Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Shooting in Greenwich

2»

Comments

• Options

Chunes said:

Chunes said:

McBobbin said:

Depressing for the kids at St Alfege to see this shit. Very sad....

it's sad but entirely preventable - and that is the sad part
    How? Serious question.
    (spoiler - it isn't)
    tougher sanctions on those that show violent behaviour/indulge in ganglike activity.
    Someone holding a gun up, pointing it at someone and pulling the trigger really doesn't give a flying f--- about sentencing. It's not something you do having weighed up the consequences, pros and cons.

We can't cure the criminal mind by treating it as our own - logical, rational. If it was logical and rational it wouldn't be risking everything.

Tougher sentencing is just something politicians whack out to win elections and make people feel better.
    The victim is in his 20s I don’t think people are born with the instinct to shoot people unless a mental disorder, if you could turn the behaviour, for example carrying a knife no ifs or buts 15 years inside, then you maybe would not get the jump to guns.
    But you just said people aren't born with the instinct to shoot unless they have a mental disorder, so by your own argument, what difference would tougher sentencing on knives make

Personally I think violent criminality is an environmental disorder, and I don't think knives are a gateway drug to guns. Sentencing only makes the public feel better but in the long run only creates a stronger criminal culture in those imprisoned. Look at how tough sentencing and rampant imprisonment has worked out for the US.
    That's why crime levels in the US are so low and there's next to no gun crime despite high levels of gun ownership.

If you don't do anything about the causes of crime you haven't got a hope in hell of reducing it. Punishment in itself won't fix the problem.
    There were more than 15,000 gun deaths in the US last year, excluding suicide

Their murder rate is 5.35 compared to our 1.22

I know where I'd feel safer