Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

F.A To sell Wembley Stadium

Comments

• Options
    I cannot see the FA spending any money they make from this wisely. They talk of grass roots investment but it will probably mean the grass roots of the top half a dozen clubs which will probably spend it developing their own talent. Basically I wouldn’t be surprised if the FA ended up subsiding the rich.
  • Options
    DanDavis said:

Give me American Football over established 'British' sports like Rugby and Cricket any day of the week

Deluded
  • Options
    We like different things...whats the chances eh?
  • Options
    Does this mean a windfall for the likes of non league clubs?
  • Options
    Love all the NFL wont catch on the UK blah blah blah nonsense when the games sell out in a day or two if not hours and we take 3 weeks to sell our Pompey allocation. NFL doesn't need to catch on the UK it already has, in fact quite a few people watch it and the tradional sports as an addition not an alternative.

Anyway lets just hope the FA don't rush the deal through in time to hold this years League One Play Off Final at Selhurst Park, thats what I have heard.
  • Options

I hear Red Bull is gonna buy Wembley for £77.5M, then buy us, and move us there and change the name to Red Bull Wembley Athletic. They will convert The Valley to a larger car park, complete with fresh potholes.

Absolute rubbish. It would cost far too much to dismantle Wembley Stadium, transport it south of the river and re-assemble it on the peninsula.
  • Options
    ross1 said:

If this is you ForeverAddickted, that is selling Wembley, why not use the money to buy this club :smiley:

Sorry guys I cant... Wife has seen an expensive pair of shoes that she likes so having to sell off everything to afford them!!
  • Options
    I don't understand why it has to be this I love football so I can't possibly like NFL attitude. I love football. I love NFL. I love cricket. It's OK.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    SE7toSG3 said:

Love all the NFL wont catch on the UK blah blah blah nonsense when the games sell out in a day or two if not hours and we take 3 weeks to sell our Pompey allocation. NFL doesn't need to catch on the UK it already has, in fact quite a few people watch it and the tradional sports as an addition not an alternative.

Anyway lets just hope the FA don't rush the deal through in time to hold this years League One Play Off Final at Selhurst Park, thats what I have heard.

I'm not sure ticket sales for an NFL match can be compared to the number of away fans a 3rd division football side takes away!

The question is whether this will attract big crowds on a regular basis, year after year, when the novelty factor no longer applies.
  • Options
    true and it was said in jest but minor the winky thing, its just that the NFL interest is not a novelty thing anymore, it is more than enough to support a London based team that would play 8 regular season games plus the odd play off game. Alongside British fans you see and hear quite a few German/French/Italian fans that use budget airlines to get to London.

NFL will never compete with football, rugby or cricket, I dont think it would even try to but its got a proven track record of filling London stadia for 10 years now and is pretty much here to stay in my view.
  • Options
    N01R4M said:

How much public money went into the rebuilding of Wembley?

Thinking laterally, if Wembley Stadium is being valued at £800 million, I hope this would make it even more difficult for the owners of the London (Olympic) Stadium to gift it to West Ham for a pittance.

Exactly. Whatever else, this announcement is a huge gift to the Olympic Stadium campaign.
  • Options
    I wonder what AEG will think about it seeing as they run the non footballing side of Wembley , and I believe that they pay a pretty penny to do so

Bobmonro bang on the money , he will sell Fulhams ground for a a huge chunk of change making it a very cheap purchase
  • Options

I wonder what AEG will think about it seeing as they run the non footballing side of Wembley , and I believe that they pay a pretty penny to do so

Bobmonro bang on the money , he will sell Fulhams ground for a a huge chunk of change making it a very cheap purchase

I being saying very similar things about Fulham for years. Probably one off the most potentially prime development sites in the world per sq metre.
  • Options
    Must we sell out everything in this country and English football to foreign multi millionaires investors. Shameful.
  • Options
    I know sport is a bit different in the US but surely fans of the Jags wouldn't be too happy about having half their season played on another continent?

Imagine the uproar if someone bought Spurs or Arsenal and said we're going to play 8 'home' games every season in Florida.
  • Options

SE7toSG3 said:

I'm not sure ticket sales for an NFL match can be compared to the number of away fans a 3rd division football side takes away!

The question is whether this will attract big crowds on a regular basis, year after year, when the novelty factor no longer applies.
    Where's the "novelty factor"? NFL has been selling out huge stadiums for a decade here in London because the sport has become very popular and that won't change.
  • Options
    SE7toSG3 said:

It sells out in a day because It’s a novelty when there is a random game over here. It is basically rugby for wimps (all the padding and crash helmets) made easy (throwing the ball forward)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

SE7toSG3 said:

It sells out in a day because It’s a novelty when there is a random game over here. It is basically rugby for wimps (all the padding and crash helmets) made easy (throwing the ball forward)
    I think you're massively under-estimating the appeal, and also not familiar with how much is actually played over here.

At the moment there are 4 games every year in London. If the Jaguars were to because a 2 home franchise split between London and Florida then there would be no extra games (regular season is 16 games, 8 home, 8 away, so 4 in London, 4 in Florida), just each game would involve Jacksonville. I imagine the NFL would add at least 1 more game, maybe 2 as they look to expand this way.

Are you seriously suggesting that they can sell Wembley out for 4 games currently, but wouldn't be able to sell it out for 5 or 6? If London had it's own genuine team I think it would easily sell out the 8 regular season home games. In fact we won't get a franchise until that is a guaranteed fact.
  • Options
    edited April 2018

SE7toSG3 said:

I think you're massively under-estimating the appeal, and also not familiar with how much is actually played over here.

At the moment there are 4 games every year in London. If the Jaguars were to because a 2 home franchise split between London and Florida then there would be no extra games (regular season is 16 games, 8 home, 8 away, so 4 in London, 4 in Florida), just each game would involve Jacksonville. I imagine the NFL would add at least 1 more game, maybe 2 as they look to expand this way.

Are you seriously suggesting that they can sell Wembley out for 4 games currently, but wouldn't be able to sell it out for 5 or 6? If London had it's own genuine team I think it would easily sell out the 8 regular season home games. In fact we won't get a franchise until that is a guaranteed fact.
    perhaps I am, I know loads of people that have been to a game purely for the novelty of it that wouldn't be bothered about going again and certainly wouldn't miss their football for it. I honestly couldn't see Wembley being sold out after 2/3 years of 8 games a year.
  • Options

SE7toSG3 said:

perhaps I am, I know loads of people that have been to a game purely for the novelty of it that wouldn't be bothered about going again and certainly wouldn't miss their football for it. I honestly couldn't see Wembley being sold out after 2/3 years of 8 games a year.
    Daniel Levy is a knobend I don’t like the lying two faced cnut

However he makes few business mistakes this is another one of the things he has got bang right

American football is big it’s not a fad and it’s not a novelty

80k of people turning up every time

55 million people in uk estimate

0.14 of the population to fill the stadium 8 times a year

Easy doable easy money
  • Options
    The new ground at White Hart Lane has a 10 year agreement with the NFL. As with the Twickenham short term agreement, in the first season there is only one game being played but after this it will increase and at WHL it will almost certainly grow to having the majority of the NFL games played in London. Khan has some sort of agreement with the NFL and Wembley so that the Jaguars have at least one game as the 'Home' side every season.

It's likely that with the investment made by the NFL with Spurs that Khan doesn't have the same agreement and is therefore looking to side step the NFL in an attempt to protect the Jaguars who have undoubtedly benefited from the Wembley experience.

Best case scenario for Khan is that he can get an extension to the agreement and continues to hold at least one Jaguars game a season at Wembley and if you think that this isn't possible then you haven't been paying attention over the last 10 years. Plus of course there is all the revenue a major international stadium can bring. My only doubt is that if Khan believes he can increase that number of Jaguar home games, or set up a UK franchise out of Wembley, then I fear he is massively overestimating the likelihood of UK NFL fans going three, or four times to WHL and then three, four, or eight times to Wembley in a season.

Worst case scenario he has added to his property portfolio that has a ready made revenue stream and he will charge the FA an absolute fortune to rent it back game by game and Fulham have a home to go to while Craven Cottage is being re-developed.

From an NFL perspective, they know that there is a national hunger for the games over here, but almost certainly they also know that there isn't an insatiable appetite for all UK NFL fans to have an eight game season ticket and trying to get 90,000 people to an eight game UK franchise would be tough. Getting 50 to 60,000 into WHL would be considerably easier.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    I don't think Khan can rinse the FA for England games, only the Final needs to be there, and we've now got a number 50,000+ and soon a few more 60,000+ stadiums in the country, where the FA will take England games too. England playing at the Emirates, Etihad, Villa Park, Moulineux , Anfield, St James, the new WHL/Stamford Bridge, plus new stadium at Everton would make the FA a load of cash

If he tried to screw the EFL over, they'll take the play finals to Old Trafford (Manchester Combined authorities would probably pay for example).

As for an NFL Franchise, Jacksonville is the smallest NFL market, so primed for a move, a London franchise could stand up for 8 games a season, whether they can attract the talent to come to London over say LA or NY, do a tax deal with the treasury and deal with 1.30 kick offs are some of the bigger issues. The market is here.

As for the ownership of the stadium, so what that it's in private hands, has been for most of the stadiums 95 years of existence, and the FA shouldn't be a stadium owner.
  • Options
    Rothko said:

I don't think Khan can rinse the FA for England games, only the Final needs to be there, and we've now got a number 50,000+ and soon a few more 60,000+ stadiums in the country, where the FA will take England games too. England playing at the Emirates, Etihad, Villa Park, Moulineux , Anfield, St James, the new WHL/Stamford Bridge, plus new stadium at Everton would make the FA a load of cash

If he tried to screw the EFL over, they'll take the play finals to Old Trafford (Manchester Combined authorities would probably pay for example).

As for an NFL Franchise, Jacksonville is the smallest NFL market, so primed for a move, a London franchise could stand up for 8 games a season, whether they can attract the talent to come to London over say LA or NY, do a tax deal with the treasury and deal with 1.30 kick offs are some of the bigger issues. The market is here.

As for the ownership of the stadium, so what that it's in private hands, has been for most of the stadiums 95 years of existence, and the FA shouldn't be a stadium owner.

They wouldn't need to attract the talent. This has been discussed in NFL circles for quite some time. They'd base the team on the east coast of the US and just fly to London for the games. They may try and arrange the fixtures into 4 8 days blocks (i.e. fly players over for just over a week with home game at start and end of the week) or 3 2 weeks blocks (fly over for just over 2 weeks with games at start, middle and end) to minimise back and fourth, but essentially the players would still be based in the US, meaning no relocation issues.
  • Options

DanDavis said:

Give me American Football over established 'British' sports like Rugby and Cricket any day of the week

Deluded Traitor

The new ground at White Hart Lane has a 10 year agreement with the NFL. As with the Twickenham short term agreement, in the first season there is only one game being played but after this it will increase and at WHL it will almost certainly grow to having the majority of the NFL games played in London. Khan has some sort of agreement with the NFL and Wembley so that the Jaguars have at least one game as the 'Home' side every season.

It's likely that with the investment made by the NFL with Spurs that Khan doesn't have the same agreement and is therefore looking to side step the NFL in an attempt to protect the Jaguars who have undoubtedly benefited from the Wembley experience.

Best case scenario for Khan is that he can get an extension to the agreement and continues to hold at least one Jaguars game a season at Wembley and if you think that this isn't possible then you haven't been paying attention over the last 10 years. Plus of course there is all the revenue a major international stadium can bring. My only doubt is that if Khan believes he can increase that number of Jaguar home games, or set up a UK franchise out of Wembley, then I fear he is massively overestimating the likelihood of UK NFL fans going three, or four times to WHL and then three, four, or eight times to Wembley in a season.

Worst case scenario he has added to his property portfolio that has a ready made revenue stream and he will charge the FA an absolute fortune to rent it back game by game and Fulham have a home to go to while Craven Cottage is being re-developed.

From an NFL perspective, they know that there is a national hunger for the games over here, but almost certainly they also know that there isn't an insatiable appetite for all UK NFL fans to have an eight game season ticket and trying to get 90,000 people to an eight game UK franchise would be tough. Getting 50 to 60,000 into WHL would be considerably easier.

The amount of money pumped in to the new WHL by the NFL surely that will be the location for a London franchise? And the demand is there, this team will be the only NFL team in Europe. The crowds they get to Wembley are huge.

Don't know the details but seems the Wembley purchase is more of an investment IMO. I can't see a franchise or Fulham playing there.
  • Options

DanDavis said:

Deluded Traitor

The amount of money pumped in to the new WHL by the NFL surely that will be the location for a London franchise? And the demand is there, this team will be the only NFL team in Europe. The crowds they get to Wembley are huge.

Don't know the details but seems the Wembley purchase is more of an investment IMO. I can't see a franchise or Fulham playing there.
    Wasn't it "only" £10M that the NFL put into WHL?
  • Options
    edited April 2018

DanDavis said:

Deluded Traitor

Fulham would never move there anyway, they are about to build an expensive new stand and would never get planning permission to build on their ground (remembering what happened in the 80s there).