Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cycle commute across town, route question

Comments

• Options
    razil said:

Took the carbon fibre rb today, lycra'd up.. took longer (went slightly different quiet route through borough, missed Westminster bridge and had to double back from Vauxhall I think).

Might be a tad quicker and was more fun on the big straights, but I stress about damaging the bike on rough city roads, the light steering at high speed and cobbled speed traps some bike lanes have.

Also not much of a work out and barely broke sweat over 16 miles, could be all the stop start though.

Will try the quicker (but longer) route home on cycle routes and see if its worth using the rb rather than my alu commuter..

You won't damage the bike unless you bin it on a drain, white/yellow lines (or, laughably, the oil-slick consistency of the cycle lanes) in the wet. Carbon bikes do Paris-Roubaix every year, and despite the potholes I don't think they'd be as bad as the Arenberg :lol:

Commuting in London is a totally different beast. If you want to do it as a workout, treat every set of lights as a sprint, with a big push away from them when they turn green. Like a giant interval session :smiley: I commuted from Reigate for a year, then Woking for six months - then when I moved Up North, from Chorley to Manchester for a year. All of those involved between 10-15 miles on quiet roads before 10-15 miles on city roads - which basically meant two completely different rides - on the way in, the first part was TT training, second was crit training, then the reverse on the way home.
  • Options
    must have taken forever..
  • Options
    razil said:

must have taken forever..

About an hour and 20 minutes each way to/from Woking, an hour 15 to/from Reigate and an hour 10 to/from Chorley
  • Options
    Sounded more..

Rode back tonight fastest time yet and that’s with the two hills - G park and Old Rochester way. Much better work out too, will stick to that route from now on. Tricky turning left going South over Blackfriars..
  • Options
    razil said:

Sounded more..

Rode back tonight fastest time yet and that’s with the two hills - G park and Old Rochester way. Much better work out too, will stick to that route from now on. Tricky turning left going South over Blackfriars..

Would have been longer, but I used it for training so gave it a bit of a dig. You on Strava?
  • Options
    No I’m guessing I should be?
  • Options
    razil said:

No I’m guessing I should be?

Not at all if you don't want to be. Just that a lot of people are - and aside from all the willy waving, it makes it easy to see where you're going faster in certain routes/sections
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    @razil - when turning left over blackfriars going south, I find it easier just to do what the traffic lights tell me :-)
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    @charlton Charlie its a 2 (or even 3) stage junction though and far too complicated for the likes of me.. I suppose just stop at the second stage to avoid getting hit by the oncoming traffic, will give it a try

@Leroy Ambrose I'll give it a look

• Options
    I've got into cycling over the summer and go out for a 30 minute blast most evenings. I was thinking of using hire bikes when I stay in London but they look like they either weigh a ton or are built for midgets. Any recommendations (other than bringing my own) for someone who's quite tall?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    razil said:

@charlton Charlie its a 2 (or even 3) stage junction though and far too complicated for the likes of me.. I suppose just stop at the second stage to avoid getting hit by the oncoming traffic, will give it a try

@LenGlover I'll give it a look

Think you mean @Leroy Ambrose

I've not commuted on a bike since a lorry knocked me off in New Cross c1978.

Fortunately I saw it coming so was able to jump off before impact but that was enough to put me off doing it again.
  • Options
    @SantaClaus - do you mean for recreational use / your usual 'blast' when youre here? The boris bikes do weigh a ton but can fit most people...so you'll still be able to ride (and may even be a good work out, depending on your fitness)...but I doubt theyre much fun for anything other than commuting...pootling about town... For anything else I am stumped am afraid...

@razil it's two stage...just don't swing left at the first green light...that simply gives you permission to move into the holding pen to turn left...you then need to look at the lights now facing you from Southwark St.. If you try and shoot left on the first lights, you're going to get hit by a car approaching B'frairs from the south...if you try and jump the second lights cos it's all clear from the south, you're going to get hit by a car coming off b'frairs heading south...
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

razil said:

@LenGlover I'll give it a look

Think you mean @Leroy Ambrose

I've not commuted on a bike since a lorry knocked me off in New Cross c1978.

Fortunately I saw it coming so was able to jump off before impact but that was enough to put me off doing it again.
    oopsie :)
  • Options

I've got into cycling over the summer and go out for a 30 minute blast most evenings. I was thinking of using hire bikes when I stay in London but they look like they either weigh a ton or are built for midgets. Any recommendations (other than bringing my own) for someone who's quite tall?

Not really - the hire bikes are very heavy, but the new model can be adjusted a bit more easily because there's a saddle height adjustment (think you could do it with the old ones but it was a faff)

I don't think any other operators have bikes in Central London (mobikes are in the city of London only I believe)
  • Options

Not really - the hire bikes are very heavy, but the new model can be adjusted a bit more easily because there's a saddle height adjustment (think you could do it with the old ones but it was a faff)

I don't think any other operators have bikes in Central London (mobikes are in the city of London only I believe)
    I've seen the yellow bikes parked around Pimlico (where I usually stay) but they looked pretty small. I think I'll have to man up and give the Boris bike a go. Thanks for the feedback.
  • Options

I've seen the yellow bikes parked around Pimlico (where I usually stay) but they looked pretty small. I think I'll have to man up and give the Boris bike a go. Thanks for the feedback.
    The yellow “OFO” ones are okay but there’s a fine if you take them out of their zone and really weirdly you also get fined if you collect one out of their zone and ride it back in to the zone for them???? There’s an app for this and the mobikes, I’ve not tried the mobikes but they do look groovier with their 80’s BMX mag wheels....think their zone is now bigger than just the city but check the app first - I’ve also heard they cost more than a Santander/Barclay/Boris/Sadiq and more than the yellow OFO’s too....
  • Options
    Slightly off topic, but if this repository of knowledge can help, that would be great. I was thinking of cycling down to Herne Bay, probably from Dartford along route NCR1. Has anyone done this, is there a better route and can I do it on a road bike or is a hybrid/commuter bike better. I know it goes along the Creek at Faversham, which would be no good for the road bike. Does it do this anywhere else? Thanks for any help.
  • Options

Slightly off topic, but if this repository of knowledge can help, that would be great. I was thinking of cycling down to Herne Bay, probably from Dartford along route NCR1. Has anyone done this, is there a better route and can I do it on a road bike or is a hybrid/commuter bike better. I know it goes along the Creek at Faversham, which would be no good for the road bike. Does it do this anywhere else? Thanks for any help.

I've cycled this from Woolwich to Canterbury and there are definitely bits that are a bit rugged.
    I use a touring bike and my partner a hybrid and they both cope well. I'd say the issue won't be your bike, it'll be the tyres. Some parts are very gravelly.
    That said it's a lovely route.
  • Options
    Thanks for your advice Iainment, looks like the hybrid will be the steed of choice.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    I noticed Strava mentioned on here, I am Louis MW on Strava and can regularly be seen cycling round London's roads in a Charlton top so wave at me if you see me! Would be good to get a few of us following each other.

Ignore the fact I am wearing my joint 2nd favourite team's top in my profile pic...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Huskaris said:

I noticed Strava mentioned on here, I am Louis MW on Strava and can regularly be seen cycling round London's roads in a Charlton top so wave at me if you see me! Would be good to get a few of us following each other.

Ignore the fact I am wearing my joint 2nd favourite team's top in my profile pic...

Just added you. I'm a displaced Londoner living in Manchester so don't get freaked out when someone from oop North adds you... :lol:
  • Options
    is the CL strava group still going? Know I was (am) a member, but tend not to look at any groups these days.... Am wearing my CAFC/ MIllitag shirt on today's commute...
  • Options

is the CL strava group still going? Know I was (am) a member, but tend not to look at any groups these days.... Am wearing my CAFC/ MIllitag shirt on today's commute...

Yep - just checked and its still there. I wore my CAFC shirt a couple of weeks back for the first time in ages!
  • Options
    I have a CAFC cycling top but never worn it as it was a size too big
  • Options

Huskaris said:

Just added you. I'm a displaced Londoner living in Manchester so don't get freaked out when someone from oop North adds you... :lol:
    Wow, you are pretty rapid. How does it feel after you have done 150 miles? I am hoping to do that every day for 4 days to cycle to the South of France next year, I am pretty good (or so I like to think) but that's more in terms of pace
  • Options

Thanks for your advice Iainment, looks like the hybrid will be the steed of choice.

Have you done this yet?
  • Options
    Sadiq Khan has beat me with this ulez. I am now seriously considering cycling part of my way into the city. I'll be leaving the car outside London and then on the bike using CS3 at Barking. Pick up the new section at Tower hill and up to Blackfriars. Then a right turn onto the newer north/south superhighway and up to Farringdon. About 12/13 miles.
    Bit daunting to be honest but should help my fitness as well as saving a few quid.
    I plan to do it on my Specialized road bike. Not sure of that's wholly feasible but, although I haven't ridden on them as yet the cycle lanes I've seen do look in good nick apart from when you get further out and meet a few bumps and drops on what is essentially a footpath.

Any advice/piss taking greatly appreciated.
    :-)
  • Options
    Sadiq Khan has beat me with this ulez. I am now seriously considering cycling part of my way into the city. I'll be leaving the car outside London and then on the bike using CS3 at Barking. Pick up the new section at Tower hill and up to Blackfriars. Then a right turn onto the newer north/south superhighway and up to Farringdon. About 12/13 miles.
    Bit daunting to be honest but should help my fitness as well as saving a few quid.
    I plan to do it on my Specialized road bike. Not sure of that's wholly feasible but, although I haven't ridden on them as yet the cycle lanes I've seen do look in good nick apart from when you get further out and meet a few bumps and drops on what is essentially a footpath.

Any advice/piss taking greatly appreciated.
    :-)
    Bike commuting really is the future - especially in cities like London and Manchester, where the roads really weren't designed for cars at all. 

Buy some heavy duty tyres (most road bikes nowadays come with clearance for 25mm or even 28mm tyres) because you WILL get punctures, and the less you get the better. Also get a set of mudguards (a wet arse is not nice) - again, unless you've got a race frame, most road bikes will have clearance and eyelets for mudguards. 

Be careful with the bike lanes. Unless they've changed them since I was commuting in London (four years ago now) they used to be painted with PTFE paint - which makes a reasonable job of keeping them clean, but turns them into ice rinks when it's wet - especially if it hasn't rained for a few days beforehand as all the grease and silt collects on them. 

If you find it's too much to do every day to start with, try doing alternate days at the beginning. Another tactic is to ride in one day, leave your bike at work and get public transport, then get PT to work the next day and ride home. 

If there is any chance you possibly can, leave your bike indoors. If you don't, eventually it will get nicked, no matter how secure you think it is outside - it's only a matter of time.

Get a decent light for the front - one that has a flash setting and a steady state setting that lasts more than an hour with a reasonable amount of power. The rear light isn't as important as people make out (if someone is going to hit you from behind it will be because they are either a: on their phone, b: a shit driver, or c: a prick - you can be lit up like a Christmas tree, it won't have any effect), pretty much any light that flashes will do the job.

Beware the left hook and the car door. Also, the standard of bus driving in London is atrocious - expect to be routinely ignored. Black cab drivers are generally OK - though some are just obnoxious pricks their driving is (usually) decent - though they are prone to sudden u turns without checking their mirrors. Jihaddison Lee are the worst drivers in the history of motor vehicles. Be extra cautious around them.

Good luck! Once you get into the swing of it, you'll be fine
  • Options
    25c Gatorskins are a good commuting tyre.
    Lights, i prefer steady as opposed to flashing, nothing  fancy. If you see someone sitting in a parked car watch for the lean to the left. A sure sign they're going to  open the door.
  • Options
    Urgh. Skaterskins. Durable, but slippy as f**k in the wet