Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rochdale v Charlton POST MATCH THREAD 05/05/2018

Comments

• Options

Funny old game. On pitch rubbish but we didn't really care. Off pitch excellent so glad I was there. Also had brief chats with many an old Addick friend.

Pleased for Rochdale in the end - many of them came up afterwards and shook hands and wished us all the best.

Now on to Thursday. Flights booked.

Just a little concerned that I haven't seen us win in person yet this season. First time for everything...

Please reconsider your decision to go to the play offs Weegie!!!
  • Options
    I am sure I am repeating what everybody else is saying but send Zyro back now. Yes the whole team couldn’t really be bothered but he was absolutely awful. Won about 2 headers, made 1 successful pass and still wouldn’t have come close to scoring if we were still playing now.

Kaikai wasn’t all that but at least showed a little effort. He’s definitely a winger and I think we should have started both him and Mavididi. Really miss Fosu as he’s our best attacking outlet.

Marshall is a decent wing back but offers very little in the final third. Aribo was shit. Konsa was shit. Pearce was shaky.

Dasilva and Kashi probably the only two who came out with any credit.

• Options

That we sent on Jackson rather than Magennis when 1-0 down sums up exactly what Bowyer felt were his priorities at the end of the game! No bookings or injuries, 6th place achieved, move on...

It has to be said, well done Gillingham. On a terrible run, and with nothing to play for, their result must be the shock of the day in our division.

Another game where one team has thrown in the towel at half-time.
  • Options
    To be fair to Plymouth, they had 12 fit players for the game, so the result actually wasn't too surprising.
  • Options
    I just hope that performance was because the players are saving up a can of whoop ass for Shrewsbury x2 and Scunthorpe in the final. Dreamt Jackson came on at Wembley and curled home a 90th min free kick. COYRs
  • Options

Zyro and Kaikai were absolute blige

They've got a new look?
  • Options
    It appeared obvious to me, that we took a cautious approach, slow tempo. Didn't want to tire ourselves out for the playoffs no stupid bookings or injuries.

Only negative was that it was too casual and we gave the ball away too easy at times, it was a very dry pitch which players found difficult to control and move the ball on, but the practice of playing out from the back through the thirds is good for Wembley. The rotation was needed as we need our fittest strongest squad for Thursday.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

In similar respects this game was akin to the Blackburn game.

Charlton beat Blackburn because we wanted it more than they did although it was obvious they were the better football team.

Yesterday Rochdale were fired up because they had to be. On the other hand Charlton only needed to keep the score down to two knowing Plymouth were never going to turn it around. Hard for players like Marshall, Amos, Pearce etc who will want to play in the playoffs to be at it 100%. Injury or a sending off could ruin their season.

Football is often played on the pitch between the ears. We did enough and that’s all we needed to do without taking any risks.

Would have loved for us to romp home but I doubt Bowyer has even given the loss a second thought.

On to Thursday.

Yes, yesterday, to use a cliche, was Rochdale's cup final. They would have been so fired up for it, especially with the score from the Oldham match. If Oldham had gone 2 or 3-0 up, that might have knocked the stuffing out of them though

I thought Pearce was the only one who played at anywhere near 100%, with a couple of full blooded challenges.
  • Options
    We're a poor team who have scraped into the playoffs. The opening games under Bowyer we looked a bit more of an attacking threat but since then we seem to be as ineffectual as we were under KR but improved defensively.

We were very poor yesterday and weren't great against Blackburn.

If we do scrape through the playoffs we need a lot of new players if we're to survive in the Championship.
  • Options

We're a poor team who have scraped into the playoffs. The opening games under Bowyer we looked a bit more of an attacking threat but since then we seem to be as ineffectual as we were under KR but improved defensively.

If we do scrape through the playoffs we need a lot of new players if we're to survive in the Championship.

That’s the spirit

I wish I felt more optimistic but I don't.
  • Options

That’s the spirit

I wish I felt more optimistic but I don't.
    In life or just about Charlton ?

• Options
    edited May 2018
    Roland's revenge - we go up, the new owner has to fork out a higher purchase price- then has to fork out to buy some decent players for next season. Nice one.

• Options

You don’t beat the sides we have under bowyer if you’re a poor side

I do wonder with some of our fans...
  • Options
    How was that not a penalty on Reeves ? It was like Saturday afternoon wrestling the way he was thrown to the floor, I was just waiting for them to tag and bring on Mick McManus!
  • Options
    I think we are very capable of beating Shrewsbury but I fancy either Rotherham or Scunthorpe against us in the final.

Never expected us to be here though, Bowyer has done a very good job just getting us into 6th
  • Options
    Play Offs!!. We’ll keep working hard and keep fighting!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Patrick Bauer

@patrick5bauer
    17h17 hours ago

Not the best performance today away at Rochdale, but most importantly we‘re in the play-offs! #CAFC #COYR

• Options
    Ezri Konsa

@Ekonsa15
    17h17 hours ago
    More
    Not the result we wanted today but absolutely buzzing to have made the play offs! Bring on Thursday thank you cafc fans for ur support today #cafc
  • Options
    Naby Sarr

Verified account

@nabysarr
    17h17 hours ago
    More
    Playoffs
  • Options
    Jason Pearce

Verified account

@jpearce05
    6h6 hours ago
    More
    Achieved what we set out to do at the start of the season, now it’s time to fight to win the play offs. #herewego #coyr #cafc #thisiswar #together
  • Options
    Brilliant to see the skipper back out on the pitch at @officiallydale today

4️⃣9️⃣9️⃣ career appearances... Can he make it to 5️⃣0️⃣0️⃣? #cafc

• Options
    TFH_14

Verified account

@TariqeFosu
    18h18 hours ago
    More
    Play off here we come! @CAFCofficial