Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

F1 2018

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2018
    In other news - congrats to one of my sons karting coaches George Russell on a brilliant first win in the F2 series.

Along with Billy Monger - our teams alumni have had a good start to this season
  • Options

That's the problem with using street circuits......bloody potholes ruining your tyres !!

Wasnt a pothole - it was a piece of debris off one of the previous crashes - they picked it up on the replay , and you can almost see the tyre explode.
    I think you've been whooshed !!!
  • Options
    All races since Australia have been great. Really into it this year.
  • Options

All races since Australia have been great. Really into it this year.

Yes, especially between the 2 Red Bull drivers today. I know that the head honcho probably didn't like it, but I'm not into all this team stuff. Unless you have a driver who is about to win the F1 title & you want your "no 2" to protect him from his main rival then I think its game on between all the drivers. Proper race between Ricciardo & Verstappen throughout the race & I'd love to see more of that rather than the "back off" that most team instruct their drivers.
  • Options
    Getting pole is key to Monaco.
  • Options

In other news - congrats to one of my sons karting coaches George Russell on a brilliant first win in the F2 series.

And I noticed he came second behind Norris in first race.
    Potential progression to F1 ?
  • Options

He's part of the Mercedes junior driver programme and has already driven in a couple of free practice sessions at Grand Prix weekends.
  • Options

British motorsport is stocked with talent for the next generation. Norris is epic - and imo Hamilton / Verstappen level of talent. He is WDC material without a doubt. George hasn’t had the budget Norris traditionally enjoyed - but Merc put their support behind him which transformed his confidence. He has always been quick but has now gone up a level. He is a race winner in F1 in the right car but then again so are many others. He is hoping he gets a chance in the Force India but Bottas form may be an issue as it keeps him in the Merc family
  • Options
    Don't really watch every race but always keep an eye on it, has there been a race this season where Verstappen hasn't been involved in an incident?

Bloke needs to calm down a bit. I get he's still young (20? 21?) but he's been racing in F1 since 2015
  • Options

Don't really watch every race but always keep an eye on it, has there been a race this season where Verstappen hasn't been involved in an incident?

Bloke needs to calm down a bit. I get he's still young (20? 21?) but he's been racing in F1 since 2015

I’m the same as you in terms of following it so not sure whats happened in the other races but yesterday was no fault of his own in any way, he was racing Ricciardo like he would anyone and Ricciardo made the mistake.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He is a prodigious talent and exciting for the fans to watch. But I agree - he has reached a point where he has to tone it down. He loses himself too many points for one! I'd show him the difference between Hamilton when he first started out and now. Whatever you think of him, Hamilton fights hard when he needs to but is very mature in the way he drives. It wouldn't hurt Verstappen to learn a bit from him.
  • Options
    Most of the top drivers steer well clear of him whenever possible!
  • Options

I’m the same as you in terms of following it so not sure whats happened in the other races but yesterday was no fault of his own in any way, he was racing Ricciardo like he would anyone and Ricciardo made the mistake.
    I thought that in real time but watching again Verstappen did weave and you can't do that! It is naughty against a car from another team, but you certainly don't drive like that against your team mate!
  • Options

I thought that in real time but watching again Verstappen did weave and you can't do that! It is naughty against a car from another team, but you certainly don't drive like that against your team mate!
    Been officially judged a racing incident, a view which was held by just about all the Sky team reporters.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    I think because he is entertaining and liked, and I find his driving exciting, that a lot give him a bit more slack than they should. He went to the right, then to the left - you are only supposed to make one move in that position.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3p5AFwsPXlk
  • Options

Niki Lauda said Verstappen was 70% to blame and can't go moving all over the road in the breaking area.
  • Options
    A very exciting race, as was last week, but what has made them interesting is a) crashes, and b) the subsequent safety cars mixing up strategy etc. Those are all parts of Formula One, so I'm not saying that somehow doesn't count, but the sport still desperately needs to address the issues of overtaking. The current regs have made it even harder but without it every race where there isn't a wild card incident, like a crash or rain, almost inevitably turns into a procession, with most teams on similar tyre strategies. I like the sport a lot, but action packed races like the last two are usually pretty few and far between and we might see the race lead change due to an on track overtake maybe once or twice a season (if at all). You can have all the midfield DRS assisted overtakes you like, but if you know that the guy leading after the first round of pit stops just has to avoid crashing or a breakdown to win, it isn't that exciting.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Some of the 'veteran' drivers had plenty to say about Verstappen a couple of seasons ago and at first I felt it was sour grapes as this young, talented driver was coming through the ranks and they didn't like it.
    However, the more races that pass by the more incidents Max is involved in, (excluding yesterday as It was more DR's fault) but he can't hide behind this 'aggressive driver' facade forever.

• Options
    Intially I thought it was Ricciardo's fault for just shunting him up the arse, but my son put me right by saying that Verstappen had made two movements. Its a little tough for me, coz I have to watch it on the Belgian terestrial tv in French, and even though my French is improving, its not quite 'there' yet to understand all what the commentator is saying.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    DR was a bit over committed, not sure he'd have made the corner anyway, but JV initially bought DR's dummy but then changed his mind by which time it was too late for DR to avoid a collision as there just was not enough breaking room with the speed differential he had. It was a high risk move from DR, especially on a team mate and a driver as ruthless as JV, but they wouldn't have collided if JV hadn't made two moves, or at the very least 1 and half moves, so I make Nikki Lauder right that fault was 70:30 weighted towards JV.

Interestingly, just after the two switched places due to the pit stops, DR's engineer was on the radio egging him on to "do him again" and I'm sure a sense of injustice on DR's part having passed JV once only to get screwed over by the way the new tyres just wouldn't heat up, plus the somewhat OTT praise he was getting in China for over taking a few cars with a massive tyre degradation advantage, all played into his thinking in making him a bit over aggressive too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

DR was a bit over committed, not sure he'd have made the corner anyway, but JV initially bought DR's dummy but then changed his mind by which time it was too late for DR to avoid a collision as there just was not enough breaking room with the speed differential he had. It was a high risk move from DR, especially on a team mate and a driver as ruthless as JV, but they wouldn't have collided if JV hadn't made two moves, or at the very least 1 and half moves, so I make Nikki Lauder right that fault was 70:30 weighted towards JV.

Interestingly, just after the two switched places due to the pit stops, DR's engineer was on the radio egging him on to "do him again" and I'm sure a sense of injustice on DR's part having passed JV once only to get screwed over by the way the new tyres just wouldn't heat up, plus the somewhat OTT praise he was getting in China for over taking a few cars with a massive tyre degradation advantage, all played into his thinking in making him a bit over aggressive too.

You mean MV.
  • Options
    edited April 2018

You mean MV.
    Lol, yes, of course I do. Sorry Monday morning head (and not the good kind).
  • Options

You mean MV.
    Lol, yes, of course I do. Sorry Monday morning head (and not the good kind.
    Easily done. The professional commentators/pundits do the same all the time!
  • Options
    Verstappen is a bit of a arsehole. Fast but stupid.
  • Options
    Wow what a race from Ricciardo

Lost alot of power after around 25 laps went out to 10/1 somehow held Vettel off and won.

I have no Idea how he won that
  • Options
    He did well, but it was a boring race as it is so difficult to pass there. Well done Ricciardo though - he deserved that. Good result for Hamilton, this circuit is probably Mercedes' worst. Only lost 3 points to Vettel in the end!
  • Options

He did well, but it was a boring race as it is so difficult to pass there. Well done Ricciardo though - he deserved that. Good result for Hamilton, this circuit is probably Mercedes' worst. Only lost 3 points to Vettel in the end!

Thats an understatement
    He had 160hp less than Vettel

• Options
    edited May 2018

Pretty certain Hamilton would have bitten your arm off if you’d offered him that before the race.
  • Options
    Yes, this was a race they wanted out of the way.