Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Palace late to file accounts

Comments

• Options

I’m sure I can’t / won’t happen but I’ve been dying for one of the “greedy bollox” “big” clubs to hit the real skids. As Leroy has already posted football is a disgrace the way it conducts itself and a club of Villa’s standing needs to go pop or at least be hit so fecking hard it sends out a lesson that no club is too big to suffer the same fate.

Trouble is the problem will be seen by other big clubs as Villa got relegated and didn't come back up.

So the solution could be to either spend even more to avoid relegation or just ban relegation
    The sooner they ban relegation the better.

The leagues left can then get on with selling their own product and build sustainable football.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

I’m sure I can’t / won’t happen but I’ve been dying for one of the “greedy bollox” “big” clubs to hit the real skids. As Leroy has already posted football is a disgrace the way it conducts itself and a club of Villa’s standing needs to go pop or at least be hit so fecking hard it sends out a lesson that no club is too big to suffer the same fate.

Trouble is the problem will be seen by other big clubs as Villa got relegated and didn't come back up.

So the solution could be to either spend even more to avoid relegation or just ban relegation
    The sooner they ban relegation the better.

The leagues left can then get on with selling their own product and build sustainable football.
    You still here Roland???? JSTC&FO!!! :wink:
  • Options

I am sure they will sort this out, but I am convinced something isn't right there, in the boardroom. Parish on his own never let anything like that happen, not was he ever known for stuff like that in his advertising business. Something's up with those Yanks.

I think you're right @PragueAddick .

My contact who works for Palace and is generally free an easy with his damning information on them has been really quiet about this one.

Phil Alexander, their CEO has been there since 1996 and is the longest serving CEO in the Football League, (as he's keen to tell anybody whose interested) and he knows the score. Now this has been made public, he would have been on the tail of the FD to get this wrapped up - Bank Holiday weekend or not, as surely most of the data would be there already for the final returns.

They still haven't filed them - so there must be something that's causing issues and it's obviously not about having the money to pay it.

They must have the money as they have planning permission in for a two thirds the width of the pitch new main stand with funding in place. Their PL 'prize money' for the 2017/18 season amounted to £114,307,662 so they're not short of a few bob.

• Options
    Addickted said:

I am sure they will sort this out, but I am convinced something isn't right there, in the boardroom. Parish on his own never let anything like that happen, not was he ever known for stuff like that in his advertising business. Something's up with those Yanks.

My contact who works for Palace and is generally free an easy with his damning information on them has been really quiet about this one.

Phil Alexander, their CEO has been there since 1996 and is the longest serving CEO in the Football League, (as he's keen to tell anybody whose interested) and he knows the score. Now this has been made public, he would have been on the tail of the FD to get this wrapped up - Bank Holiday weekend or not, as surely most of the data would be there already for the final returns.

They still haven't filed them - so there must be something that's causing issues and it's obviously not about having the money to pay it.

They must have the money as they have planning permission in for a two thirds the width of the pitch new main stand with funding in place. Their PL 'prize money' for the 2017/18 season amounted to £114,307,662 so they're not short of a few bob.

Then I don’t understand what possible reason it could be if not money ?

• Options

Addickted said:

They’ve all been using their company cards to pay for rent boys and are trying to cover it up (hence the palace/Brighton gay off )
  • Options
    If they need an accountant to help them out, I'm available
  • Options

Addickted said:

Exactly. As much as it's a nice article to read about, it's probably something to do with the investors wanting dividends which may affect the books. I'll be amazed if this results in anything more than a token gesture fine.
  • Options

Addickted said:

Probably something to do with what happens to the money; director salaries, loans, dividends. I never liked the look of Josh Harris.

• Options
    Addickted said:

I'm assuming these are accounts for 2016/17 - the financial year for football clubs runs 1/7 - 30/6 so the 2017/18 financial year hasn't ended yet! The data for 2016/17 would have all been available following audit - probably around September last year.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Addickted said:

I'm assuming these are accounts for 2016/17 - the financial year for football clubs runs 1/7 - 30/6 so the 2017/18 financial year hasn't ended yet! The data for 2016/17 would have all been available following audit - probably around September last year.
    It's possible that there's been a delay in getting the accounts signed off by the auditors, that's the only reason for the delay which makes sense
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I didn't really follow it... Why did Rangers go under? Was that unpaid tax?
  • Options

bobmunro said:

Addickted said:

It's possible that there's been a delay in getting the accounts signed off by the auditors, that's the only reason for the delay which makes sense
    The Guardian says:-

All limited companies must by law file accounts to Companies House within nine months of the end of their designated financial year. CPFC 2010 Ltd has a year end of 30 June, so the accounts for last year, the club’s fourth season since winning promotion in 2013, were due by 31 March.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jun/05/crystal-palace-threatened-with-being-dissolved-over-late-accounts
  • Options

bobmunro said:

Addickted said:

The Guardian says:-

All limited companies must by law file accounts to Companies House within nine months of the end of their designated financial year. CPFC 2010 Ltd has a year end of 30 June, so the accounts for last year, the club’s fourth season since winning promotion in 2013, were due by 31 March.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jun/05/crystal-palace-threatened-with-being-dissolved-over-late-accounts
    If the auditors aren't happy with the accounts and won't sign them, then the accounts can't be filed. Alternatively, they may want to qualify them, and if Palace don't want to file them in this state, there will be a delay while the issues are resolved
  • Options

going into Administration didn't do Southampton any harm. Relegated to League One, paid their creditors something daft like 10p in the £, new owners then pick them up for nowt & spend big on players to get promoted. Easy.

Now, if going into Administration meant that for every new player you buy you have to spend the same amount paying your creditors back it might be a bit more of a deterrent

The whole law around company liquidation and the concept of limited liability would need complete overhaul.

Not that I'm disagreeing with you but it will never happen.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

going into Administration didn't do Southampton any harm. Relegated to League One, paid their creditors something daft like 10p in the £, new owners then pick them up for nowt & spend big on players to get promoted. Easy.

Now, if going into Administration meant that for every new player you buy you have to spend the same amount paying your creditors back it might be a bit more of a deterrent

The whole law around company liquidation and the concept of limited liability would need complete overhaul.

It's worse in football as football creditors somehow take priority, and I have always struggled to understand how this can be the case. I think HMRC have challenged it in the past, and lost, but my memory is vague and I've done no research.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

It could be sorted by a change in FA rules so that football clubs have to pay at the time for everything they buy, rather like it is for most of us when we go to the shops.
  • Options
    IdleHans said:

bobmunro said:

It's worse in football as football creditors somehow take priority, and I have always struggled to understand how this can be the case. I think HMRC have challenged it in the past, and lost, but my memory is vague and I've done no research.
    Yes that rule still exists - although HMRC and secured creditors take priority.

The argument is that unless players are paid and transfer fees honoured it could lead to a domino effect affecting other clubs. That could apply to a number of industries but again football is treated as a special case.
  • Options

bobmunro said:

It could be sorted by a change in FA rules so that football clubs have to pay at the time for everything they buy, rather like it is for most of us when we go to the shops.
    Don't many of us pay with credit cards?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bobmunro said:

You are so right. Clubs like so many companies have their trading account in a limited company with little to no assets, and their big assets like ground etc in others that don’t trade. It is only the trading accounts that go into liquidation so the grounds etc are not usually at risk unless they have been used to secure loans.

The small trader gets bugger all because when the trading company goes pop there is no assets to realise. Players wages etc will be paid from that company so Revenue and Customs get nothing.

Banks have their loans secured to land and buildings so they are watertight.

There are laws against trading illegally, which basically means trading knowing that you are unable to pay your bills. It also covers shadow directors and directors by association. In fact it is a very good law and the punishment appropriate (prison). Pity it is hardly ever used.
  • Options
    IIRC 25 point deduction for Palace if they go into Administration again.

Highly unlikely though.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

I didn't really follow it... Why did Rangers go under? Was that unpaid tax?

Deliberately so.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/15803387.Not_a_penny_of___72m_owed_in_Rangers_tax_case_has_been_paid/
  • Options
    I think clubs going into admin shouldn’t be able to achieve a promotion for three years.
  • Options
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jun/06/premier-league-finances-club-guide-2016-17

Just wanted to post this so that we can all see that the Place section is blank.
  • Options

I think automatic relegation should be top of the list. In addition any parachute payments should be applied to debts. Only new investment can be used to rebuild the club

Parachute payments is a good point. The current system is morally wrong if teams after screwing their creditors can benefit from the massive PL income and parachute payments without repaying them
  • Options
    We had some issues with Quickbooks and our accountant needed an extra week to file our accounts. He cleared it with HMRC and everything was done properly. I then got a letter in the post asking us to pay a fine for being late! I spoke to our accountant, as he told us there was no problem and the lateness was partly his fault. He said to ignore it as it was just a letter they send to scare people. Have heard nothing more about it!

HMRC act like this to honest businesses who pay their dues, but let those that hide from them get away! Not looking to defend Palace here, but seems like a non story!