Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

EFL To Vote on Match Programmes.

Comments

• Options
    It's a tradition. They need some good alternative. It would be sad if they went.

PLEASE, PLEASE VOTE AGAINSTSCRAPPING THE MATCHDAY PROGRAME. PLEASE!!!!!
  • Options
    I remember a few years back our programme won an award. think it was when it was a slightly bigger size. i remember thinking it looked good at the time.
  • Options

There does seem to be some confusion surrounding the issue. The EFL aren't suggesting to scrap programmes. One or two clubs have raised the issue that it is difficult for them to produce programmes, so there is a vote to decide whether or not they should be compulsory. The reason they are currently compulsory is purely down to advertising.
    I can't see many clubs going down the route of not producing a matchday programme at all if the vote goes the way of making it non-compulsory. We certainly will continue to do so no matter the outcome (but I would, perhaps, keep an eye on Sheffield Wednesday's movements on the matter)

VERY insightful from you Olly
  • Options
    There used to be real value in the chief exec or chairman having a weekly column or some kind of operational update. Obviously there's no one to do that at the club now and even when there was, under this owner, they were reluctant to do so. I'm really not interested in what some reserve player has put on Snapchat this week - and I imagine people that use Snapchat aren't buying programmes as they don't engage with traditional media.
  • Options

out of interest who still buys one?, the way things are now i'm sure there will be e programme

I've not bought one for a couple of seasons at least as part of my personal spend no money other than ticket protest.

I probably would still get one in 'normal' circumstances although at least I no longer have the problem of where the hell to put them!
  • Options

There does seem to be some confusion surrounding the issue. The EFL aren't suggesting to scrap programmes. One or two clubs have raised the issue that it is difficult for them to produce programmes, so there is a vote to decide whether or not they should be compulsory. The reason they are currently compulsory is purely down to advertising.
    I can't see many clubs going down the route of not producing a matchday programme at all if the vote goes the way of making it non-compulsory. We certainly will continue to do so no matter the outcome (but I would, perhaps, keep an eye on Sheffield Wednesday's movements on the matter)

I'm pleased to hear that the club is still proposing to produce a programme. Let's hope they stick to that.

I know the constraints the comms team are working under but it is a shame how our programme has declined over recent years. It used to be a really good read; now, compared to other clubs, it's really poor. Maybe trying to get it back to the old high standard might improve sales.

BTW, Olly, whatever happened to the goals dvd from the last 2 seasons that the club said it was going to put in production?
  • Options
    Badger said:

Haven’t brought one for years . It will be sad that they will eventually stop but they aren’t needed now everyone has smart phones .

Not everyone has a smart phone.

Some non league clubs have stopped producinget a Match Programme and it hasn't gone down very well.

Not every smart phone is owned by a smart person.
  • Options

Elfsborg will be heartbroken if this goes through

Me too. :(
  • Options

I'm pleased to hear that the club is still proposing to produce a programme. Let's hope they stick to that.

I know the constraints the comms team are working under but it is a shame how our programme has declined over recent years. It used to be a really good read; now, compared to other clubs, it's really poor. Maybe trying to get it back to the old high standard might improve sales.

BTW, Olly, whatever happened to the goals dvd from the last 2 seasons that the club said it was going to put in production?
    Probably too depressing a watch.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cost cutting by certain clubs, at the expense of fans who keep a tradition alive. My suggestion, buy your print better and work out exactly how many you need. Minimise wastage. Keep print alive!

Ps. I work in print, so may be slightly biased here
  • Options
    Had no idea the football league made programmes/matchday magazines/whatever compulsory. Just thought it was a grand tradition.
    What the actual fuck?
    Can't say I'm surprised, they're all about sticking their nose in where it doesn't concern them, especially if they think it's a gravy train with biscuit wheels; all the while complacently looking the other way while scum, crooks and liars dismantle the very football clubs they're supposed to represent.
    If programs don't work financially for some clubs, that's for them to decide and the EFL can stay out of it.
    I'd warrant there's still more than enough traditionalists, completists, collectors, anoraks and numpties willing to cough up a few sovs each matchday.
    For years I made sure to buy one for every game I attended but I haven't bought a Charlton program since before the spivs bailed. The program was steadily being watered down and I didn't want to be propping up toxic tony's Cashflow any more than was totally necessary. TBH I didn't miss them so wasn't tempted to resume when the current cretin took over. I found myself momentarily drawn to the JJ celebratory issue but that was quickly quelled by the blatant pisstake of the £5 price. As soon as the poisonous pensioner has pissed off I'll email the back issues address to see if there's any left over.
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:

Who is representing Charlton at the meeting?

I know who'll be doing the tea and biscuits. ;)

I'd rather read something produced by the fans personally.
  • Options
    Maybe there is a place for a League program covering all clubs in (say) league 1, with coverage from every club every home game. More fans views, pubs, accommodation, piss takes etc.
  • Options

I was screaming and crying when I read the report this morning.
  • Options

Me too. :(
    It'd solve our 'problems' though mate.
  • Options
    I imagine the worst that would happen is that clubs would produce efforts like Fleetwood, 16 pages for a quid.

That said, most clubs produce decent efforts so I imagine things will remain the same.

Non-league clubs would very much probably look to cease publishing. Some games I go to they barely produce 30 copies.
  • Options

No football club has produced a programme in almost 50 years due to Vat. They are Match day magazines.

Go on then Norman Tebbit, what's the difference?

Or rather which wrong stick have you got hold of that makes you even think there is a difference?
  • Options
    16 pages for a quid. Absolutely ideal. It's a little souvenir so no real need for any more.
  • Options

I imagine the worst that would happen is that clubs would produce efforts like Fleetwood, 16 pages for a quid.

That said, most clubs produce decent efforts so I imagine things will remain the same.

Non-league clubs would very much probably look to cease publishing. Some games I go to they barely produce 30 copies.

The Fleetwood effort was pretty decent really as a bare minimum programme
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    shirty5 said:

iainment said:

If they stop them it might lead to a resurgence of fanzines. Which would be good.

Or more unofficial programmes like the ones we saw from 2 years ago.
    If they do more of these, I hope they print them the right way round.
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44396446

Approved by the EFL, programmes no longer compulsory
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    One of the only Programmes I have, got as a birthday present from @stackitsteve closet game to my date of birth

• Options
    Back page

• Options
    Kings Dork Street?
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    I sometimes buy a programme from that funny bespectacled shouty man at the end of Ransom Walk but when I read it, it just seems to be complaining about the club's owner. Very strange.

Valley Voice, I think it's called. Something like that anyway.
  • Options
    I don't blame the people producing it, but in terms of content our programme is one of the worst in the division. For the same price other clubs produce far thicker programmes with more unique content
  • Options

I don't blame the people producing it, but in terms of content our programme is one of the worst in the division. For the same price other clubs produce far thicker programmes with more unique content

As a matter of interest, who do you blame?
  • Options

Considering the CEO wanted it scrapped, wrecked its sales by sacking the company who it was outsourced to without realising the trollies didn't belong to the club, sacked or drove off a lot of the Comms team and harassed the few who were left I think it's a miracle they still produced anything at all.

One more thing that will be a lot better without this disastrous ownerships' interference.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

As a matter of interest, who do you blame?
    I blame the cutbacks, staff driven out and the whole atmosphere of suspicion towards fans at the club.