Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Travel Tips: Rome and Tuscany

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2018
    I just spent the five minutes in Pisa, (the coach taking us on the tour broke down after leaving Florence (incredibly small buses by the way, and I was very disapointed that the statue of David that everyone carefully photographs is a copy). In these Pisan five minutes we took a few secs for the traditional crowded photo holding the tower up, looked at the usual tourist crap in the shops, and then had a rushed drive to catch the cruise ship before it sailed. Not my greatest tourist memory.

Oh but Portofino is nice, Naples a dump, and the Italian Lakes beautiful. Rome was great apart from the limbless beggers and gypsy women carrying babies everywhere.
  • Options
    Sienna, Lucca, San gimignano all superb. Can be tricky parking so get there early. Love Florence. I think this is my favourite part of Europe. Never been Pompeii but will go one day.

As for Pisa, I thought it was amazing but it really is just the tower/Duomo to see so I would only go if you can spare the time and don’t have to go too far out of your way.
  • Options
    redman said:

Rome very easy to get about and everything walkable although Vatican a bit further out. ( The vatican gets very crowded and not sure if it's good for a 3 year old. There is so much to see in Rome though. A wonderful Basilica sometimes just seems to appear out of nowhere. Most of these are free as well (donations hinted!).

Tuscany is wonderful. We did a wine tour but agree it was quite pricey. Many of the wineries do advertise tastings if you just turn up.

Florence is wonderful city. The Uffizi is an amazing gallery. We took a guided tour (which we booked before we went). Two advantages; firstly they point out the important paintings and the explain what it is about; secondly get you in with minimal queuing. The Accademia is not a big deal; there is an exact replica of Michaelangelo's David just outside the Uffizi.

For restaurants I would suggest going just south of the river. These are cheaper and probably better than in core of city. We went to 3 as recommended by a local guide on first day we were there. The one that stands out in my mind was Mamma Gina (or something similar). When I say outside the core I am talking less than 100 yards from the main bridge in the city centre.

Pisa, imho, is a waste of time but Sienna is definitely worth a visit. The most amazing cathedral (whereas Florence is only worth seeing from the outside), with a floor that is stunning as well as everything else. Only downside to Sienna is parking.
    In fact this is something you should be aware of at many of wonderful towns scattered around Tuscany; most are car free which is great but needs a walk (generally uphill!) from the car park.

Enjoy!

We took a taxi for what should have been a long journey from the Vatican to the Spanish Steps. Never been so scared in my life. Hurtled across Rome in a Fiat Multipla with the driver shouting on the phone to base, the radio on full blast, and him waving and gesticulating to traffic policemen & other taxi drivers etc, worst three minutes of my life!

Walking around the forum, from the Colleseum, was great but a guide book would be useful as there was no tourist information at all, and I didnt have a scooby what all the buildings were.
  • Options
    I'd definitely advise a trip to Siena...look up the Paleo ...rather than Tuscany itself try a tad further south to Umbria...it's a bit less touristy but beautiful scenery and some lovely hill towns...you won t be far from Assisi either which is worth a visit

I'd save the visit to Pompeii for another time as Naples/amalfi coast is worth a separate holiday..

I am very jealous you will love it