Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Vernon Roper RIP

Comments

• Options
    Helped me out one season when I was stranded in deepest Sussex on New Years Day. He offered me a lift to Charlton v West Ham which I think was consequently called off but I was ever so grateful for his kindness.
    A genuine soul. Rest in peace Vernon.
  • Options
    RIP Vernon. Thank you for your help & patience with my elderly Dad on the supporters coach.
  • Options
    RIP Vernon.
  • Options
    Would humbly like to add my RIP even though I never met the man personally I bet our paths crossed at a match or two over the years. Up the Addicks!
  • Options
    RIP Vernon. A thouroughly nice bloke and will be sorely missed by his Charlton family.
  • Options
    RIP Vernon.
  • Options
    RIP
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RIP
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    Lovely man and a real shock to read he has passed away, we last spoke at length at the Coventry away joint protest but briefly before the Fleetwood game, a real addick and true loss.
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    R.I.P. Vernon
  • Options
    So many lovely comments on here about an, obviously devoted, Addick. He seems to have been so well know and admired. It would be nice if the club acknowledged his passing in some way @Ollywozere ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RIP Vern

God Bless
  • Options
    Made my wife and I very welcome when we moved to West Sussex and joined the valley express coach. RIP Vern.
  • Options
    God bless you Vernon Roper, Charlton through-and-through.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    bc_addick said:

I put a message in the programme 20 odd years ago asking if there were any Addicks living in Worthing/Brighton area who might like to form a new branch of CASC.
    12 people showed up and Vernon and Betty, his wife, were amongst them.
    I liked them straight away and we had the branch formed by the end of the evening.

Since then Vernon had been the driving force in helping his fellow Addicks get to games and organising events and representing the branch at CASC and CAFC meetings driving up from his home in Steyning West Sussex to the Valley or wherever the meetings were.

Vern was a useful centre half in his day and lived in the Oxford area and played to a high standard . His football knowledge was awesome.

He became a fan of Sam Bartram and started to follow CAFC because of Sam his hero.

We travelled to so many games together in Cars, Mini busses and coaches and he was always making sure everyone was OK and enjoying the day.

Words cannot say how upset I was when I heard that Vern had passed away.

We will all miss him. RIP my friend.

BC

Brian - I first met Vern and Betty when I called the number in the programme and spoke to you. You picked me up in tangmere and then Vern and Betty an route to Port Vale.

I was 17 and excited to get Lee Bowyers autograph on that day - I am now 39!

Vern was a lovely lovely man and Charlton though and though.

I will miss him dearly.

RIP
  • Options
    RIP Vernon a lovely man and a great character.
  • Options
    RIP Vernon, thoughts with you and your family as I travel to the match from West Sussex. A lovely addick.
  • Options
    Great tributes from @catfordmorry and @bc_addick , well said chaps.