Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Scapegoat X1

Comments

• Options

Kish absolutely didn't deserve the boos. It used to really infuriate me how little some fans understood about football - he was a key part of the team. What we would give for a Kish now!

Keith Jones was a terrific player too.

Remember the book that Curbs wrote - Against Everton he told Keith Jones to mark Paul Gascoigne and followed those instructions to the letter which involved going to stand by him when Gascoigne went to speak with the bench... No way should Jones have ever been a scapegoat
  • Options
    iainment said:

LenGlover said:

LenGlover said:

Not sure whether or not we've done this but off the top of my head:

Pope

Francis

Sarr

Llera

Fox

Sam

Kishishev

Hughes

McAuley

Leaburn

Lisbie

If the thread title was "they were generally shit but had their good moments" I'd go along with all but Pope and Kishishev but given the title as is, what are we actually blaming them for?
    It's a team of players off the top of my head who attracted the ire and venom of the Valley faithful through at least part of of their time at the Club whether justified or not.

Kish was booed unmercifully at times despite never giving less than his all and Pope was not treated that well either during his short time in the first team at Charlton.

Kish deserved the boos in my opinion. Although I never have booed any Charlton player.
    Was like a headless chicken charging about. Usually chasing the ball he'd just lost.
    Can't fault his effort or attitude though.
    So why did Curbs keep picking him?
  • Options
    Paul Gorman
  • Options
    Danny Green. Whatever went wrong, it would always come back to him, in the eyes of many.
  • Options
    Andy Jones
  • Options
    Some people who post on CL seem quite keen to make Solly our latest.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Rommedahl scored the winner at Palace in added time on the added time so he has a scapegoat immune card. Pringle had terrible injuries so rarely played when 100 % fit. As the criterion is you must of played one good game to qualify did David Campbell or Thurman who was mentioned early have good games ?
  • Options
    edited March 2018

Rommedahl scored the winner at Palace in added time on the added time so he has a scapegoat immune card. Pringle had terrible injuries so rarely played when 100 % fit. As the criterion is you must of played one good game to qualify did David Campbell or Thurman who was mentioned early have good games ?

To be fair to Thuram, although he weetabixed one from 30 yards on his debut at Boro he made several good stops with his feet. Hence my observations after the 0-1 defeat that he should have worn his gloves on his feet and boots on his hands. He was dog turd.though when he threw two in, late on, at Wigan a fortnight later in a 1-2 defeat and thereafter in the home game v QPR.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

Nicky Bailey

Our best player in the two season he had with us. Without his goals we would never have reached the playoffs, yet is only remembered for missing a penalty

That’s harsh.

I also remember him for his constant diving and letting players run off him to score while he was busy pretending to be injured or arguing with the ref after not getting a free kick.
  • Options
    Do any of the old uns remember Dietmar Bruck. There was someone who used to stand with me back in the day who was always giving grief to Mike Flanagan. I think it was an Irish thing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Keith Jones?
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

Keith Jones?

Absolutely loved the guy!
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    The problem with this thread is that one persons perception of a player having been scapegoated conflicts with another persons appreciation of that players efforts for the cause. I'll always be a fan of Solly, Leaburn and Magennis (all included in my Scapegoat subs) and appreciate what they have done for the club but my perception is that they are or have been the brunt of a number of fans ire.
  • Options
    Chris Iwelumo. It would have been difficult to make a positive contribution; considering the rubbish service he was given. He once said, they seem to forget that i can use my feet as well.
  • Options
    pettgra said:

Chris Iwelumo. It would have been difficult to make a positive contribution; considering the rubbish service he was given. He once said, they seem to forget that i can use my feet as well.

How true!

One of the few bright spots of that awful Pardew season of 2008/9 was our comeback from 2-0 down at The Valley against Sheffield Wednesday to win it 3-2. Iwelumo scored 2 both with his feet.
  • Options
    pettgra said:

The only thing that frustrated me about Chris was the amount of fouls he'd make just by jumping for a header

The opposition would then do exactly the same and get away with it!!
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

Do any of the old uns remember Dietmar Bruck.

Never heard of him before as he played long before I was born

Saw that he's German though... I always thought that Patrick Bauer was the first German to play for us?
  • Options
    edited March 2018

dickplumb said:

Saw that he's German though... I always thought that Patrick Bauer was the first German to play for us?
    Bruck came from Coventry, jet black hair worn in a DA, full back who never took any prisoners. His first aim was to see how far he could kick his winger over the touch line. As for his footballing skills..............
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

Do any of the old uns remember Dietmar Bruck. There was someone who used to stand with me back in the day who was always giving grief to Mike Flanagan. I think it was an Irish thing.

I remember Bruck although I don't think he played that often or perhaps I missed those games. Quite stock and a full back if memory serves me right.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

pettgra said:

How true!

One of the few bright spots of that awful Pardew season of 2008/9 was our comeback from 2-0 down at The Valley against Sheffield Wednesday to win it 3-2. Iwelumo scored 2 both with his feet.
    You did well to remember that game. As you said, it was one of the few bright spots; therefore,I should have remembered it as well!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LenGlover said:

pettgra said:

How true!

Remember being there, who scored the other, Reid?
    Also didn't Iwelumo get a 98th minute winner or something against Southampton. Was watching the scores on soccer saturday and it felt like the latest goal ever.
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

I do. He played when I was a kid. Big, tough German who tackled hard if I remember correctly.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

To be fair to Thuram, although he weetabixed one from 30 yards on his debut at Boro he made several good stops with his feet. Hence my observations after the 0-1 defeat that he should have worn his gloves on his feet and boots on his hands. He was dog turd.though when he threw two in, late on, at Wigan a fortnight later in a 1-2 defeat and thereafter in the home game v QPR.
    Thuram will forever be derided because of the way he arrived, and how it helped lead to Powell's departure

However, he can't be that bad, even if his style isn't perhaps suited to English football. He's made a decent number of appearances for Standard Liege, and has played a reasonable number of games for Le Havre in the second tier of French football (his current club), and Troyes in the first tier.

His credentials are probably better than say Ross Worner's. Maybe if he had been allowed time to settle in, he might have been a decent keeper for us,
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

dickplumb said:

I remember Bruck although I don't think he played that often or perhaps I missed those games. Quite stock and a full back if memory serves me right.
    He played over fifty games for us.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

dickplumb said:

He was born in Danzig which was in Poland before the German invasion. It is now part of Poland and has been renamed Gdansk.

• Options
    Simon Makienok
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

LenGlover said:

dickplumb said:

I did see him a few times but I was playing sport myself in those days so didn't get there every week. The odd evening game when schoolwork allowed or it was the holidays. It does surprise me that he played as many as fifty games I have to say.
  • Options
    Andy Peake and John Bumstead used to get a raw deal from the fans in my view. Both very important players during their time with us.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    LenGlover said:

dickplumb said:

LenGlover said:

dickplumb said:

I did see him a few times but I was playing sport myself in those days so didn't get there every week. The odd evening game when schoolwork allowed or it was the holidays. It does surprise me that he played as many as fifty games I have to say.
    We paid £15000 for him which you'll know Len was a lot of money in 1970. :wink:
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

LenGlover said:

dickplumb said:

LenGlover said:

dickplumb said:

We paid £15000 for him which you'll know Len was a lot of money in 1970. :wink:
    15,000 Guineas was even more although from the little I did see of him no way could Dietmar be compared with a racehorse....