Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Labour's Tom Watson 'reversed' type-2 diabetes through diet and exercise

Comments

• Options
    razil said:

I’ve seen 18% body fat mentioned as key, I’m going to try for that and see if things improve (I’ve had success in the past when exercising a lot in lowering my readings but no longer term success)

It also depends on where the fat is. If it's around the major organs such as the liver, then it's far more dangerous than if it's on say the arms and legs.
  • Options
    I have read a few articles and papers around the idea of reversal. The impression I get is that if you
    Make changes quickly after diagnosis it is easier to reverse (not sure reverse is really the right word, more a case of resetting that way your body deals with its sugar levels). I remember reading something about some extreme diets having a pretty good effect on those with T2, by extreme it was massive calorie deficit diets I think. Not sure on long term impacts of this kind of approach but any positive changes to the diet are going to help you manage the condition even if you don’t ‘revers it.

I see a large number of diabetics at work at the lack of knowledge or good management of it by
    Many people is staggering.
  • Options
    kigelia said:

I have read a few articles and papers around the idea of reversal. The impression I get is that if you
    Make changes quickly after diagnosis it is easier to reverse (not sure reverse is really the right word, more a case of resetting that way your body deals with its sugar levels). I remember reading something about some extreme diets having a pretty good effect on those with T2, by extreme it was massive calorie deficit diets I think. Not sure on long term impacts of this kind of approach but any positive changes to the diet are going to help you manage the condition even if you don’t ‘revers it.

I see a large number of diabetics at work at the lack of knowledge or good management of it by
    Many people is staggering.

My best mate from university and my best man was diagnosed some 20 odd years ago with type 2 diabetes.

About 5 years ago he undertook the very low sugar diet and he is now tested as normal. He doesn’t eat as much or drink as much as he did before but it has been totally life changing for him.
  • Options

He had 3 options. No operation but the gangrene would kill him, have it done under general, the chances of surviving were very low or have an epidural.
    Obviously the epidural numbed him but he did hear the saw.

He came through it and is recovering slowly.
    Sadly, some bastard nicked £30 from his room last night.

Oh, he still thinks he could get the odd game at Charlton too :)

all the very best to your dad .. it's a tribute to the skill of the surgeons and the science behind anaesthetics/pain relivers that so much can be done nowadays .. AND when in hospital; leave ALL valuables with the nursing staff .. there is a LOT of thieving goes on in the NHS, both some patients and (unfortunately) some staff are at it
    Thank you. Absolutely right. The surgeons have been superb as have the physios.
    Regarding the valuables, I usually only leave him a couple of quid for papers etc but yesterday he’d asked his partner to leave 30quid as he wanted to reimburse me. If I’d known, I’d have told him to leave it in the lockable pill cabinet (not that I wanted reimbursing).
  • Options
    iainment said:

Heartwarming to know this can be reversed.
    Bit sad that some think taking a dig at vegans is relevant.

That's not really fair. On the 'vegans are great/no they're not' thread (can't remember what it's actually called) Steve Lamb made a daft assertion that his doctor told him T2 diabetes couldn't be reversed. When he was called out on it, he went quiet. I think that's what the comment was aimed at, rather than a dig at vegans
  • Options

iainment said:

That's not really fair. On the 'vegans are great/no they're not' thread (can't remember what it's actually called) Steve Lamb made a daft assertion that his doctor told him T2 diabetes couldn't be reversed. When he was called out on it, he went quiet. I think that's what the comment was aimed at, rather than a dig at vegans
    I stopped reading that a while ago. So what you said passed me by.
  • Options
    A lot of the risk factors for Type 2 diabetes are lifestyle related:

Obesity
    Poor diet
    Inactivity
    Smoking
    Heavy drinking

Ethnicity and family history may also contribute but a healthy lifestyle can certainly help to protect against the likelihood of developing it.

If individuals don't take responsibility for their health then the NHS will eventually sink under the cost of treating obesity/diabetes.

Health promotion is out there but individuals are reluctant to change.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    For what it is worth, type 2 diabetes should be renamed. Type 1 diabetes is another kettle of fish entirely.

• Options
    it's well worth readig Tim Noakes' writings on reversing t2 for anyone who's interested
  • Options
    razil said:

I’ve seen 18% body fat mentioned as key, I’m going to try for that and see if things improve (I’ve had success in the past when exercising a lot in lowering my readings but no longer term success)

18% sounds very low to me, buddy. I don't have this issue but I get measured on two machines, Beurer and Tanita, and both would be happy if you came in at 20%. The Tanita, at the clinic my wife got me to, measures visceral fat (per @killerandflash post above), and locates it within your body frame. In my case it's all concentrated around my belly, and that's not good.

My wife (whom you've met briefly) doesn't have any diabetes issue either, but she lost 11 kg in 4-5 months thanks to that clinic, through a combo of diet change and exercise. In her case the diet thing was more about shifting the intake forward to earlier in the day. Too many of us eat (and drink) too much, too late in the day.

You've got the mental strength to do what Tom Watson has done, of that i am sure, just don't want you to give yourself targets that you can't reach. Good luck with it

• Options
    Type 1 Diabetes: That's tough, are you coping ok?
    Type 2 Diabetes: Put the doughnuts down, get off your fat arse and go for a walk.
  • Options

Leaving aside the political argument, these are horrendous numbers. The NHS is amputating 120 feet and toes a week://twitter.com/tom_watson/status/1039848613780877313

well done to Watson BUT he is trying to make political gain here .. the effects of obesity, lack of exercise and too much booze and the subsequent risk of T2Diabetes have been well documented and publicised .. it's up to individuals and not governments and NHS bureaucrats to get things under control .. and Kearney asking if Labour would rid the country of the problem in one parliament ? .. is she serious or having a laugh ? ..
    Well, it's not just about the individuals though, is it? If sugary drinks are cheaper, there are loads of takeaways and it's difficult to get fresh veg, that's something the govt ought to have a view on, no? And take action on?
    A lot of people fall out of any form of regular exercise after they leave school or hit middle age. Promoting exercise and getting it into hard to reach areas would help. Health promotion budgets sit with local councils, who've had 10 years of austerity and at least two counties have gone bust: when faced with cuts to children's social care or health promotion, which one do you think gets the chop? The choices that we make as a society are relentlessly political.
  • Options
    rananegra said:

Leaving aside the political argument, these are horrendous numbers. The NHS is amputating 120 feet and toes a week://twitter.com/tom_watson/status/1039848613780877313

well done to Watson BUT he is trying to make political gain here .. the effects of obesity, lack of exercise and too much booze and the subsequent risk of T2Diabetes have been well documented and publicised .. it's up to individuals and not governments and NHS bureaucrats to get things under control .. and Kearney asking if Labour would rid the country of the problem in one parliament ? .. is she serious or having a laugh ? ..
    Well, it's not just about the individuals though, is it? If sugary drinks are cheaper, there are loads of takeaways and it's difficult to get fresh veg, that's something the govt ought to have a view on, no? And take action on?
    A lot of people fall out of any form of regular exercise after they leave school or hit middle age. Promoting exercise and getting it into hard to reach areas would help. Health promotion budgets sit with local councils, who've had 10 years of austerity and at least two counties have gone bust: when faced with cuts to children's social care or health promotion, which one do you think gets the chop? The choices that we make as a society are relentlessly political.
    Something has to be done as it threatens to sink the NHS. The problem is not going to go away.....
  • Options
    rananegra said:

Fruit and vegetables are dirt cheap at your local Lidl or Aldi and what are 'hard to reach areas'? Eating correctly and doing moderate exercise aren't difficult tasks (fitness trackers cost under £20 ffs) and people making excuses for the lazy/stupid really doesn't do them any favours.
  • Options

rananegra said:

Something has to be done as it threatens to sink the NHS. The problem is not going to go away.....
    And by the way not just the NHS; all modern health systems in the developed world. When I first arrived in Prague in 1993, there were hardly any obese people to be seen, and certainly not among younger people. All that has changed, saw some figures last night that showed national obesity level above EU average. Pretty sure similar trends at work here. Rising consumption of crap convenience food, more sedentary work, less exercise.

As I mentioned above, my wife went to a diet clinic and rather sceptically I followed her initiative (I already had a "green zone" BMI figure, but was curious to see what they get up to). I have to say that despite it being a franchise of one of the biggest oligarch-bastard groups, what they do is sensible, low key, following general best practice advice across Europe, with virtually no "faddy" stuff. In our case, shift consumption away from evenings, in my wife's a case shift to five small meals a day, in my case avoid the peanuts when consuming beer, drink a lot more water, and exercise regularly. My wife looks and feels five years younger, and I am also at best weight since I moved here 20 years ago.

And the question we asked ourselves is this: If it is actually so straightforward, why are the schools not doing more to educate the kids on it? And then I sadly thought about what happened to Jamie Oliver...

• Options

rananegra said:

Fruit and vegetables are dirt cheap at your local Lidl or Aldi and what are 'hard to reach areas'? Eating correctly and doing moderate exercise aren't difficult tasks (fitness trackers cost under £20 ffs) and people making excuses for the lazy/stupid really doesn't do them any favours.
    Agreed, it's less to do with poverty, and surely more down to lifestyle choices. Why are American so fat, for example?

Nobody orders takeaways from their phone, or buys cream cakes in the supermarket instead of fruit and veg due to poverty.
  • Options

iainment said:

With all due respect you were not with me were you.
    I know what my doctor said and have proved her wrong.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

rananegra said:

And by the way not just the NHS; all modern health systems in the developed world. When I first arrived in Prague in 1993, there were hardly any obese people to be seen, and certainly not among younger people. All that has changed, saw some figures last night that showed national obesity level above EU average. Pretty sure similar trends at work here. Rising consumption of crap convenience food, more sedentary work, less exercise.

As I mentioned above, my wife went to a diet clinic and rather sceptically I followed her initiative (I already had a "green zone" BMI figure, but was curious to see what they get up to). I have to say that despite it being a franchise of one of the biggest oligarch-bastard groups, what they do is sensible, low key, following general best practice advice across Europe, with virtually no "faddy" stuff. In our case, shift consumption away from evenings, in my wife's a case shift to five small meals a day, in my case avoid the peanuts when consuming beer, drink a lot more water, and exercise regularly. My wife looks and feels five years younger, and I am also at best weight since I moved here 20 years ago.

And the question we asked ourselves is this: If it is actually so straightforward, why are the schools not doing more to educate the kids on it? And then I sadly thought about what happened to Jamie Oliver...

The consumption of simple carbs is a HUGE problem, as in the influence of that shithouse America, the average weight in China has skyrocketed since I arrived, this is, is a large part, down to the introduction of KFC, McD's, Pizza Hut etcetc.
  • Options
    Stevelamb said:

iainment said:

No one needed to be there to know you are lying about it.
  • Options

rananegra said:

An awful lot of people are overweight or obese and many will develop health related problems due to lack of exercise/poor diet. It's a problem across much of the Western world and there needs to be a cultural shift.

There are a variety of reasons for this and obesity seems to becoming normalised. Eating badly and not exercising has become the norm for a lot of people.
  • Options

rananegra said:

An awful lot of people are overweight or obese and many will develop health related problems due to lack of exercise/poor diet. It's a problem across much of the Western world and there needs to be a cultural shift.

There are a variety of reasons for this and obesity seems to becoming normalised. Eating badly and not exercising has become the norm for a lot of people.
    Last time I was back in England it shocked me how little 'real food' is sold is supermarkets, it's all premade meals packed full of god knows what.

One night my sister and her friend said they'd 'cook a curry' it came straight out of a glass jar, once again, packed full of god knows what. Do people ever cook from scratch these days, or does everything just get shoved in the oven/microwave?
  • Options

Stevelamb said:

iainment said:

No one needed to be there to know you are lying about it.
    I'm not being rude. You're just insignificant.
  • Options
    199 comments, two about CAFC.

Troll.
  • Options

rananegra said:

Last time I was back in England it shocked me how little 'real food' is sold is supermarkets, it's all premade meals packed full of god knows what.

One night my sister and her friend said they'd 'cook a curry' it came straight out of a glass jar, once again, packed full of god knows what. Do people ever cook from scratch these days, or does everything just get shoved in the oven/microwave?
    I'm the same mate.

I had a spag bol at my friends place a few months back and the conversation went a bit like -

Mate's Mrs - "What do you think, cooked it from scratch"

Mate - "Yea, it's lovely. Although, there is something slightly different about it"

Mate's Mrs - "Maybe because I used the Ragu 'light' this time?"

Mate - "Oh yeah, that might be it"

I just sat there chomping on me cooked-from-frozen garlic bread...
  • Options

rananegra said:

To me curries are hard to cook fully from scratch due to the amount of different spices needed, and the inevitability that the unused spices would then sit in my cupboard taking space and losing their strength! I find the pastes a fair compromise though
  • Options

rananegra said:

My Mrs is all over the Slimming World recipes. It seems to me that the key to everything with them is cooking from scratch. Not much is ruled out but each recipe just takes a bit of time to prepare.

Like you say, most people just chuck things out of a jar or pre-made packs etc.
  • Options

rananegra said:

To me curries are hard to cook fully from scratch due to the amount of different spices needed, and the inevitability that the unused spices would then sit in my cupboard taking space and losing their strength! I find the pastes a fair compromise though
    This. I find a pataks paste is basically what is try to make myself from the same ingredients. I get to add gaic, ginger and whatever else goes into the curry, rather than just tip in a jar of sauce I suppose.

You can also buy spice powder blends which are sometimes half decent.