Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The playoff race

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2018
    Scoham said:

Thursday 10 May 7.45pm (League One A)
    6th vs Shrewsbury

Saturday 12 May 12.30pm (League One B )
    5th vs Rotherham

Sunday 13 May 5.15pm (League One A)
    Shrewsbury vs 6th.

Wednesday 16 May 7.45pm (League One B )
    Rotherham vs 5th.

————

This is based on Shrews finishing 3rd and Rotherham 4th. It takes into account that Rotherham have a Euro U17 game at their stadium on 13th and so must play in schedule B.

finishing 5th advantageous as extra days rest/time to recover niggling knocks
    Except according to CAST we don't yet know if A is 3rd v 6th or 4th v 5th.

https://www.castrust.org/2018/04/play-off-times-confirmed/
    (We don't yet know which of A and B will be the games between third and sixth and which will be fourth against fifth)
    There is a quarter final match of the Euro U17 tournament being played at Rotherham on the 13th May. They couldn't possibly schedule a play off semi final there for the same date...

Thus the Rotherham tie would have to be 12th/16th and Shrews would have to be 10th/13th.
  • Options
    edited April 2018

Scoham said:

Thursday 10 May 7.45pm (League One A)
    6th vs Shrewsbury

Saturday 12 May 12.30pm (League One B )
    5th vs Rotherham

Sunday 13 May 5.15pm (League One A)
    Shrewsbury vs 6th.

Wednesday 16 May 7.45pm (League One B )
    Rotherham vs 5th.

————

This is based on Shrews finishing 3rd and Rotherham 4th. It takes into account that Rotherham have a Euro U17 game at their stadium on 13th and so must play in schedule B.

finishing 5th advantageous as extra days rest/time to recover niggling knocks
    Except according to CAST we don't yet know if A is 3rd v 6th or 4th v 5th.

https://www.castrust.org/2018/04/play-off-times-confirmed/
    (We don't yet know which of A and B will be the games between third and sixth and which will be fourth against fifth)
    There is a quarter final match of the Euro U17 tournament being played at Rotherham on the 13th May. They couldn't possibly schedule a play off semi final there for the same date...
    What's wrong with scheduling a double-header?

It would be a larger crowd for the U17s than would otherwise have been there.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Dazzler21 said:

If results went our way (they won't) we could lose all 3 and still make play offs.

Realistically we need to break the 70 barrier.

How are were fairing against your prediction Daz? I have not seen an update for a while.
    Win the last 2 and we finish one point above my prediction.

draw one and win one, we finish 1 point behind it.

Win one and lose one 2 behind it.

draw one and lose one, 4 behind it.

lose both, 5 behind it.

Just in case you wondered still!?
    Nah, I have lost interest now, I asked the question a month ago :wink:
  • Options
    Guys, I don't want to put too much of a dampener on your enthusiasm, but feel I should warn you that my Mum and Dad are coming to the Blackburn game. Given that I think their last visit was for Pompey at home, I think you should all be preparing yourselves for possible disappointment.
  • Options
    aliwibble said:

Guys, I don't want to put too much of a dampener on your enthusiasm, but feel I should warn you that my Mum and Dad are coming to the Blackburn game. Given that I think their last visit was for Pompey at home, I think you should all be preparing yourselves for possible disappointment.

Sure it wasn’t the first game back at the valley?
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Equation for this Saturday is simple. Just match Plymouth's result against Rotherham. If they get three points, we get three points. If they draw, we need at least a draw. If they lose, any result is a bonus.

The gap between them and us is three points. We have +7 GD and they have +3 GD.

With our superior goal difference, matching their result at the weekend means we'd stay above them going into the final day no matter what their result at Scunthorpe is in midweek.
  • Options

It's a short turnaround before the playoffs start, the final game on Saturday then the first game could be as early as the next Thursday, I hope the ticket office is prepared!

Not sure if this has been mentioned already but that following week is bank holiday Monday too! Even less time for supporters to get tickets!!
  • Options
    cafc_se7 said:

It's a short turnaround before the playoffs start, the final game on Saturday then the first game could be as early as the next Thursday, I hope the ticket office is prepared!

Not sure if this has been mentioned already but that following week is bank holiday Monday too! Even less time for supporters to get tickets!!
    Surely ticket office staff will already be in on Bank Holiday Monday to deal with the deadline-day season ticket applications?
  • Options

Charlton: Rochdale (A)

Scunthorpe: Plymouth (H), Bradford (H)

Plymouth: Scunthorpe (A), Gillingham (A)
  • Options
    Shame Plymouth got a late winner.

But a Scunny win on Tuesday and we are virtually there
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2018
    Best result for us midweek is a Scunthorpe home win over Plymouth. That would leave the Pilgrims three points behind us with at least 5 worse goal difference (4 now plus however many they lose by).

Win at Rochdale and we are guaranteed a play off place regardless of other results.

Draw and we can finish 7th if Plymouth beat Scunthorpe & Gillingham, then Scunthorpe beat Bradford.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    That could have been much worse, it’s very much still in our hands
  • Options
    So Plymouth have to get a win and a draw minimum from the next 2 games or we are in the playoffs...
  • Options
    Next Saturday is gonna be a cracker - with Northampton and Oldham in pretty much a straight relegation play-off Rochdale pretty much HAVE to win based on todays results - and I think we are pretty close to it being must win for us too potentially. Certainly can't lose anyway.

• Options
    Northampton are down mate. Check their goal difference
  • Options
    Oh crap so they are lol still from a Rochdale perspective you wouldn't want to be relying on a point being enough to stay up.
  • Options
    not for the first time this season Plymouth get a last gasp penalty winner. I think Carey has missed 3 or 4 penalties as well ...
  • Options
    Carey is a good player , someone we should keep an eye on should we get promoted.
  • Options
    I am trying to work out the best outcome from the Scunny v Plymouth game on Tuesday. I am thinking a small Plymouth win would be preferable as it leaves both teams still below us with one game left. A draw puts Scunny above us on goal difference and leaves Plymouth able to overtake us if we lose to Rochdale. A big Scunny win would also put a big goal difference between us and Plymouth that should also leave us safe failing a capitulation at Rochdale. ...so, anything except a draw then please.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    The worst case scenario is we lose to Rochdale so we have to want a Scunthorpe win which means we still have a decent chance even if that happens (At least a 5 goal swing). I don't care if we play Shrewsbury or Rotherham to be honest!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yeah it's funny... before today I was thinking the draw was the best result, but now despite the fact that technically nothing has really changed since all three of us won today, I would actually say a 2 goal win+ for Scunthorpe would be my preferred option since we already have the 4 goal cushion on Plymouth. If Plymouth are going to win it then by the least goals possible would be best... just as long as they don't suddenly get their scoring boots on next few games we should be fine.

The only real unknown element for us to worry about is Rochdale and which version of them turns up - the ones that pushed Spurs so far would be a worry, the version that got beat today not so much... There is a scenario that could play out where both teams only need a point with 5 or 10 to go - will be interesting to see what they do then!

• Options
    What an amazing result today. If we do make the play offs it will be around 20 years since we were last there with Sunderland. Well done Bowyer and Jackson quite the team from the results you have produced
  • Options
    Plymouth and Scunthorpe are both above us in the Form Table, for what's it worth, though of course we could only play them in the final anyway.
  • Options
    We need Scunthorpe to beat Plymouth by a couple of goals at least, ideally them them, that would leave us 3 ahead of them and a plus 6 better goal difference.

I quite fancy us over the two legs against Shrewsbury who aren't on a good run and will be suffering mentally by finishing 3rd when they spent so long in the top two. I'd be fairly confident if thats the fixture.

A final against Rotherham or Scunthorpe will be tough but it's one game and anything can happen, i'd fancy Scunthorpe of the two.
  • Options
    meldrew66 said:

I am trying to work out the best outcome from the Scunny v Plymouth game on Tuesday. I am thinking a small Plymouth win would be preferable as it leaves both teams still below us with one game left. A draw puts Scunny above us on goal difference and leaves Plymouth able to overtake us if we lose to Rochdale. A big Scunny win would also put a big goal difference between us and Plymouth that should also leave us safe failing a capitulation at Rochdale. ...so, anything except a draw then please.

You are in the minority of 1 then, as a Scunny win will almost certainly put us in the play offs. Even if we lost to Rochdale it isn't going to be more than by 2 goals & I cant see Plymouth winning by more than 3. I don't really care if we come 5th or 6th, although my preference would be to play the home leg on the Thursday evening so that the away leg is on a weekend, rather than having the stress of charging up north in mid-week rush hour after picking Golfie jnr up from school in the afternoon.
  • Options
    Pretty straightforward really.

We want a Scunthorpe win midweek, preferably by 2-3 goals or more, which would leave Plymouth needing a big win on the last day plus a big defeat for us.
  • Options
    Scunny win tues = pretty much impossible for us not to finish top 6
    Draw = both can catch us final day but would only a point at Rochdale to confirm
    Plymouth win = ridiculously tight and we would need to win at Rochdale to guarantee. Gives us a better chance of 5th

From the above it’s clear that Scunthorpe winning is the best outcome
  • Options
    Also both Scunthorpe and Plymouth have much easier last day fixtures than us. Both playing sides who are already on their holidays. So we'd much prefer it to be done and dusted this midweek.