Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Options
    seth plum said:

He is not the greatest player we have ever had, however I find I like him enormously as a person and in his footballing attitude.
    I hope his current upturn in form is sustained because Big Josh is simply great being Big Josh.

This really. No doubting the mans commitment and effort. He’s never going to be a 20 goal a season striker and it’s Charlton fault for him being the only striker on the books with expectation of scoring practically every other game.

• Options
    Intelligent man and player who does contribute a lot to the team when he's not scoring, though ultimately strikers will always be expected to score a certain number of goals.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

And we seem to have plenty on twitter. When people copy players in to abusive tweets it's embarrassing. I couldn't imagine half these halfwits saying it to the player's face.

I'm sure all other clubs are the same.

I'm sure they are which is why clubs should really encourage players to steer clear of it. The personal abuse dished out is often vile
  • Options
    He is a big guy and part of his job is to hold-up the ball and win headers.
    There are doubters because he has not been as effective at this as he was when NI looked like qualifying for the WC.

Let your football do the talking, challenge for every header as best you can, if you have your back to goal then look for a lay-off to the runner going past you - don't play it back into the centre circle.

It's not rocket science.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

A decent player who doesn't deserve to get knocked by our fans. If I was a player I would steer well clear of social media to avoid all the keyboard warriors.

It's his job to score goals, when he doesn't fans are entitled to get frustrated.
    If he puts himself out there on Twitter, then expect fans to air their frustration. Twitter exists as a communication platform.

It's great Josh has started scoring again and I hope he continues to silence his critics.
  • Options
    I think he is a good striker for this level and if we ever made the Champioship I'd happily keep him in the squad even if he isn't first choice.
  • Options

PopIcon said:

A decent player who doesn't deserve to get knocked by our fans. If I was a player I would steer well clear of social media to avoid all the keyboard warriors.

It's his job to score goals, when he doesn't fans are entitled to get frustrated.
    If he puts himself out there on Twitter, then expect fans to air their frustration. Twitter exists as a communication platform.

It's great Josh has started scoring again and I hope he continues to silence his critics.
    Fans "air their frustrations" regardless of whether the player puts himself out there. Anywhere.

They do it on here. It's been a long time since I read so much gormless bollocks written about a player on here as I have read about Josh Magennis.

The difference is fans can communicate directly with players and they are entitled to.

I don't condone insulting our own players, but if you are on Twitter then expect it.

I'm not sure how much Charlton you have watched this season Prague, but Josh hasn't been great. He has missed some absolute sitters and his heading hasn't always been great.

His form has clearly improved over the last few weeks and I hope he can give us a boost that helps us push on to better things.
  • Options
    Josh Magennis has explained why he deleted his Twitter account.

The Charlton striker was on the receiving end of online abuse from some Addicks fans during his 14-game goal drought earlier this season.

Magennis, who scored his third goal in four games against MK Dons on Saturday, told News Shopper: “There are so many things that you can see on Twitter without it affecting you.

“My mum always said ‘if you don't want to see it, don't look at it’. So the easiest thing for me was just to come off and leave it for a while.

“I’ll probably end up going back on it in a couple of months. I just don't need to keep seeing it all, I’ve got my Instagram and that’s all I need.
  • Options
    I could be wrong here as I do not have the stats but I feel Charlton win games when Josh scores goals.

I personally don't believe it is a coincidence that our run of poor form in the middle of the season happened when Josh was not scoring.

Strikers should be scoring you goals, and in my mind it's always a warning sign when you have to argue their worth in the team is because of other attributes over this.

• Options
    PopIcon said:

Twitter is a communication platform used by a lot of morons who can only communicate via abuse. If fans air their frustration by hurling abuse at players then it's probably best the players stay off.

• Options
    edited February 2018
    It's like a double edge sword when Magennis isn't scoring. Because what he does for us defensively is invaluable. As an example, I'm pretty sure 90% of headed clearances from corners in our half is from Josh. It's just gutting when he's not scoring, but lets hope he can keep up this current form coming into the last stretch of the season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2018
    i think as a club we are guilty of getting slightly carried away, we beat mk dons away and imo we didn't school them, they are 22nd in the league for a reason that they haven't won many games, jm is a lovely guy but as a lone striker for much of the season he should have a few more to his name. hopefully hes found his scoring streak and we can push on. we've looked good last few games but will be a lot tougher tests to come than mk dons away.

edit; i'm not just having a go at josh as a team i think we have under performed in quite a few games, serious lapse of concentration in the last 10 mins of the game has cost us a lot of points.
  • Options
    Fair Play big man! Seems a nice bloke and one of those people, not just cause he plays for Charlton, that you want him to do well.

Never a 20 goal a season striker but it wouldn't hurt to have a senior striker pushing him to be the best!
  • Options

Fair Play big man! Seems a nice bloke and one of those people, not just cause he plays for Charlton, that you want him to do well.

Never a 20 goal a season striker but it wouldn't hurt to have a senior striker pushing him to be the best!

Play a decent striker alongside him and you might find he will get close to 20, not because of the competition but because his skill set best suits 4-4-2.

• Options

Play a decent striker alongside him and you might find he will get close to 20, not because of the competition but because his skill set best suits 4-4-2.

I thought he looked good with Billy Clarke just behind as he’s a genuine number 10.
  • Options

He's also potentially a great provider, but we need attacking midfielders who bust a gut to get into the box as he can produce some great crosses from the left but with nobody arriving in the box to attack them
  • Options
    dizzee said:

I think he is a good striker for this level and if we ever made the Champioship I'd happily keep him in the squad even if he isn't first choice.

Agreed.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

No one's saying there shouldn't be communication. It's the abuse that was unpleasant and unnecessary.
  • Options

I like Josh, but he hasn't got the finishing ability to score 20 a season. I know BWP scored 20+ of mainly tap ins, but they're totally different types of striker.
  • Options
    I think for all our skilful players we create very few tap ins. Plenty of hopeful crosses. Perhaps a player like Billy Clarke might create a few when in form. But generally our final pass is often lacking.
  • Options
    Bloody hell, I’m becoming a knocker!