Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Spain (Nations League)

124»

Comments

• Options

We treat the ball like a $10 crack whore in the ASDA car park, the Spanish treat it like Reece Witherspoon in the finest French lingerie on satin sheets at The Ritz.

What? Sharing her around with ten mates for a few hours then sodding off and leaving her in the middle of a field to have a group bath and telling all in the papers the next day?
  • Options
    Not sure what to make of that performance.

Frustrating to take the lead and give it away so cheaply. Plenty of positives but the same negatives were there for everyone to see.

Atmosphere was much better tonight. At least it wasn’t a European qualifying match.
  • Options

We treat the ball like a $10 crack whore in the ASDA car park, the Spanish treat it like Reece Witherspoon in the finest French lingerie on satin sheets at The Ritz.

And the Scots?
  • Options
    Same old problem.

We will continue to struggle to break down the better nations because we don't have a truly world class creative player. An Isco, Silva, De Bruyne, Mbappe, Dembele, Eriksen, Hazard type of player. All the big nations have a top class creative player, we don't.
  • Options
    Talking to a Scottish mate of mine after the game, who was physio at Aberdeen for 23 years so he knows a bit more about football than I do; he said he thinks we England fans in the pub last night were over-critical. What we were saying reflects a lot of the comments on here, and he thought England were unlucky, played well in parts, and restricted Spain to very few chances despite them having a bit more of the ball than we did. I quote "Another day that's 3-2 to England".
  • Options
    yes the ref was poor but so were England, we didn't beat any of the better teams in the WC and didn't last night, Kane just doesn't look fully physically or match fit but also he didn't get much service, the team is still a work in progress
  • Options
    Thought there were some encouraging signs but we still have work to do to really compete against the best teams, and really this wasn't a full strength Spain team.

Hopefully this European Nations tournament can help us make progress as we seem to be in a cycle of easily progressing for tournaments then struggling against the first decent team we face in them. More regular top level competition could address this and mean we are more prepared for future tournaments.
  • Options
    How good is Ramos by the way.

First time live and he pings the ball around like a fucking 7 iron.
  • Options

Over 150 caps for Spain and almost 600 games for Real Madrid. He's probably quite good yes!
  • Options
    It's not like I've never heard of him before just seeing him live and keeping up with players 10 years younger than him and being in complete control of a football and never ever a hint of panic.

I'd honestly go as far to say he is probably the best CH I have seen for all round play in my lifetime.

Complete knob sometimes yes but complete class with a ball at his feet regardless.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    outskilled and ultimately outplayed
  • Options
    Looking back at the highlights, we had the better chances to win. And we were robbed of the draw. Had the referee allowed the goal I think comments would be very different. But that's football.
  • Options

Same old problem.

We will continue to struggle to break down the better nations because we don't have a truly world class creative player. An Isco, Silva, De Bruyne, Mbappe, Dembele, Eriksen, Hazard type of player. All the big nations have a top class creative player, we don't.

Oh i thought it was all about the manager!
  • Options

Yep - their centre half is better on the ball than our best play makers!!!

Twenty five years ago we had the likes of Waddle, Barnes, Beardsley, Gascoigne and later on McManaman, Scholes and Beckham.

Today the cupboard is totally bare.
  • Options
    Chunes said:

Looking back at the highlights, we had the better chances to win. And we were robbed of the draw. Had the referee allowed the goal I think comments would be very different. But that's football.

I'm glad you posted that, I was starting to wonder if I'd watched the right game! Didn't think we were as bad as some are making out.
  • Options

Twenty five years ago we had the likes of Waddle, Barnes, Beardsley, Gascoigne and later on McManaman, Scholes and Beckham.

We are already realistically looking to the under 21s and U19s for decent, exciting attacking creative players.

Maddison is 21, Sancho and Foden are 18, Hudson-Odoi is 17. There is hope for the future.
  • Options

We are already realistically looking to the under 21s and U19s for decent, exciting attacking creative players.

Maddison is 21, Sancho and Foden are 18, Hudson-Odoi is 17. There is hope for the future.
    I'd have Shelvey and Milner in the squad, thought we could have done with them at the World Cup too

I thought we played well, couple of stupid defensive errors but Spain are a bloody good side even if they did fall on their faces at the World cup
  • Options
    Rothko said:

Really like the Nations League concept, didn't see a bad game this weekend, real edge to them all. France v Holland and Denmark v Wales were great watches.

As for England, we were alright, just Spain are better still despite the World Cup, how we progress until Euro 2020 is important, and playing meaningful games against Spain and Croatia will do this group the world of good

Format continues to work further down the chain too

Liechtenstein won their first game in a year yesterday by beating Gibraltar whilst the Faroe Islands and Luxembourg both continue to do well - Wouldnt be surprised if its one of those two from LD that gets to the Euros
  • Options
    the midfield was weak in the WC and Southgate has done little (or nothing) to strengthen in his latest squad ..
    I don't see a lot of prem football other than on the box and there are few English players in key positions in the top sides .. however I have seen Maddison of the Foxes a couple of times and whilst not the finished product, he's promising to say the least .. pick him now Gareth ..

also defence .. Stones ? .. I can't really see the devotion to this flaky defender .. Coady of Wolves is well worth a look
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

the midfield was weak in the WC and Southgate has done little (or nothing) to strengthen in his latest squad ..
    I don't see a lot of prem football other than on the box and there are few English players in key positions in the top sides .. however I have seen Maddison of the Foxes a couple of times and whilst not the finished product, he's promising to say the least .. pick him now Gareth ..

also defence .. Stones ? .. I can't really see the devotion to this flaky defender .. Coady of Wolves is well worth a look

Well it's not club football, it's not as if he can go out and magically buy a player in an area that we're lacking.

Where were you expecting him to find a top class midfielder in the 7-8 weeks since the world cup ended? However even if not picked for the Spain game, i think Shelvey should've at least been given a run out in the friendly tomorrow.
  • Options

Well it's not club football, it's not as if he can go out and magically buy a player in an area that we're lacking.

Where were you expecting him to find a top class midfielder in the 7-8 weeks since the world cup ended? However even if not picked for the Spain game, i think Shelvey should've at least been given a run out in the friendly tomorrow.
    I suppose Southgate could have gone out and called up someone like Shelvey or James Maddison seeing that we were missing a creative midfielder at the World Cup for example
  • Options

Where were you expecting him to find a top class midfielder in the 7-8 weeks since the world cup ended?
    However even if not picked for the Spain game, i think Shelvey should've at least been given a run out in the friendly tomorrow.
    if you'd read my ;post properly, that is my point .. he can't buy a player (thanks for that insight) BUT Maddison could have been selected as could (e.g.) Shelvey
  • Options
    went to the game, remembered why i dont attend wembley if i can help it went purely to get my caps to allow purchase of away tickets for 2019, got to the ground at 6.51pm ended up entering wembley at 8.25pm so missed the anthems, harry kane's presentation and all 3 goals, went beserk at the stewards who were telling people to calm down, and they are now trying to get me a refund for my ticket, the delays occured due to a power failure at the turnstiles making them non usable for 25 mins.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    thats shit mate . I did the double header too and I missed the first 2 goals at wembley due to the queuing to get in . Missed Sarrs goal as well
  • Options
    Shag said:

thats shit mate . I did the double header too and I missed the first 2 goals at wembley due to the queuing to get in . Missed Sarrs goal as well

yeah i done 1st half of charlton only jumped on train from charlton at 4 to london bridge was in the green man by 5.15pm never been before suprisingly quite good, flags up sing song etc, quick service helped by it being cash only, have sent an email off this morning complaining doubt ill get a response.