Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ant McPartlin arrested

Comments

• Options
    IdleHans said:

Is Ant the pointy- faced one or the chubby cheeked one? I've never paid enough attention to antanddec to work it out.

It's simple to tell them apart on screen. Ant always stands to the left of Dec as you look, i.e..e Ant & Dec. I never had enough interest in them to differentiate until someone told me this!
  • Options
    That video does him a lot of harm. Yes he would have been shocked, but he looked beyond pissed. It would be interesting to know by how much he was over the limit, but this doesn't look like a few drinks the night before and having some residue in his body.
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Fuck me, he looks absolutely wankered in that footage.
  • Options

If he was your son would you show No compassion would it be the end of your relationship with him

I'd tell him to ditch his driving licence or go sober.

If you can't control your actions when you drink, either quit drinking or quit driving to save yourself from risking lives.

I have not and will not ever drink drive. I have ditched friends who have drink driven on more than one occasion.

I agree with the Zero tolerance stance that many have.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

Addickted said:
    Hard to disagre, hopefully it turns out it's just a bit of shock from the Airbag. Doesn't look good though. If he was indeed under the influence, strip him of his license immediately.
  • Options
    Stig said:

Very tough to tell people they can't have a pint and drive though, especially the next morning when the influence of that alcohol is all but gone.

I understand what you are saying. But if we have zero tolerance then everyone knows where they stand. The morning after is a strong debate. I know loads who drive the next morning after a session. But we will never stop it. Same as driving while on the phone or no seat belt or speeding let’s be honest most of us on here have done at least two of the above. I just don’t know what the answer is.

Driverless cars, that's the answer. In twenty years time we'll wonder what all the fuss was about.
    It's an entirely separate debate and I don't want to derail the thread or anything but...

I agree driverless cars are the way forward. But I think our entire road system (at least in cities) needs a complete rethink if it is to be a success. We shouldn't try and fit driverless cars into our current road system. We should redesign a road system that works for driverless cars.
  • Options

Stig said:

Very tough to tell people they can't have a pint and drive though, especially the next morning when the influence of that alcohol is all but gone.

I understand what you are saying. But if we have zero tolerance then everyone knows where they stand. The morning after is a strong debate. I know loads who drive the next morning after a session. But we will never stop it. Same as driving while on the phone or no seat belt or speeding let’s be honest most of us on here have done at least two of the above. I just don’t know what the answer is.

Driverless cars, that's the answer. In twenty years time we'll wonder what all the fuss was about.
    It's an entirely separate debate and I don't want to derail the thread or anything but...

I agree driverless cars are the way forward. But I think our entire road system (at least in cities) needs a complete rethink if it is to be a success. We shouldn't try and fit driverless cars into our current road system. We should redesign a road system that works for driverless cars.
    I've watched quite a few programs about driverless cars and the technology is a long way off from solving all the problems. It would need a government to completely rethink the transport system and keep all the various transport lobbies happy. All I can see is that things will be implemented in a half-arsed and dangerous way.

• Options

If he was your son would you show No compassion would it be the end of your relationship with him

He is hardly a kid and if it transpires that he was heavily over the limit and driving dangerously at the time of the accident then he needs to be punished.

If it was my son I'd be really pissed off with him and I would hope he would take responsibility for his actions. An apology would be good and a sign that he's not going to repeat his behaviour. I would never give up on a child whatever they'd done and however pissesd off I am with them - kids are a job for life through thick and thin.

Drink driving kills people however much people excuse it - all the evidence shows how it affects reflexes, judgement etc.

• Options

Stig said:

I've watched quite a few programs about driverless cars and the technology is a long way off from solving all the problems. It would need a government to completely rethink the transport system and keep all the various transport lobbies happy. All I can see is that things will be implemented in a half-arsed and dangerous way.

That's exactly my point. If not done properly it will be dangerous. If they don't completely redesign the system at least in cities it won't work. Bolting 2 systems together will be chaos.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I can honestly say I have never seen any of their shows, am I unique?
  • Options

Stig said:

That's exactly my point. If not done properly it will be dangerous. If they don't completely redesign the system at least in cities it won't work. Bolting 2 systems together will be chaos.
    Chaos is guaranteed. People talk of a system of driverless vehicles yet have no idea how to implement it.
  • Options
    Halix said:

Probably. Don't know how you've managed to avoid them.
  • Options
    He's a freemason as well.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Halix said:

I vaguely remember them from that Geordie kids programme in the early 90's but other than that I've only seen them on news clips/channel surfing. If you're not interested in celebs or talent shows they're easy to filter out.
  • Options
    Halix said:

Not sure, does bumping into them when channel hopping and immediately moving on to something else count?
  • Options
    Halix said:

you probably haven't got a tele !
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Addickted said:
    Hard to disagre, hopefully it turns out it's just a bit of shock from the Airbag. Doesn't look good though. If he was indeed under the influence, strip him of his license immediately.
    Not sure how long 'airbag shock' lasts, but here's our hero stumbling into a police car as he's arrested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbs1zo8f57w
  • Options
    I'm suprised that his mother was in the car and let him drive like that. My old dear would more than likey threaten to phone the police if I tried to get in the driving seat of a car like that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PopIcon said:

I'm suprised that his mother was in the car and let him drive like that. My old dear would more than likey threaten to phone the police if I tried to get in the driving seat of a car like that.

Maybe she was pissed too?
  • Options

I am not sure anybody is arguing there is any defence of the act of drink driving.

Society has established its perceived punishments in law for any such transgressions.

It somewhat bizarrely links the punishment to the outcome of the transgression.

It is bizarre because the outcome in reality is almost entirely down to events outside of the transgression itself.

Whether you drink drive and hit a lamppost or kill someone is entirely a matter beyond the control of the transgressor driving on the public highway.

The personality or the profession of the individual is entirely irrelevant. I am never quite sure why people try to hold people in the public eye to a higher standard of law than anyone else.

In my limited experience in working in the West End with a number of "well known" customers they are all just human beings with their own challenges no matter their "fame" or "wealth".

We all face our demons in life. You will be very fortunate if on occasion they do not derail some aspect of your work or family life.

Unless and until I have walked in their shoes will always be my approach.

Ant & Dec have established themselves as "legends" in U.K.TV land or just maybe the TV company anointed them as such as per Willoughby & Scofield or Simon Cowell.

It has carried huge rewards but there is always a price to pay. I personally am no great fan but I respect they have "stayed at the top" for over a decade. A decade of acclaim but also a decade pressure to stay there and a decade of having your life on display.

I understand his drug and drink dependency arose from taking painkillers in respect of an accidental personal injury. He is not alone on such a journey. The over prescription of increasing pain medication has created all too many dependencies.

As the dependency increases so comes the pressure of failing work and life partners. He has loyalties to his work partner, contractual obligations to meet and responsibilities to his family. As those things start to fail before breaking down irretrievably the guilt and self loathing will kick in.

Some people drink to excess for pleasure some drink to excess to forget.

Does such a life journey excuse climbing into the drivers seat of any vehicle whilst inebriated? Never. He should and no doubt will pay a heavy price. The law will takes its course and rightly so.

We have now seen the fall from grace, the rehab and now we have apparently a relapse. The demons appear to still be in play.

He has earned his money. He needs to walk away and build a life away from the public gaze for a couple of years. His work partner and the TV companies need to let him go.

Ultimately it is one person who has been fortunate in that this incident has not killed anyone or seemingly involved life changing injury.

He has a price to pay, another chance to recover from his demons and change his life. Whether he takes such opportunity is entirely down to him. Due his now former career he would seemingly be better positioned than most to do just that.

I am not sure he is deserving of any greater opprobrium or sympathy than anyone else. Let us not delude ourselves there are not still far too many in society who will climb into a vehicle in an unfit state to drive.

Is zero tolerance the answer and is it easily enforceable on a nationwide basis is a question beyond my little grey cells. Do you fit every vehicle with a breath test & DNA device linked to the ignition?

Even then I am sure someone would find a way around that. Ultimately we live in a human society and humans are a very flawed species. Some will always neglect their responsibilities to their fellow man/ woman.

What pisses me off is that the rich and powerful are not treated equally in the eyes of the law. If you can afford a decent lawyer you will invariably get a better outcome.

There seems to be a reluctance for the fans of a lot of celebrities to face up to the transgressions of their heroes and they're too ready to make excuses for them.

I'm sure nobody bears any ill will towards Ant McPartlin if he's going through a bad time but he has take responsibility for being at the wheel of a car and causing an accident while under the influence. Nobody forced him to drive the car - he could have got a chauffeur or a taxi. If he tries to worm his way out of this with a dodgy legal defence then that will just show he's learnt nothing from his rehab.

I hope he gets his life back on track but that also involves not using his celebrity status as a get out of jail card.
  • Options
    I think he should get a short custodial sentence if he was way over the limit. He could have killed somebody and that is all there should be to it!
  • Options
    edited March 2018

He is hardly a kid and if it transpires that he was heavily over the limit and driving dangerously at the time of the accident then he needs to be punished.

If it was my son I'd be really pissed off with him and I would hope he would take responsibility for his actions. An apology would be good and a sign that he's not going to repeat his behaviour. I would never give up on a child whatever they'd done and however pissesd off I am with them - kids are a job for life through thick and thin.

Drink driving kills people however much people excuse it - all the evidence shows how it affects reflexes, judgement etc.

Exactly you’d treat your own kid with tough love but compassion you wouldn’t wish to see him ruined with no chance of redemption which is why I said in this instance where no one thankfully and by pure luck no one was injured or killed he deserves the chance to get better and put this behind him with probably only a loss of career and not life

Someone with his vast wealth should be able to afford to hire drivers and cars at the drop of a hat and it’s a purely disgusting and despicable act that he has done

The lack of management presence in his life to allow this to happen and the fact there seems to be a sustained recent period of issues in his personal life screams a troubled man who really needs support help and love and a whole lot of fixing

I’d hope that if I was in his boat or one of my kids that society would forgive and grant me a second chance especially as No one was injured in any serious way which was pure luck on his behalf
  • Options
    I suppose it is difficult when you are not just responsible for your career but that of your best friend. It might not have been sensible to get involved with the sort of live show their Saturday show is.
  • Options

Exactly you’d treat your own kid with tough love but compassion you wouldn’t wish to see him ruined with no chance of redemption which is why I said in this instance where no one thankfully and by pure luck no one was injured or killed he deserves the chance to get better and put this behind him with probably only a loss of career and not life

Someone with his vast wealth should be able to afford to hire drivers and cars at the drop of a hat and it’s a purely disgusting and despicable act that he has done

The lack of management presence in his life to allow this to happen and the fact there seems to be a sustained recent period of issues in his personal life screams a troubled man who really needs support help and love and a whole lot of fixing

I’d hope that if I was in his boat or one of my kids that society would forgive and grant me a second chance especially as No one was injured in any serious way which was pure luck on his behalf
    It's down to him what he wants to do - he's fabulously wealthy and can get access to support. He's in a lot better position than most people with mental health problems in terms of being able to access support.

If he has any sense he will prioritise his health and wellbeing over the pursuit of his career and wealth that he doesn't need.

His career should be the last thing on his mind.
  • Options

I am not sure anybody is arguing there is any defence of the act of drink driving.

Society has established its perceived punishments in law for any such transgressions.

It somewhat bizarrely links the punishment to the outcome of the transgression.

It is bizarre because the outcome in reality is almost entirely down to events outside of the transgression itself.

Whether you drink drive and hit a lamppost or kill someone is entirely a matter beyond the control of the transgressor driving on the public highway.

The personality or the profession of the individual is entirely irrelevant. I am never quite sure why people try to hold people in the public eye to a higher standard of law than anyone else.

In my limited experience in working in the West End with a number of "well known" customers they are all just human beings with their own challenges no matter their "fame" or "wealth".

We all face our demons in life. You will be very fortunate if on occasion they do not derail some aspect of your work or family life.

Unless and until I have walked in their shoes will always be my approach.

Ant & Dec have established themselves as "legends" in U.K.TV land or just maybe the TV company anointed them as such as per Willoughby & Scofield or Simon Cowell.

It has carried huge rewards but there is always a price to pay. I personally am no great fan but I respect they have "stayed at the top" for over a decade. A decade of acclaim but also a decade pressure to stay there and a decade of having your life on display.

I understand his drug and drink dependency arose from taking painkillers in respect of an accidental personal injury. He is not alone on such a journey. The over prescription of increasing pain medication has created all too many dependencies.

As the dependency increases so comes the pressure of failing work and life partners. He has loyalties to his work partner, contractual obligations to meet and responsibilities to his family. As those things start to fail before breaking down irretrievably the guilt and self loathing will kick in.

Some people drink to excess for pleasure some drink to excess to forget.

Does such a life journey excuse climbing into the drivers seat of any vehicle whilst inebriated? Never. He should and no doubt will pay a heavy price. The law will takes its course and rightly so.

We have now seen the fall from grace, the rehab and now we have apparently a relapse. The demons appear to still be in play.

He has earned his money. He needs to walk away and build a life away from the public gaze for a couple of years. His work partner and the TV companies need to let him go.

Ultimately it is one person who has been fortunate in that this incident has not killed anyone or seemingly involved life changing injury.

He has a price to pay, another chance to recover from his demons and change his life. Whether he takes such opportunity is entirely down to him. Due his now former career he would seemingly be better positioned than most to do just that.

I am not sure he is deserving of any greater opprobrium or sympathy than anyone else. Let us not delude ourselves there are not still far too many in society who will climb into a vehicle in an unfit state to drive.

Is zero tolerance the answer and is it easily enforceable on a nationwide basis is a question beyond my little grey cells. Do you fit every vehicle with a breath test & DNA device linked to the ignition?

Even then I am sure someone would find a way around that. Ultimately we live in a human society and humans are a very flawed species. Some will always neglect their responsibilities to their fellow man/ woman.

What pisses me off is that the rich and powerful are not treated equally in the eyes of the law. If you can afford a decent lawyer you will invariably get a better outcome.

Don't let such fictitious nonsense piss you off. Everyone is treated equally at a mags' court. By way of illustration: did you notice Rooney not getting let off recently?

Assuming the original breath test is confirmed by a further test back at the nick, (and the fact he has checked himself back into re-hab suggests it will), the quality of his lawyer in this instance is unlikely to have any major impact other than, just possibly, for mitigation. Indeed, if he was to pitch up with a highly paid QC in the Mags' Court, the chances are the magistrates, particularly if it's a stipendary sitting alone, would just get pissed off and hand down a heftier sentence.

I think he should get a short custodial sentence if he was way over the limit. He could have killed somebody and that is all there should be to it!

As ever, sentencing guidelines are complex and certain factors increase a penalty: crucially whether the blood/alcohol reading was high, but also whether there was an accident and whether anybody was KSI or whether the driver was in charge of an HGV or taxi for example. While others, like medical conditions and a guilty plea will reduce the penalty.

Of course no one yet knows what the blood/alcohol reading was but with there being an accident and a young girl injured, if his reading was high, he might, just, get a custodial. My guess is a 28 months ban plus a DVLA medical to get his licence back and a community order.

Perhaps we should run a sweepstake?
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Dazzler21 said:

Addickted said:
    Not sure how long 'airbag shock' lasts, but here's our hero stumbling into a police car as he's arrested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbs1zo8f57w
    Hero?
  • Options
    Tony Adams went away for similar.
  • Options

He’s not a stupid man but a stupid decision. Knows the possible consequences and still decided to jump behind the wheel. Absolutely irresponsible and unforgivable.

he was driving his Mum, you would have thought she would have said something?

Do we even know the full story? Genuine question as i haven't looked.

I find it hard to believe that his mum would get in the car if he had been boozing all day. Is it possible he'd had a few the night before, felt ok to drive the next day but was still over the limit?

Obviously it's not ok as he failed a breath test, but a lot of people (including i'm sure many on this forum including me) probably drive the day after drinking the night before. His mum might not even have known he'd been drinking?

Although as it was mid afternoon when he crashed i'd guess he must've been out on an all night bender to still be over the limit!
    Having seen the video i would like to retract this post. He's absolutely fucked getting out of that car. How on earth did his mum let him drive in that state?!!