Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Which loanees would you keep

2»

Comments

• Options
    cabbles said:

Tresor Kandol

Maaaaate, one of the worst players to pull on a Charlton shirt in recent years.

For a good indication of how the quality in the lower leagues has increased in recent years, it was around this time 9/10 years ago that I was on a train to The Valley to watch us play Preston at home. We had Tresor Kandol up front, they had Neil Mellor and John Parkin.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    On the loanees thing, I'd keep all of them in an ideal world. But as mentioned above and on other threads, we will not be able to get Mav, DaSilva, or Kaikai permanently. The best we could hope for would be to get DaSilva and Mav back on loan next year if we're promoted.

I don't think Zyro is Premier League level but given the fact that they're awash with cash I don't think Wolves need to sell him, and would probably want to give him another season before offloading him. Another one where I'd we got back to the Championship I'd love to get him back on loan. I think he will look much better in the Championship with fewer cloggers and better pitches. Don't know if that will be with us obviously.

I think Amos is probably the one most likely. He's apparently on big wages so that would almost certainly be a stumbling block. But he's the type you could see being our first choice keeper for the next five years. And I think he will only improve playing regularly, something he's rarely managed in his career.

What that would mean for Dillon Phillips I don't know. I think a loan next year to a League One club where he plays every week would be good. Unfortunately because we couldn't get another keeper in we weren't able to do that this year, and I fear his growth had been stunted a bit. But going on what I saw in preseason, Amos is light-years ahead of him in terms of his distribution, his command of his area, and I suspect his organizing of his defense.
  • Options

I was only joking, I was hoping for more of a bite from cabbles but he is probably at home skyping his bird who lives in Sheffield.

Rule number 1: Don't take anything I say as serious. :wink:

Rule number 2. Hit like or lol on every post of mine! :)

Welcome.
  • Options

I believe we only got Amos on loan because Bolton wanted his wages off the books so I reckon he could be a free.
    Rumoured to be on £11,000 a week though.

Reckon we might be in with a shout if we get promoted. Is he out of contract at the end of the season, with Bolton?

Difficult situation for us really, if we were nailed on for promotion we could be tapping up his agent for next season. Would he realistically get 11k at another Championship club on a long term deal? Possibly, but if not, he might take a pay cut for a long term contract with us, where he seems at least to have settled and is playing really well.

Don't forget as well that although he is a journeyman, he's on joint most current club appearances with us, and will be looking to press on.

If only we had a senior management team and a plan for the future. As it stands I don't think we'll know much about any of our loan players until we at least know what League we are in next season, let alone until the takeover finally happens.
  • Options
    Amos & DaSilva
  • Options
    DaSilva, easily!
  • Options
    If we were promoted we could keep any of our loanees we chose. Mav, DeSilva, Zyro and Amos will not be playing above the Championship next year. KaiKai, who cares frankly.

Mav I reckon we could keep in LeagueOne, he needs games - not another season sat on a Championship teams bench... however, despite looking promising in a couple of occasions he still needs to show in the next few games he is worthy of a loanee spot at a club going for promotion from this division.

Amos I think has a year left on his contract; I suspect Bolton would be happy to simp,y release him for nothing to move the wages on... depending on our funding situation and transfer budget I suspect that if we paid a signing in bonus to him to recompense the lost wages from Bolton upfront then negotiating his salary would be no harder than with any other player we were looking to bring in... that said, his years salary will be between £600-£1m I suspect from numbers quoted which is a large number for a league one team and even a Championship team to spend on their keeper.
  • Options
    Bolton could easily go down
    Alnwick is out of contract, would he sign a new one if they go down.

Bolton could need Amos next season in league 1
  • Options

Is Alnwick better than Amos anyway having seen them both at The Valley?

The only reason Bolton might prefer Alnwick could be that he is cheaper if the comments above re Amos' wages are true (I have no idea one way or the other).
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

On the loanees thing, I'd keep all of them in an ideal world. But as mentioned above and on other threads, we will not be able to get Mav, DaSilva, or Kaikai permanently. The best we could hope for would be to get DaSilva and Mav back on loan next year if we're promoted.

I don't think Zyro is Premier League level but given the fact that they're awash with cash I don't think Wolves need to sell him, and would probably want to give him another season before offloading him. Another one where I'd we got back to the Championship I'd love to get him back on loan. I think he will look much better in the Championship with fewer cloggers and better pitches. Don't know if that will be with us obviously.

I think Amos is probably the one most likely. He's apparently on big wages so that would almost certainly be a stumbling block. But he's the type you could see being our first choice keeper for the next five years. And I think he will only improve playing regularly, something he's rarely managed in his career.

What that would mean for Dillon Phillips I don't know. I think a loan next year to a League One club where he plays every week would be good. Unfortunately because we couldn't get another keeper in we weren't able to do that this year, and I fear his growth had been stunted a bit. But going on what I saw in preseason, Amos is light-years ahead of him in terms of his distribution, his command of his area, and I suspect his organizing of his defense.

Agree with most of what you said but surely this can't be the case. Haven't seen enough of Phillips but Amos' distribution is awful. Decent keeper and has had a good season, but I'm pretty sure my distribution would be better than his, even with a blindfold.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

SDAddick said:

Agree with most of what you said but surely this can't be the case. Haven't seen enough of Phillips but Amos' distribution is awful. Decent keeper and has had a good season, but I'm pretty sure my distribution would be better than his, even with a blindfold.
    Amos's handling and dominance of his area combined with Hamer's distribution would create a brilliant keeper...
  • Options

Did use him in League One last season though...

He got shipped off to Cardiff because Bolton cant pay his wages, he also signed a four year deal with them in July 2015 which means that they're stuck with his wages for another year, something they may not be close to afford

https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2015/july/ben-amos-completes-bolton-wanderers-move/
  • Options

LenGlover said:

Is Alnwick better than Amos anyway having seen them both at The Valley?

The only reason Bolton might prefer Alnwick could be that he is cheaper if the comments above re Amos' wages are true (I have no idea one way or the other).
    But alnwick might not want to stay at Bolton. He has no contract so he might want to go elsewhere if he gets a championship club come in for him
  • Options

Did use him in League One last season though...

He got shipped off to Cardiff because Bolton cant pay his wages, he also signed a four year deal with them in July 2015 which means that they're stuck with his wages for another year, something they may not be close to afford

https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2015/july/ben-amos-completes-bolton-wanderers-move/
    But with alnwick out of contract along with half there first team squad they might need Amos and will have wages