Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Man City linked with Sarmiento

Comments

• Options
    Can't see them collecting the additional £250,000 for 10, 20, 30, 40 appearances.
  • Options

6 mill for a player i've never heard of , yes please.

I don't think this is likely to happen , and maybe its just agent talk to get a new contract.

As he's only 15 I admire his agent for playing the long game.
  • Options

iaitch said:

He'll join the conveyor belt of City youngsters that have made their way into the first team....oh hang on.

No its fine, Phil Foden and another youngster picked up medals so they must really trust them........5 appearances equating to about 90 minutes between them shows the level of trust displayed.
    To be fair I think you might have picked on the wrong example because a 17 year old to pick up a PL medal (especially as Guardiola only brought him on in the last match so he qualified to get that) is, in my opinion, absolutely fantastic.

As is being a member of the CL squad and training with world class midfielders like Silva and De Bruyne under the influence of one of the best coaches around to learn from. Foden, instead, could have been playing as at a League 1 Club trying to avoid getting kicked off the park and learning from the likes of Robinson about how to pass it sideways when you can't find that sole man up front.

Equally, how many minutes did all our 17 year olds in total play for us last season in League 1? The answer is none as I would suspect be the case if we raised the bar to under 20. And one things for certain. They had no medals to show for it.

Not every move to a PL Club is wrong for a youngster. A lot are but there are exceptions. Ask the likes of Gomez, Lookman and Shelvey whether they should have stayed longer with us and I suspect that the answer will be "no".

• Options

I don't think this is likely to happen , and maybe its just agent talk to get a new contract.

The difference is he’s not just a good player....he’s incredibly highly rated. England rushed him into the team to prevent Ecuador nabbing him. We have been fighting people off for a long time (at least a season) since he was 14 and playing well above his age
  • Options
    Foden has had a great chance for Man City and will continue to do so next season am sure - Its also good that the England Senior Squad are keeping an eye on him as Gareth Southgate briefly mentioned his name in the Press Conference yesterday

What wont help though is the fact that Man City are likely to bring in Jorginho over the Summer which'll push him back down the queue again
  • Options

iaitch said:

He'll join the conveyor belt of City youngsters that have made their way into the first team....oh hang on.

No its fine, Phil Foden and another youngster picked up medals so they must really trust them........5 appearances equating to about 90 minutes between them shows the level of trust displayed.
    To be fair I think you might have picked on the wrong example because a 17 year old to pick up a PL medal (especially as Guardiola only brought him on in the last match so he qualified to get that) is, in my opinion, absolutely fantastic.

As is being a member of the CL squad and training with world class midfielders like Silva and De Bruyne under the influence of one of the best coaches around to learn from. Foden, instead, could have been playing as at a League 1 Club trying to avoid getting kicked off the park and learning from the likes of Robinson about how to pass it sideways when you can't find that sole man up front.

Equally, how many minutes did all our 17 year olds in total play for us last season in League 1? The answer is none as I would suspect be the case if we raised the bar to under 20. And one things for certain. They had no medals to show for it.

Not every move to a PL Club is wrong for a youngster. A lot are but there are exceptions. Ask the likes of Gomez, Lookman and Shelvey whether they should have stayed longer with us and I suspect that the answer will be "no".

In fact, I've just found this by way of example:

Foden again started in the Champions League in midweek, this time against Basel and replacing David Silva in the team.

But he revealed how much help he has been receiving from the Spanish wizard and his midfield partner Kevin De Bruyne.

“When I made my Premier League debut, Kev was giving me a lot of advice,” he said. “He came over to me straight away and told me to be confident and enjoy it, and that's what I did.

“To come on against Tottenham and play against Dele Alli and players like that was a dream come true.

“David is just a magician. To watch him every day, and watch what they do, you learn a lot.

“In training they give me a lot of advice. If I turn, they ask about what if I was in a game – they give me a lot of questions to answer.”
  • Options
    I'm surprised at that. Liverpool one of the few places that are currently giving young players a chance if they're good enough. Gomez, Alexander-Arnold, Solanke...
  • Options

Foden has had a great chance for Man City and will continue to do so next season am sure - Its also good that the England Senior Squad are keeping an eye on him as Gareth Southgate briefly mentioned his name in the Press Conference yesterday

What wont help though is the fact that Man City are likely to bring in Jorginho over the Summer which'll push him back down the queue again

not necessarily, they have lost Toure
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2018
    Swisdom said:

The difference is he’s not just a good player....he’s incredibly highly rated. England rushed him into the team to prevent Ecuador nabbing him. We have been fighting people off for a long time (at least a season) since he was 14 and playing well above his age
    Lets be honest , if he's half decent, he's not going to hang around here!

Think of the outcry on here ( and rightly so imo) when Yann went for 400k or when Ricky Boy joined the blades, for a fraction of the price quoted here.

If this is true , i'd take the 6 million , get Lee Lee Lee Bowyer in as manager , and back him to the hilt to get us out of this poxy league.
  • Options

not necessarily, they have lost Toure
    True but there will no doubt be a few surprises at the World Cup who'll get snapped up
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

The best thing that could happen to football is that the leagues make a complete break from the Prem, and the FA, and go it alone. The Prem is moving further and further away and the FA is a remote and not fit for purpose. At the end of the day it is just a mouthpiece for them. They have a role in the rules, supply refs etc, but there is no need for them to govern as they do.

The madnesses that clubs involve themselves in to try and get to the Prem is going to destroy clubs. The championship down have a good product and could learn to cope with the cut in revenue.

If the new league were then to go down the German route of ownership of clubs I could see that some fans would find that greater involvement attractive.

It is unlikely to ever happen as greed is a huge difficulty to overcome. If it were to ever split and I had to vote for which league my club would be in, it would not be the Prem.

I agree with this to a point, but I have also raised the issue of loans before, this equally continues to feed the monster that is the premier league clubs. Allowing the likes of Man City and Chelsea to continually hoover up the smaller clubs best players to simply claim them as their own is a nonsense. Control this and it will stop this constant stealing of clubs nurtured talent too soon. Any club with money can simply buy the best players, but their academies ability to develop are in my view poor. How many do you see who start at 8 and last until 18? The majority of category one clubs are based on shiny new car parks, lots of people in club tracksuits and very little else but money to throw around.
    It would be interesting to see how strong Charltons academy would be if Cat 1 and the level of resources others have.
    I would like see a cap on how many players a club can have out on loan and the number of times they are allowed do it per player. Whilst it might be great that a league one club or championship side get a premier league player in the short term, the reality is it only benefits their parent club. As others have posted they are unlikely to make the first team. Again short term it also creates a massive gap in wage structure, players in Chelsea's academy are probably earning more than most league 1 players, some even more than a championship player, yet have never stepped foot near a first team game.

If the league clubs stop the loans or have better control of it, it will soon stop the nonsense of agents premier clubs touting nonsense about 15 year olds in newspapers also!
  • Options
    Fear not, Katie and Tony promised the training ground would be finished in 2018 so we'd get Cat A status to stop this poaching.

Anyone seen a training ground update recently?
  • Options

Fear not, Katie and Tony promised the training ground would be finished in 2018 so we'd get Cat A status to stop this poaching.

Anyone seen a training ground update recently?

Spoke to Steve Avory and not much known update, probably based on the sale / or no sale......the new community astro's are done as is the new car park. I noticed a few weeks back they were putting in a new access gate for the lorries via sparrows lane - whether that will spark the start of removing the earth etc for the building or they just wanted to put new gate in who knows! There is even a new fancy gate into the players car park!
  • Options

iaitch said:

My point was to basically discount his first team involvement. I've heard the media as well as social media claim that Pepe has blooded the youngsters etc as well as winning the league but I'm not having that because a couple qualified for medals on the back of a few cameo's. Foden is regarded as one of the best youngsters in world football remember so of course it's an achievement to be part of the CL champ etc. The comparison with Charlton is a bit ridiculous as we would clearly be playing players if they are good enough. My point is City and Chelsea will continue to steal the best youngsters but will continue to buy big name players and these players will all end up constantly going out on loan. Patrick Roberts being a good example at the minute. Will also be interesting how much the likes of Foden will play if City get a bit of competition from someone this year, which I think will come from Liverpool at least. Also I weren't suggesting a loan deal out, I was suggesting kids at other clubs stay put, also the 3 examples of who you used all got experience playing for us in the first team which is in my opinion is better than moving at 15 and then being loaned out to several different clubs.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    I guess if we did get 6 million for this fella it would be a darn sign better than the fee we got for Nick Pope, we’re not great at negotiating good transfer fees!
  • Options

iaitch said:

As is being a member of the CL squad and training with world class midfielders like @AFKABartram and @Bexley Dan under the influence of one of the best coaches around to learn from. Foden, instead, could have been playing as at a League 1 Club trying to avoid getting kicked off the park and learning from the likes of Robinson about how to pass it sideways when you can't find that sole man up front.

Corrected for you...
  • Options
    edited May 2018

I guess if we did get 6 million for this fella it would be a darn sign better than the fee we got for Nick Pope, Katrien Meire was a poor CEO and not great at negotiating good transfer fees!

Fixed.
  • Options

It looks like Liverpool will loose Rhian Brewster in the summer for nothing when he joins one of the top German clubs. Premier league clubs can’t have it both ways stock pilling talent and then complaining when they leave.

Training with world class players is important but you do need to playing first team at the same time.

It's an unexpected and positive development, young English players going to Germany. It must be good for our national team to have players with international experience at such a young age, and in a decent age.

Indeed, it gives me good feelings about the future of the England team
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The fees paid for young talented players at league clubs should reflect the sort of wages that are being paid. The FA is pathetic in this respect. If the wealthiest clubs in the world (Athletico Madrid, European cup winners and finished second in their league earned £71m. West Brom relegated in bottom place, £91m.), really want a youth player the enitial fee has to reflect that, and the appearance money for the new club needs to be significantly high. In today’s market clubs should be getting back at least £15m for a player that ends up playing regular Prem football.

Something also needs to be done about the loan system. Something along the lines that a player can only be loaned out twice. The Chelsea farm has got to be stopped.
  • Options
    Charlton have a regular U18 photographer- not sure about Man City!
  • Options
    1) a cap on number of players each club can have at each age range - 15-20 should be sufficient.

2) a cap on number of loans a club can make each year, say 10.

3) a cap on number of times a club can loan out any one player, say 4.

4) a payment scheme whereby clubs are properly renumerated for the effort of bringing a player through their ranks whom leave for another club early. Not £250K for an England cap... how many England internationals can you buy for that amount? Make it a relatively penal upfront cost and genuinely match add onsmto the status of those add on’s.

5) the player whom leaves has to pay 20% of their salary to the producing club to repay the club for its efforts.

You can’t force a minor to sign for a specific team but you can ensure their original club is correctly compensated and help the player at the same time through the above. The likes of Chelsea and City would still Hoover the very cream but would actually have to stop and think rather than just scatter gunning all meaning those they did pick up would be better looked after.
  • Options
    There's no way that a team like Chelsea should be limited to a squad of 25 for the Premier League, and be allowed to loan out 30-40 players...
  • Options
    Go om Jeremy take the money you too can be like Poyet or that kid who went to ManU whose name I cannot remember. If there were compulsory 100% pension contributions for players earnings over £30k up to the age of 25 - I'm sure it would be better for them and the British game.
  • Options
    sm said:

Go om Jeremy take the money you too can be like Poyet or that kid who went to ManU whose name I cannot remember. If there were compulsory 100% pension contributions for players earnings over £30k up to the age of 25 - I'm sure it would be better for them and the British game.

Sean Mcginty
  • Options
    Yes - a true record of downward progression https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_McGinty - from wunderkind to Torguay United.
  • Options
    sm said:

Yes - a true record of downward progression https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_McGinty - from wunderkind to Torguay United.

Chance to see him at Welling next season!
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    sm said:

This does, however, raise the question whether he would have been good enough ultimately wherever he was as a 15 or 16 year old? That age is the equivalent to a 2 year old and whether they train on to become a successful 3 year old is the unknown.

For that reason, McGinty might still have ended up at Torquay had he stayed with us and once released by us, nobody would have mentioned his name again. He was, however, part of the FA Youth Cup winning team at United and as a pro there for just two or three years would have earned enough to make a bit of difference - and certainly more than had he stayed with us.

Every sportsman's path to success or failure is different and it is easy to point the finger when things don't work out. Clubs make mistakes too and that decision to release a youngster can be a subjective one - look at the likes of Vardy for example or, say, Bradley Dack - released at 14 by us and now EFL League 1 player of the year. What would we have been saying now had City or United come calling for him at that age?

• Options
    Did the thought of joining Man Utd go to his head though - Arent there stories of him being out enjoying himself a bit too much when he should have been concentrating on training more... Sounds like a kid who thought he'd made it

At Charlton there probably wouldnt have been that guarantee so much, meaning he may have worked that little bit harder