Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tour de France (2023 from p54)

Comments

• Options
    Cycling team backed by a chemicals company, interesting.
  • Options
    Interesting that there are those within the Sport that are concerned about the money being thrown about with Team Ineos

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/47633074

Am sorry but have they been asleep or in a different Universe since SKY created a team?
  • Options
    felt really pleased for Thomas especially when questioned by the press yesterday he broke down in tears. I'm sure even the French fans would appreciate how much it means to him to win the Tour. on a side note, apart from the inevitable advert breaks, I really think ITV do a great job with their intelligent and professional coverage of the Tour. been doing great work for years now. David Millar with his insights and honesty. Ned Boulting with his measured delivery and of course the slick and funny Gary Imlach. shame they do such a crap job on their football coverage.
    Guggenhiemesque, not sure we would ever hear that in a football programme!
    Or read it on CL.
  • Options
    is it still 4 more stage wins he needs to get on level terms with Eddy Merckx?
    Yup...
    A couple of years ago I thought he'd do it but now I think he won't.  Just a bit to far the wrong side of 30 and so many good sprinters coming up.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    Best response on that thread: "Lets see who can have the biggest C02 [sic] footprint and pollute the most".
  • Options
    Sky were running the Ocean Rescue campaign aimed at removing plastics from the oceans. Ineos are one of the biggest producers of plastics that end up in the oceans.
    But at least sponsoring the team formerly known as Sky will make them look more green. 
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Cycling team backed by a chemicals company, interesting.
    As far as I can see they are into petro chemicals not drugs, biggest plastic manufacturer in the UK.
  • Options

Britain's four-time champion Chris Froome has been ruled out of the Tour de France after a "very serious" crash.

Team Ineos rider Froome, 34, was taken to hospital with a reported broken pelvis after crashing before stage four of the Criterium du Dauphine on Wednesday.

"He crashed in the downhill section of the course at high speed. He hit a wall," team principal Dave Brailsford told France Televisions. "It'll take quite a long time before he races again."

The incident took place during a practice ride on Wednesday's 26.1km time-trial course in Roanne, France.

Brailsford said: "The ambulance came quickly. He's been taken care of and waits for a helicopter to be transferred to Lyon or Saint-Etienne.

"It's a very serious accident. Clearly, he won't be at the start of the Tour de France."

Froome would have been chasing a record-equalling fifth victory in the Tour, which starts in Brussels on 6 July.

• Options

Britain's four-time champion Chris Froome has been ruled out of the Tour de France after a "very serious" crash.

Team Ineos rider Froome, 34, was taken to hospital with a reported broken pelvis after crashing before stage four of the Criterium du Dauphine on Wednesday.

"He crashed in the downhill section of the course at high speed. He hit a wall," team principal Dave Brailsford told France Televisions. "It'll take quite a long time before he races again."

The incident took place during a practice ride on Wednesday's 26.1km time-trial course in Roanne, France.

Brailsford said: "The ambulance came quickly. He's been taken care of and waits for a helicopter to be transferred to Lyon or Saint-Etienne.

"It's a very serious accident. Clearly, he won't be at the start of the Tour de France."

Froome would have been chasing a record-equalling fifth victory in the Tour, which starts in Brussels on 6 July.

Crap. 

All the the best to him, bloody awful timing. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wonder if another TdF title will start to elude Froome like the stage victories have eluded Cavendish

On a bright note its a great chance for Geraint to show it wasnt a one off last year - Just disappointing that once again we wont get a proper Froome v Porte showdown as that could have been a great "friendly" rivalry
  • Options
    Sad for Chris Froome, a truly great rider. I wish him a speedy recovery and hope we see him back racing very soon. That said, the morphing of his team from a team backed by a nasty right-wing media organisation to a team backed by a chemical company without a social or environmental conscience, makes it rather easier for me to look for some other British riders to support.  
  • Options
    I feel a bit guilty because as soon as heard (on 5Live) that he’d crashed I put a few quid on Geraint Thomas for the Tour at 3/1. Bit slack of Paddy Power to be so slow on the uptake. 
    But felt quite bad when I heard much later how badly he’d been injured. 
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Currently in intensive care with a broken hip, elbow, ribs and leg.

Going to be a very very long time before he races again, if indeed he ever fully recovers to race again.
  • Options
    Currently in intensive care with a broken hip, elbow, ribs and leg.

Going to be a very very long time before he races again, if indeed he ever fully recovers to race again.
    That’s the problem. Will be tough for him to get back to his high standards. 
  • Options
    Geraint Thomas crashes out of the tour of Switzerland
  • Options
    Could be the first year we dont have a British influence on a jersey for quite a few years - Unless one of the Yates Brothers can step up of course

Great opportunity for Tom Dumoulin if Thomas isnt there
  • Options
    Could just be a precaution those as no broken bones

• Options
    Could be the first year we dont have a British influence on a jersey for quite a few years - Unless one of the Yates Brothers can step up of course

He's injured as well though, seen today that he cancelled an altitude training camp as he still has problems with his knee.
  • Options

He's injured as well though, seen today that he cancelled an altitude training camp as he still has problems with his knee.
    He (Dumoulin) struggled in the Criterium that finished at the weekend. I know they like to keep their powder dry for the Tour but he did not look strong at all.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Blimey could be a very open Tour this year then

How is Porte looking?
  • Options
    Dumoulin should have done the same prep as Contador.  Even if Thomas was fit, I'd still fancy a fit Bernal to become leader.  Let's hope Thomas get's to the starting line.

Don't think Dumoulin had a  knee joint problem.  He had a deep cut from his chainset.  He had an operation to remove a shard of gravel near the knee.  He's now off to altitude training.... Stop press eastandmike is right, he turned his car around from altitude training.  Either way if he was there or not, he wouldn't win the Tour.  He has to be physically and psychologically perfect for the Tour.  He can't ride away from the best climbers, and he doesn't have the team for an off moment let alone day.
  • Options
    Porte's not impressive.  11th in Dauphine, did do a reasonable time trial.  Wout Poels will finish higher.
  • Options
    Blimey could be a very open Tour this year then

How is Porte looking?
    He’s getting on a bit isn’t he? Although he is due a bit of luck. 
  • Options
    Has Tao got a chance or will he be a domestique or not in the mix?
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Good news Geraint rides!  I wouldn't have thought it was in Tao's race programme.  He'd go for the Vuelta.  But no, the climbing at the Giro can be harder, but is not  as competitive.  Both he and Sivakov are just off the best climbers in a Gt at the moment.

Vuelta it's possible he and Sivakov may make that leap.
  • Options
    2019 Riders have been announced; From Great Britain we've got:

Geraint Thomas | Adam Yates | Simon Yates | Mark Cavendish | Luke Rowe

I know we've got Froome missing but seems even less British riders involved this year compared to recent outings

Certainly curious to see what Cav's role will be seeing that there is no Renshaw to lead him out, really want him to get just one more stage!!
  • Options
    OK guys with a week to go, who should I be having a few quid each way on? 
  • Options
    edited June 2019

@ForeverAddickted
    Alex Dowsett? 

Dan Martin - born in Birmingham :smiley:
  • Options
    OK guys with a week to go, who should I be having a few quid each way on? 
    Egan Bernal, but depends on odds