Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nathan Jones - sacked by Southampton (p12)

Comments

• Options
    I think he may get the chop in the international break, it’s normally when things are done, Pardew incoming?
  • Options
    Mad how only 8 months ago they spent 12m on Afobe and 7m on Vokes.

Afobe is now loaned out to Bristol city (bizarre as surely Stoke need him) and Vokes hardly plays (unused sub today).
  • Options
    Bye Bye Baby, Baby Goodbye
  • Options
    Don’t think Stoke are a trigger happy one as far as managers are concerned but I think NJ is dead man walking. Looks like he’s lost the dressing room and the fans. No way back from there I fear.
  • Options
    Where will Chris Hughton go? He's the obvious safe pair of hands out there, but will he fancy either Stoke or Huddersfield?
  • Options
    Since Jan 1, 2019, Stoke's record in League is 3-12-12. Three wins in 27 matches. Ouch.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    Don’t think Stoke are a trigger happy one as far as managers are concerned but I think NJ is dead man walking. Looks like he’s lost the dressing room and the fans. No way back from there I fear.
    With that squad, at least on paper, their start is ridiculous. 

Suspect he'll get sacked this week, as you say.

I get wanting to go to a bigger club and backing yourself, but I had serious doubts when he left Luton. Stoke were in a freefall coming off a shite Premier League season with big earners on the wage bill. The Premier League to the Championship year 2 re-structuring has to be the hardest. And they just look completely lost up there. 

Also, never follow Mark Hughes and Tony Pulis unless you want to play the kind of football they play. 
    Not much is made of this, but when you follow certain managers who have a different philosophy to you, revolution is needed rather than evolution.
  • Options
    What makes it worse is that from reading online, he doesn't seem to have a clue what his best side is.

Last season Norwich didn't start well, they had only 5 points from their first 6 games but Farke had a game plan and knew his best side, they just needed time to gel. Jones has been there since January and is changing his side every game and they don't seem to have a clue.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    The problem when you are on a losing run, is everybody is looking for somebody to blame. Footballers are great at that in particular. When you watch us, you can see the togetherness on the pitch. The trick if you manage Stoke is to get that back, but there are lots of factors and issues. It probably needs a big clear out in January, but I doubt Jones will be the one who does it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The problem when you are on a losing run, is everybody is looking for somebody to blame. Footballers are great at that in particular. When you watch us, you can see the togetherness on the pitch. The trick if you manage Stoke is to get that back, but there are lots of factors and issues. It probably needs a big clear out in January, but I doubt Jones will be the one who does it.
    I wont be surprised if it happens from League One

At the moment they seem a side that have followed the Charlton | Wolves | Sunderland blueprint of Premier League relegation
  • Options
    Another defeat today. Incredibly bad run for them.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    With that squad, at least on paper, their start is ridiculous. 

Suspect he'll get sacked this week, as you say.

I get wanting to go to a bigger club and backing yourself, but I had serious doubts when he left Luton. Stoke were in a freefall coming off a shite Premier League season with big earners on the wage bill. The Premier League to the Championship year 2 re-structuring has to be the hardest. And they just look completely lost up there. 

Also, never follow Mark Hughes and Tony Pulis unless you want to play the kind of football they play. 
    Not much is made of this, but when you follow certain managers who have a different philosophy to you, revolution is needed rather than evolution.
    Aye, and that was a squad full of deadwood or players who didn't want to be there or players on Premier League wages or a combination thereof. 
  • Options
    Surely days are numbered as it’s becoming a bit more than a bad start 
  • Options
    I wonder how many of his own players he signed in the summer. Hard to judge someone managing another's failed squad.
  • Options
    I wonder how many of his own players he signed in the summer. Hard to judge someone managing another's failed squad.
    Unless he has come out and said he didnt want the 11 players he signed then i dont get this comment.

You could say that about any manager then, just assuming they dont want the players signed
  • Options
    I asked the question because I didn't know the answer. 11 players sounds a lot but how many left? Are arrivals big budget or journeymen to fill holes?  As others have said, he is trying to change to a footballing style from a generation of hoofing it. Good on owners for their patience.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    He's been there since January so had 2 windows to get rid of some players and get his own in. And with a very good budget for championship level.

He spent 20m on Afobe and Vokes in January. He's already loaned Afobe out, and Vokes hardly gets a game. He made a number of signings in the summer, but from reading online Stoke fans basically seem to be saying that they have no style of play and they can't see what he's trying to do. 
  • Options
    I asked the question because I didn't know the answer. 11 players sounds a lot but how many left? Are arrivals big budget or journeymen to fill holes?  As others have said, he is trying to change to a footballing style from a generation of hoofing it. Good on owners for their patience.
    He actually got rid of alot of deadwood or huge wages(Berahino,Adam,Bojan) over the summer and bought in players u expect would be decent at this level

Adam Davies
    Liam Lindsey
    Nick Powell
    Tommy Smith
    Stephen Ward
    Scott Hogan
    Mark Duffy
    Jordan Cousins
    Cameron Carter Vickers
    Lee Gregory
    Ash Kigbu

Those are the 11 signings
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Did Jones sign Afobe? He was on loan before Nathan arrived. The fact he had been moved on so quickly suggests not.
  • Options
    in Stoke's case they need 1 season of consolidation and rebuilding and should be looking to next season to get back to a team that can challenge
  • Options
    He says the same thing after every game he is as predictable in his post match response as the fat scouse prick 
  • Options
    Respect to Stoke for not pulling the trigger . I think most would have done long before now . 
  • Options
    I see Stoke are at home to Huddersfield on the 1st October, with both likely to still be in the bottom 3 by then, could be a bit of a 6 pointer...
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Rumours is he’s a goner.

pulis is aroused

Surely Pulis wouldn't go back there - complete madness if he does, can't repeat what he did there first time around.

I can see Stoke easily going down this season, they have the stench of death about them.

Once you see behind the scenes at a club like Sunderland you can see how the "Premiership" culture and the "Championship" culture don't mix at all well.

If you don't get back up immediately with your "Premiership" squad then you are in big, big trouble.
  • Options
    Don’t know the Cowley brothers have gone hudds as how long will they get - they looked rubbish yesterday and can’t add to the squad etc. 
  • Options
    Think they'll get more than one game.
  • Options
    Don’t know the Cowley brothers have gone hudds as how long will they get - they looked rubbish yesterday and can’t add to the squad etc. 
    They only had about four or five days to work with their new players ahead of the Sheffield Wednesday game

Give it a couple of weeks and I reckon you'll see some improved performances

Thank god we dont face them till the 10th December - they've surely got to have won by then?