Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Most Influential Charlton player.

Comments

• Options
    Jacko. There have been times when he has basically held the club together on his own.
  • Options
    iainment said:

Fumbluff said:

iainment said:

Curbs.

Sneaky....for me he was a bang-average player...
    Ok, Chris Powell then.
    Would agree... Was a servant on and off the pitch, not just for Charlton but with the PFA as well
  • Options

Scotty Kingsley by a mile

Helped reform the club in 1918 after it had shut down in 1915.

Found the Valley and helped turn it into a football ground.

Allowed himself to be transferred to Fulham so the fee would save the club from extinction.

Beat that.

Had never heard of him or any of that but extremely impressive!!
  • Options

Allowed himself to be transferred to Fulham so the fee would save the club from extinction.

Beat that.

Had never heard of him or any of that but extremely impressive!!
    The museum has a display on him with many of his personal items of memorabilia.
  • Options

Not sure what the question actually means

But I would say Peter Shirtliff. Without those 2 goals, would the club have survived 2nd division football at Selhurst long enough for the back to the Valley campaign to work?

This.
  • Options
    Jesper Blomqvist.
  • Options
    Pringle said:

cafctom said:

Scott Parker. It was like having an extra player in the side whenever he pulled on the shirt for us during his peak.

Thought that was Andy Reid.
    If that's the criteria, let's mention John Barnes and Peter Garland!

I'll add Simon Webster to the proper list.

• Options
    RedChaser said:

Over the last 60 years I'd have to say Mendonca for his goal scoring feat at Wembley in the play off final which provided the building blocks for the extended run in the Premier league, two seasons later.

and not just his Wembley tour de force (mon ami) .. all that season his influence on the team was immeasurable .. he was fortunate to have a terrific group of players around him but without Mendonca I do not believe that we would ever have got to the premiership .. his signing was Lord Llewellyn's master stroke
  • Options

Beat that.

But who was more influential Danny Green or Scott Wagstaff?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Beat that.

But who was more influential Danny Green or Scott Wagstaff?
    Not even a debate there : - )
  • Options
    That network goalkeeper whose name I can’t even bring myself to remember, having consigned it to that place where things should be forgotten - as ‘influential’ goes, I felt I definitely needed to be under the influence to watch him in goal
  • Options
    Djimi Traoré
  • Options
    Some interesting names on here.

Shirtliff's contribution was iconic at the time and he was a leader of men. His contribution to our club was massive at the time when we were in a bad way but I wouldn't say he was hugely influential.

Jacko is both iconic and influential right now. His influence over the last few years is unrivalled and I hope that continues for many years to come.

But on the pitch, For me Scott Parker was the one. When he left us he was, in my opinion, world class. I don't say that lightly. He covered every blade of grass, every game. He was so influential and important to us it is testament that we were in 4th in the top flight when he left. He was unbelievable but sadly he was ill advised and I believe he underachieved in his career. He should have won a lot more than he did.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Pearce is a great captain and really battles - he should score more goals and his distribution is poor. At this level, he is the heart of the team, but the most influential player. As in the player who currently has most influence has to be Taylor.

Looking back, I think Parker was very influential at his peak, Darren Bent for a while. Going back further Derek Hales - it is constantly moving feast.
  • Options
    Dick Tydeman.
  • Options
    There have been a few. Jacko, Simon Webster, Peacock and others but for me the stand out is Mark Kinsella.
  • Options

Beat that.

How many times did you see him play?
  • Options
    Mark Kinsella imo
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2018

Beat that.

He definitely saw his debut - it was his first ever game at the age of 12.
  • Options

Beat that.

He definitely saw his debut - it’s was his first ever game at the age of 12.
    the undead live forever
  • Options
    In his relatively short stay Jorge Costa
  • Options
    edited November 2018

Beat that.

None but our history didn't start in 1965
  • Options
    Shirtliff and Jackson for how they lead the team with a load of nonsense from the club going on.

Parker during the Pram days.

Paul Miller in the play offs and against Chelsea
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:

Shirtliff and Jackson for how they lead the team with a load of nonsense from the club going on.

Parker during the Pram days.

Paul Miller in the play offs and against Chelsea

Until he threw his toys out
  • Options
    Hales
    Stevie Gritt
    Stevie Brown
    Leeeaaaaburnnnn!
    Johnny Robinson
    Colin Walsh

All would give 100 percent for Charlton.
  • Options
    Mark Kinsela, Jacko, Keith Peacock, Scotty, all have to be in the running.

One name from the 1960's nobody has mentioned is Mike Bailey. He was a colossus for us, captain at the age of 22 i believe. England international as well.

A barrel chested tough tackling midfielder, very much in the Kinsela mold.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    I thought Mark Aizlewod was very influential during our earlier spell in the top flight. Against the better sides he was a rock in front of the defence, but against lesser teams he pushed the side forward. Seemed to read what was needed and we often seemed to claw back a result. But not a star man.
  • Options
    I’ll only do the last 30 years;

Webster
    Powell
    Kinsella
    Parker
    Mendonca

But I could easily add another 5 to that list.

I’d plump for Webster, that time was I feel one of the best group of players we had, not best from a technical stand point just a superb bunch giving 110% every single game and a good team, the captain should take a lot of credit for that. BTTV also helped of course.

In many respects I liked that time more than the premiership years.