Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

airlines and the circus running them

long story short - flying back from belfast 30th july 2018 due to take off at 4.20pm dont end up taking off until 5.15pm, whilst airbourne we are told that because of an oil spillage in london we will not be able to land for an hour and the pilot informs us he does not have enough fuel to circle for an hour so we will be diverted to bournemouth to refuel, we land in bournemouth sit on the runway for 3.5 hours offered a soft cold drink or a pack of small crisps - but you could not have both, eventually we take off and land back into gatwick at 9.47pm instead of the 5.50pm we were meant to, filled in a claim for eu261 compensation, got a response today - thanks for claim etc but as not our fault we wont be paying out - you can recalim through our approved agents CEDR - filled the forms in a fucking £25.00 fee for each passenger if unsuccesful so that £75.00 if i dont win my claim.

my beef is if we had took off on time we would not of been delayed as would of missed the oil spillage

what a shit organisation.

Comments

• Options
    I guess Belfast only has one runway though

If its not too late might be worth going on a Flight tracking website to see if there were any planes that landed late between 4:20pm and 5:15pm that day or whether there where any other aircraft that took off late between those times

Cant imagine the Airline deliberately holding everyone up because they'd be fined themselves to taking up the Gate space @ Belfast so is bound to be another issue (rightly beyond your airlines control) that meant they couldnt take off
  • Options

If its not too late might be worth going on a Flight tracking website to see if there were any planes that landed late between 4:20pm and 5:15pm that day or whether there where any other aircraft that took off late between those times

Cant imagine the Airline deliberately holding everyone up because they'd be fined themselves to taking up the Gate space @ Belfast so is bound to be another issue (rightly beyond your airlines control) that meant they couldnt take off

the reason we were held up is because of a staff shortage meaning they were delayed on the flight over to belfast. it was belfast international airport
  • Options

the reason we were held up is because of a staff shortage meaning they were delayed on the flight over to belfast. it was belfast international airport
    In which case I'd agree... that IS the fault of the Airline then for not ensuring that all the required staff werent present in the first place
  • Options
    What pisses me off about airlines (much like mobile phone providers) is that they are all shit and the faults and issues are never their fault.

Most companies compete to be the best, airlines compete to see who can fuck the customers the most and make refunds/compensation the most difficult.
  • Options

What pisses me off about airlines (much like mobile phone providers) is that they are all shit and the faults and issues are never their fault.

Most companies compete to be the best, airlines compete to see who can fuck the customers the most and make refunds/compensation the most difficult.

Surely gotta add train operators to that list
  • Options

Surely gotta add train operators to that list
    The difference between the two is that the shit service you get from airlines is the trade-off for being fares being incredibly low. Sympathise with stories such as Palacehater's, but personally think that putting up with the occasional incident like that is a price worth paying in order to be able to fly to Europe and back for about £50. To offer those fares and still make a profit they need to be stingy about dishing out compensation, as irritating as that is for passengers.

Rail companies offer a far worse service on a daily basis, and we pay an absolute fortune for it. The compensation you get for delays is barely worth the hassle of filling the form in.

• Options
    As usual, Ryanair set the Gold Standard:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-45262871
  • Options
    We flew to Austin by Norwegian and had a 5 hour delay at Gatwick due to a technical fault requiring a plane to be brought from elsewhere.
    Once on the plane though for the cost of a little more than BAs economy Norwegians premium is superb. The service, seat and facilities were the best i've seen. Recommended.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Gatwick also has an emergency runway. Doubt coming from Belfast you were on a plane too big for it.
  • Options

long story short - flying back from belfast 30th july 2018 due to take off at 4.20pm dont end up taking off until 5.15pm, whilst airbourne we are told that because of an oil spillage in london we will not be able to land for an hour and the pilot informs us he does not have enough fuel to circle for an hour so we will be diverted to bournemouth to refuel, we land in bournemouth sit on the runway for 3.5 hours offered a soft cold drink or a pack of small crisps - but you could not have both, eventually we take off and land back into gatwick at 9.47pm instead of the 5.50pm we were meant to, filled in a claim for eu261 compensation, got a response today - thanks for claim etc but as not our fault we wont be paying out - you can recalim through our approved agents CEDR - filled the forms in a fucking £25.00 fee for each passenger if unsuccesful so that £75.00 if i dont win my claim.

my beef is if we had took off on time we would not of been delayed as would of missed the oil spillage

what a shit organisation.

You could argue that an oil spill is not an “extraordinary circumstance”. It potentially is, but I’d dispute it and ask for proof either way, if only to be a pain in the arse.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ryanair

"We don't give a fuck"
  • Options
    Just walked in the front door at 3am instead of around 10:45. Easy jetceasnt easy today.
  • Options
    Ryanair is a shambles, confuse the customer sooooo much that the customer doesn't know what needs to be paid until they get the the airport and be told that it's another £££££ because the bag is wrong.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/travel/2018/08/ryanair-cuts-it-hand-luggage-allowance-again

I find it hard to imagine a situation whereby I wouldn't HAVE TO pay any kind of luggage charge.

• Options

Ryanair is a shambles, confuse the customer sooooo much that the customer doesn't know what needs to be paid until they get the the airport and be told that it's another £££££ because the bag is wrong.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/travel/2018/08/ryanair-cuts-it-hand-luggage-allowance-again

I find it hard to imagine a situation whereby I wouldn't HAVE TO pay any kind of luggage charge.

One where you take correctly sized luggage?
  • Options
    A big mention for effing Qantas. I booked a flight for a member of my family from Bangkok to London via Singapore. I booked it on my mobile phone through Opodo 5 days ago. As he went to check in yesterday, he noticed I had spelt his surname wrong by one letter. The cost to fix? Cancelling the original £600 flight would cost £119, there would be an admin fee of £25 and to book a new flight with the correct spelling.....what do you reckon? £1550! A total of £1694. I cancelled and fortunately found a Cathay Pacific flight which meant that I was only £150 out of pocket. Qantas are cheating wotsits, I would say, and won’t get any business from me.
  • Options

Estimate I've flown fifty times with Ryanair in the past three years. Never had to pay a luggage charge above and beyond what I was already aware I had to.

Ryanair exist because people now think its realistic to pay 50 quid for a 4000 mile round trip, when 20 years ago if would have cost you 300. It only stands to reason that they'll look to shaftvyiubat every opportunity - they operate on the absolute tiniest of margins.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

One where you take correctly sized luggage?
    Not what he is saying in fairness SF. Okay it's called "priority booking", but it is actually a luggage charge.
  • Options
    Carter said:

Ryanair

"We don't give a fuck"

Friday night flight to Dublin meant to depart at 7pm ended up leaving at 9.36 because they had misplaced a piece of machinery used to start the plane!, as under 3 hours no compensation available
  • Options
    edited August 2018

Estimate I've flown fifty times with Ryanair in the past three years. Never had to pay a luggage charge above and beyond what I was already aware I had to.

Ryanair exist because people now think its realistic to pay 50 quid for a 4000 mile round trip, when 20 years ago if would have cost you 300. It only stands to reason that they'll look to shaftvyiubat every opportunity - they operate on the absolute tiniest of margins.
    Well, if you happen to be one of the people who got caught in this particular little scam you would have done Leroy, as they have stated: " ... the new bag policy will apply to all travel on/after 1 November – regardless of when you booked." In fairness. we had booked a flight last year, before they had their previous shift of goalposts, and they honoured the original contract. Clearly the "legal team" have told O'Reilly he can get away with this now...
  • Options
    On most routes, many people choose between low cost airlines and full service carriers. Low cost airlines are - as the name suggests - cheaper, but passengers have to put up with less reliable services; full-service carriers typically have a wider choice of higher fares, but they're backed up with better customer service before, during and after the flight.

A brand new Bentley will cost more than an 18 year old Toyota. So you can't expect the Toyota to offer the same comfort and reliability as the Bentley.

You pays your money...

On average, low cost airlines flying on the Belfast-London or Dublin-London routes make a profit, per passenger of £1.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2018

Carter said:

Ryanair

"We don't give a fuck"

Friday night flight to Dublin meant to depart at 7pm ended up leaving at 9.36 because they had misplaced a piece of machinery used to start the plane!, as under 3 hours no compensation available
    Compensation? I was delayed for over 3 hours Friday night. I’ve not heard of this.
    Could someone please let me know Where would I begin to claim for compo? Is it with the airline themselves or through a ‘claim company’.
  • Options
    ozaddick said:

Carter said:

Ryanair

"We don't give a fuck"

Compensation? I was delayed for over 3 hours Friday night. I’ve not heard of this.
    Could someone please let me know Where would I begin to claim for compo? Is it with the airline themselves or through a ‘claim company’.
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/flight-delays/
    This has all the information you'll need.