Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton caretaker boss Lee Bowyer to remain in charge until end of season

Comments

• Options
    I think we should all stop second guessing what
    That prick RD is doing,
    And 100% support Lee and Jacko and our beloved Charlton!!
    This team with this new Management can get
    Promoted ( with Wigan and Blackburn)

Just goes to show what a tactical Wanker KR
    Was!!
  • Options
    Of course this is a very pleasing decision for us as fans, not just because of Bowyer's early form as caretaker boss but also because of his understanding of Charlton culture, his own history with the club which we've all craved since RD's unforgivable sacking of SCP and the Curbs days, and then the key personnel and tactical changes he has made (Dijksteel, Aribo back in the center, two up top). This is without mentioning that he has lifted the spirits and given his own playing experiences, he relates well to disgruntled, frustrated players and their lack of suitable role models of late.

The reality is the club has made this decision because it's their only choice. The takeover is stalling in some form, who knows what, but it is and RD wants to sell so he isn't going to pay out for a new manager. I don't give a f--- what Murray says, he's not to be trusted. I'm just happy Bowyer has been given the opportunity to do the best he possibly can with us over the next few months and who knows where it may lead.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    For those who can tune in - Bowyer is about to speak with Jim White on talksport.

EDIT - After a golf update...
  • Options
    I personally think is great news that Lee Bowyer and Johnnie Jackson are in charge of the playing staff for the rest of this season. I think its pretty good also that RD is still in charge as he is putting the cash in at a 1 million a month and if the takeover goes on to say July that's another 4 million out of his purse. That gives the new owners more money for transfers in the summer. Frustrating for us loyal caring fans, of course, but best solution for the squad for next season. I believe that the eventual owners haven't declared themselves yet and are waiting in the wings, hence the delays
  • Options

Give him a two-year contract he has earned it

Agreed
  • Options
    Bowyer to continue as caretaker manager

• Options
    edited June 2018
    I don't know if this is good or bad news but happy with Bowyer whatever happens.
  • Options
    think it's ridiculous. what meaningful decisions can he make when a new man may come in next week and disagree with them and Bow may not be hear come then. ok, we need someone to take training etc when they come back but his hands are well and truly tied.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My choice to have him. Deserves chance but don’t look like his going to have much money to spend now take over not happening.
  • Options
    Fair play to Bowyer taking this on he is either very brave or very stupid! Not only having to deal with Rd and the takeover shit, possible playing staff and general staff cuts, no senior management team to report to, a scandal involving 2 (possibly 3) promising young players who may have thrown it all away... a restless and frustrated fan base... this has to be the worst job in football right now?
  • Options
    Maybe he knows he is first choice under Muir's lot so takes it on a 'temp' basis until takeover completes?
  • Options
    Markg2004 said:

Maybe he knows he is first choice under Muir's lot so takes it on a 'temp' basis until takeover completes?

That's the best scenario imo
  • Options
    Maybe he should have said no and forced Duchebags hand?
  • Options

Fair play to Bowyer taking this on he is either very brave or very stupid! Not only having to deal with Rd and the takeover shit, possible playing staff and general staff cuts, no senior management team to report to, a scandal involving 2 (possibly 3) promising young players who may have thrown it all away... a restless and frustrated fan base... this has to be the worst job in football right now?

....all true but for Bowyer it's a win- win. To outsiders it looks like an act of loyalty which will bolster his reputation. It's very early in his management career and there won't be too many League 1 clubs willing to take a gamble on him. If it doesn’t go well, it's great experience and most will blame the owner. If it goes well he'll quite rightly be praised. Also our expectations if there is no sale will be rock bottom, it'll be a major achievement just to avoid relegation to L2.

Smart move by Bowyer in my book. Wish him well.
  • Options
    First sell Konsa, now this, sounds to me like Rocunt trying to force the Aussies hand
  • Options

....all true but for Bowyer it's a win- win. To outsiders it looks like an act of loyalty which will bolster his reputation. It's very early in his management career and there won't be too many League 1 clubs willing to take a gamble on him. If it doesn’t go well, it's great experience and most will blame the owner. If it goes well he'll quite rightly be praised. Also our expectations if there is no sale will be rock bottom, it'll be a major achievement just to avoid relegation to L2.

Smart move by Bowyer in my book. Wish him well.
    Pretty much the same situation as when he took over from Robinson to start with really!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bowyer every time for me.
    No nonsense ex-CAFC lad.
    Bad boy now reformed man.
    This is the start of something good. look around London/Home Counties at ex-players now managing their old club.

Pompey away game was the most connected I have felt with CAFC for 5 years.

Just need to sign Benty now !
  • Options
    I'm not reading too much into this tbh over than Bowyer may be the now preferred choice of the potential buyers going forward.

If RD doesn't sell and his approach is to keep squeezing budget, offloading, I'm pretty convinced Bowyer won't want to be a part of it.

I'm sure he wants to be a manager, but I also suspect not at any cost, and I doubt he wants a likely failure as his first point on his CV.
  • Options
    honest question bowyer or powell.

for me id give bowyer a go some things are best left as great memories and they were some v memorable away trips.
  • Options
    I reckon Bow has the job whether RD remains or when the Aussies come in.
  • Options
    Caretaker manager in the same way fraeye was?
  • Options
    The new caretaker when Bow has had a gutful of it.