Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Barry Davies or John Motson

Comments

• Options
    Motson
    Davies comes across as a bit of a snob
  • Options
    Motson, of course.
  • Options
    Martin Keown
  • Options
    Davies, every day of the week.

If only someone used a line from his 1988 Olympic Mens' Hockey Final commentary in the World Cup last week:

"Where were the Germans? And frankly, who cares?!"
  • Options
    Davies. All day long. The end.

Barry Davies > Motson > Bryan Moore
  • Options
    Davies by a country mile
  • Options
    Davies
  • Options
    Davies for me, his all round versatility and his use of words, whether the express joy or disapproval
  • Options
    Simply no contest. I love Motty but he has spent the last 10 years moulding his image as "Motty". I'm not against this, the BBC have a history if iconic commentators for each sport: McLaren = Rugby Union, Eddie Waring = Rugby League, Peter O'Sullivan - Horse Racing, Dan Maskell- Tennis, John Arlott/Brian Johnston - Cricket etc etc. However! Barry Davies transcended many sports: football, tennis, athletics, Winter Olympics and many more and of course Hockey! Of course I love the Franny Lee piece mentioned already but nothing in the history of BBC commentary ever gets close to his classic; and I include Kenneth Wolstenholme's iconic words. The best ever piece of BBC sports commentary was these wonderful words from Barry - "Where were the Germans?"
    "Frankly, who cares?"
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    neither can hold a candle to Emma?, who did the CAFC radio commentaries.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    McBobbin said:

Davies, if only for his work on Big Train

this......

just love a good stare competition.
  • Options

McBobbin said:

this......

just love a good stare competition.
    Who wins out of you and Large?
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Davies for this very reason.

https://youtu.be/DkI85Kt10e4
  • Options
    Moore and Hill would absolutely smash both Davies and Motson
  • Options
    This is like comparing a fine wine to Diet Pepsi. Davies , although as someone else said, Brian Moore was the king
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

This is like comparing a fine wine to Diet Pepsi. Davies , although as someone else said, Brian Moore was the king

As much as my teenage memories are of Brian Moore on 'The Big Match' - if we are talking about football commentators or even general sports commentators then nobody comes close to David Coleman.
  • Options
    Motty. Not sure why it’s even a question.
  • Options
    As an aside I have met and interviewed both men and both are completely charming in their own way but for me Davies offered the better more memorable lines and his powers of description were better.
  • Options
    bit of a landslide this.
    quick skim of the comments its around 25-8 in favour of Davies (give or take a couple for potentially miscounting)
  • Options

bit of a landslide this.
    quick skim of the comments its around 25-8 in favour of Davies (give or take a couple for potentially miscounting)

Interesting, very interesting!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I like both of them so its, Barry Motson for me.
  • Options
    I think had Motson packed in ten years ago the vote would have been a bit more split.

With Davies I think I appreciated his commentary a bit more the older I got. Always a sense though with Davies of him being on the wrong side of self opinionated and a bit more about him imo, where as Motson always seemed more of a genuine football lover and a more neutral reporter of action
  • Options
    Don’t like either of their commentaries if I’m being honest. Motson sounds like a complete nerd and his voice annoys me. Became a total parody of himself in latter years. Davies just sounds like a self opinionated supercilious arse. Can’t comment on either of them personally as I’ve never met them. Davies looked seriously unwell on the recent documentary.

Good commentators are thin on the ground. I absolutely detest Tyldesley. Don’t mind Jonathan Pearce but he could become a self parody very easily if he doesn’t watch out.
  • Options
    I know we've spoken about Davies on here before but this is my all time favourite bit of Davies for obvious reasons...

https://youtu.be/GVMaIUSeRxA
  • Options
    Davies by a country mile. Always remember his commentary of the England vs Netherlands game at Euro 96 when the whole of Wembley was singing 3 Lions
  • Options
    No preference
  • Options
    Has to be Davies, also a big fan of Moore and Wolstenholme. Certainly Colman must have been the most versatile also making "Grandstand" the iconic programme it became, and you can add to that "A Question of Sport".
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Tramp said:

Has to be Davies, also a big fan of Moore and Wolstenholme. Certainly Colman must have been the most versatile also making "Grandstand" the iconic programme it became, and you can add to that "A Question of Sport".

And Sportsnight with Coleman.
  • Options
    Davies when it comes to these two but I also really like Peter Brackley
  • Options
    Like them both in different ways so difficult to choose but it's fair to say, imo, that both are in a different league to the relentless drone of Martin Tyler.

The best for me is Brian Moore simply for one line of commentary, '...and it becomes the perfect start!'