Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wildcards for the England football team.

Comments

• Options
    Does sound stupid to leave out big names but we are now so far down the pecking order we need freshness and unpredictable players that the oppo doesn't know too much about on the international scale.

By that I don't mean bring players from a lower league .
  • Options
    Shelley nowhere near international class BUT Rooney of Everton is looking ok :)
  • Options
    Who's going to name their squad then?
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    agim said:

Who's going to name their squad then?

Goalkeeper: Butland | Pickford | Pope
    Defence: Walker | Stones | Maguire | Gomez | Jones | Rose | Bertrand | Trippier
    MIdfield: Alli | Sterling | Lallana | Oxlade-Chamberlain | Lingard | Livermore | Dier | Cook
    Strikers: Kane | Vardy | Rashford | Abraham

Thats for the World Cup by the way
  • Options
    Pope
    Pickford
    Hart

Walker
    Trippier
    Stones
    Cahill
    Maguire
    Jones
    Rose
    Young

Dier
    Wilshire
    Drinkwater
    Shelvey
    Sterling
    The Ox
    Alli
    Lingard
    Rashford

Kane
    Vardy
    Barnes
  • Options
    I'm not sure I'd trust Shelvey to keep his cool in a big game but if he can then he's worth a spot. He was in great form for England a few years back. Nick Pope should go and I hope Gomez does too.

Wildcards for me:

Ben Chillwell
    Ben Mee
    Trent Alexander-Arnold
    Charlie Daniels
  • Options
    Wildcards for me would be

Tarkowski (After an impressive run this International Break)
    Shelvey
    Solanke
    Barnes (In case Harry Kane doesnt recover)
  • Options
    I have a feeling Southgate might try and get Rooney to go.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I would seriously consider taking Calvert-Lewin.
  • Options

I would seriously consider taking Calvert-Lewin.

Dunno... Its not because he's played for Charlton yet I rate Lookman higher than Calvert-Lewin
  • Options
    I know he now plays for "that lot", but it's surprising how Andros Townsend has fallen out of favour, as he was a regular not that long ago. Fabian Delph was also a regular before he joined City (and got injured) surely a better option than the likes of Jake Livermore?
  • Options
    edited March 2018

I know he now plays for "that lot", but it's surprising how Andros Townsend has fallen out of favour, as he was a regular not that long ago. Fabian Delph was also a regular before he joined City (and got injured) surely a better option than the likes of Jake Livermore?

Delph seems to be playing quite a bit for Man City so wouldnt be surprised if he was included

His injury record is very questionable though

Does Andros Townsend really do much for them? - He scored a good deflection the other day yet surely this is the sort of time for him to sign (i.e. When the serial diver is out injured)
  • Options
    I wouldn't have Shelvey anywhere near the world cup squad. He's liable to do something really stupid at a critical moment in a game. Having said that he's better than Henderson.
  • Options
    pettgra said:

For me, watching England generally is a dull and uninspiring experience.
    With that in mind why not take a bit of a gamble, we have nothing to lose. Their are players out there who are flawed/ inconsistent; however, have that ability to turn games on their head.
    My vote goes to Jonjo. His performance against Man Utd was immense, it was he that looked like the hundred million pound player. He ran the show against Southampton as well.
    I cannot think of any player in the Premier league who has a better range of passing, with both feet as well.I will take his inconsistency over some of those plodding performances we are used to.

There is a lot of logic going with Shelvey - If you are going to have Alli and kane starting, you haven't got Eriksen and whilst Shelvey is sub Eriksen he could allow you to play in a similar way. Definitely worth a try rather than playing two similar and non exciting midfielders.
  • Options

se9addick said:

se9addick said:

Red_James said:

For me the best English CB in the prem this year has been James Tarkowski for Burnley.

He should be in the team for these next international friendlies

I like Lascelles of Newcastle, he would be in my 11 for sure.
    ?? have i been whooshed isn't he french or does he have citizenship now i know he has been at Newcastle for a while...

Shelvey good shout as his passing is above any other England midfielder even Wilshere, although his performances need to be on par with vs Southampton/ United imo

Pope, wouldn't be that unexpected but personally feel he might miss out.

Tarkowski, with a name like that surprised he is eligible

Sessi - defo worth a shout in upcoming friendlies , dont fill LB is very strong at the mo Bertrand first pick and Rose back up, personally if Rose can get back in the spurs team he should be a starter.

Too soon for Foden, Maitland Niles might be a shout looked impressive for Arsenal before their bad form when he played consistently and has done last couple of games.

Lewis Cook? he's had a good season and could be a good starter in the middle.
    Eh ? Lascelles is English - having "La" at the start of your name doesn't automatically make you French!
    I have just responded thank you, i just thought he was french... end of point... carry on with the discussion
    Fair enough @johnnybev1987
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Shelvey compared to Eriksen... heard it all now!
  • Options

They don't compare but I'm struggling to think of many play making central midfielders that we can take?
  • Options
    I wouldn't say i am a massive fan of Shelvey, however i do think he would be a good option. Mainly for his passing, his all round game isn't really up there for me but sometimes you need that player who can pick out a pass, other than wilshere who else gives us that?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    agim said:

They don't compare but I'm struggling to think of many play making central midfielders that we can take?
    Wilshere and Lallana is about it. Barkley too but can't remember when he last played a game.

If i was Southgate i'd go with:

Pickford

Walker Jones Stones Rose

Dier Wilshere
    Alli
    Sterling Rashford

Kane
  • Options
    Butland
    Walker Jones Maguire Rose
    Henderson Wilshere
    Sterling Ali Lingaard
    Kane

CB to partner Jones im not sure, Rose if he can get back in spurs side. Hendo ahead of Dier for me, feel he is a good squad player.
  • Options
    Shelvy has let himself down too many times discipline wise. With any players who are talented but a bit of a nightmare there's a balance whereby you'll let them off some of the behaviour because they bring enough to team to make up for it, Shelvy doesn't and I wouldn't trust him at a major tournament.
  • Options
    Jadon Sancho is getting rave reviews for Borussia Dortmund.
    My England team.

Butland
    Walker, Jones, Cahill, Rose,
    Dier, Loftus- Cheek,
    Sterling, Dele Alli, Rashford,
    Kane

• Options
    se9addick said:

Shelvy has let himself down too many times discipline wise. With any players who are talented but a bit of a nightmare there's a balance whereby you'll let them off some of the behaviour because they bring enough to team to make up for it, Shelvy doesn't and I wouldn't trust him at a major tournament.

Roy Keane was/is a psychopath but played for a top club when they dominated. Its about man management
  • Options
    agim said:

se9addick said:

Roy Keane was/is a psychopath but played for a top club when they dominated. Its about man management
    Quite - you've made my point perfectly for me - Keane was on the right side of the balancing act between nutter and talent. As soon as the talent dried up Ferguson got shot.

Jonjo, in my opinion, is not on the right side of that balance.
  • Options
    I think Jonjo just might have timed his run brilliantly...

Now, I agree that he can be a loose cannon, but think back to England games where we limp out of tournaments, unable to make an impression (e.g. losing to 10-man Brazil). Put Shelvey on for 20 mins in those games, what have you got to lose?
  • Options

He's not comparing him to Eriksen in terms of talent

He's comparing his as someone who can unlock a defence with a pass!!
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

Jadon Sancho is getting rave reviews for Borussia Dortmund.

I wouldnt be surprised if either Sancho or Foden get called up to the Seniors today, expect them both to be with the U21s at best though (making that extra jump)... With the potential for them to be involved training with the Seniors at some stage
  • Options

agim said:

I like Barnes at Burnley. We all know if fit Kane will lead the line and rightly so but I think this fella would be constant aggro for the opposition defence. Him and Vardy off the bench would be good options

Great shout, Barnes has been in good form. Also another option similar to Kane with a bit less pace but a good allrounder.
    Unfortunately, and weirdly, Barnes has already declared himself for Austria.