half with his defensive qualities. All in all a good day at the office.

Now Bows, don't try and be clever and tinker with the team. Remember Barnsley and Donny.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    We looked sharper today and like we meant it. Bielik MoM for me but Aribo, Reeves and Grant not far behind. A lot of hard work done by Taylor but like Ward you have to wonder why they bother spoiling it by giving the ref an easy reason to give a foul against them. Solly deserves a mention for yet another does what it says on the tin performance that looks like he’s practiced each and every move all week. For me he gets better and better and makes it look so easy. And I like watching Dijksteel tackle, turn and pass- wtf is he doing playing in L1 ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2018

1StevieG said:

One of the worst referees I have seen for a long time and ruined the game for me. Couldn’t count out 10 yards, gave free kicks for great tackles, gave free kicks if you stood too close to the keeper and stopped play when he could have allowed the advantage.

You weren't at the Peterborough and Barnsley home games then and saw James Linington ?
    Missed the posh game. Don’t recall the ref being that bad against Barnsley though. That lovely tackle from Aribo towards the end was particularly frustrating as he won the ball cleanly and was on the attack.
  • Options
    First 11 close now for me, just Page missing
  • Options
    razil said:

And Bauer.
  • Options
    1StevieG said:

razil said:

And Bauer.
    The way Bielik played today, Bauer has some competition on his hands, which is a great problem for Bowyer to have.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    It’s no excuse but I do think the foot off the gas towards the end has something to do with the fact we have a game Tuesday and that we won’t be able to make many changes! Wasn’t there but listened to it on CAFC Player and we sounded pretty comfortable?
  • Options
    Among the many positives I take from the comments of those who watched, the one that strikes me is the number of rave reviews for Bielik. People wer understandably nervous about the public comments Bowyer made about him last week. But it seems to have worked well. A good day for our rookie manager.
  • Options
    Stig said:

What a disgusting kit Donny were wearing - deserved to lose just for that.

Up the Addicks!

said to Golfie Jnr that it looked like a rugby kit......well, they do come from Yorkshire.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    strange how 'time-wasting' has become 'good game management'.
  • Options
    barstool said:

Great off the ball run by Reeves to distract the defenders

Except it was Solly.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Doncaster bossed most of the first half and we were lucky not to be two or three goals down before we scored. Our biggest problem was the amount of space we gifted them between midfield and defence and Dijksteel's inability to tie down his winger. On the plus side we looked sharp up front with both Aribo and Ward offering positive support.
    The second half was a bit of a damp squib and it was disappointing to see that Ventokele looks a shadow of his pre injury self. Doncaster's 26 (Coppinger?) looked dangerous in the first half and it was a relief to see him withdrawn at half time.
    We're tantalising close to the playoffs again but the question is whether we can we put a run together and cement a place in the top six? Fingers crossed.
  • Options
    So pleased to see the line up before the game. The success of it v Barnsley transferred across to this crucial win.
    Similar to our triumph up at Bradford, Steer made a great save at the beginning which was pivotal to the outcome of the game.
    From early on, Grant was making amends for his poor display at Rochdale by being a constant threat and getting into great positions.
    Donny for their part started with a fair amount of possession and looked sharp but gradually the Addicks took control culminating in our two 1st half goals.
    The first was a good corner delivery by Cullen with Aribo knocking it in after a Donny defender had struck his own bar.
    The second goal had lovely build up play for me with Bielik delivering a great ball to Reeves who fed Taylor. Solly made a decoy run to the left of him as he crossed in for Grant's header which I felt their keeper could of done better.
    In between these two goals, Aribo was oozing confidence and was really on his game. Reeves was using the ball well and played a significant cross field ball to Taylor in the approach to the 2nd goal. At the back, Bielik was looking so cool in tight spots.
    We had a little sticky period in the early part of the 2nd half that I felt we had to ride out. Bielik was always there to calm things down but Reeves had to make a crucial tackle on their sub May.
    After that, we rode it out well. Everyone made a valuable contribution to this important win including Bowyer and Jackson who clearly have worked them hard leading up to this game.
    Bielik was my MOM, he's becoming our Franz Beckenbauer. Great contributions from all the midfield and Grant also.
    Moving forward, Grant could do with a bit more upper body strength when he is challenged from behind, more consistency in his game and self belief. There's a wonderful player in there bursting to get out.
  • Options

Doncaster bossed most of the first half and we were lucky not to be two or three goals down before we scored. Our biggest problem was the amount of space we gifted them between midfield and defence and Dijksteel's inability to tie down his winger. On the plus side we looked sharp up front with both Aribo and Ward offering positive support.
    The second half was a bit of a damp squib and i was disappointing to see that Ventokele looks a shadow of his pre injury self. Doncaster's 26 (Coppinger?) looked dangerous in the first half and it was a relief to see him withdrawn at half time.
    We're tantalising close to the playoffs again but the question is whether we can we put a run together and cement a place in the top six? Fingers crossed.

Did Steer have to save anything today?

I thought most attacks went down Sollys side.

Second half I thought we controlled completely,

Vetokele did the job that was required and closed the defenders down quickly.

Fingers crossed we can get into the to
  • Options
    Bugger. Meant to spell it Ventokele. Broken my run now!
  • Options
    Very comfortable indeed
  • Options
    One aspect I liked today was how Bowyer dealt with the Doncaster subs... Wilks (fake Taylor) came on and instantly went up against Solly, fouled him and a little while later switched flank to face Dijksteel as he was getting zero luck against Chris

Might not have been the reason for the sub yet Bowyer took Anfernee off later on yet when that happened Solly naturally switched and so did Wilks
  • Options

I wasn't sure if his immediate substitution was due to that knock or just coincidence, as Bowyer does tend to withdraw him after 70 minutes anyway and hasn't mentioned an injury in his post match interviews?