Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Grand National 2018 Thread

Comments

• Options

Croydon said:

Does anyone know if any bookies are paying 6 places e/w this early out? With money back if a non runner if poss...My usual BetVictor are only paying 5 this year

Paddy Power are going 6 places but I don't believe that they are NRNB - best with NRNB are Bet 365 and Skybet who are 5 places. Bet 365 are also best odds guaranteed too.
    Class outfit that bet365!!
  • Options
    How can anyone offer best odds guaranteed on an ante post bet?
  • Options
    len90 said:

How can anyone offer best odds guaranteed on an ante post bet?

Price compared to SP - and it's NRNB.
  • Options
    Are you sure about that Bob? Everything will be a better price now than SP
  • Options
    len90 said:

With an ultimate field of 40 there's enough "meat on the bone" for them to do that and the extra volume of business for offering these terms will outweigh their lower margins.
  • Options
    len90 said:

Yes - it can only be compared to SP. Ante-post is excluded from BOG but as it is now NRNB it is considered an early price race, not ante-post.

It is entirely possible that backing a horse now could see it return at bigger odds - and that’s the guarantee. There will be price movers both ways.

• Options
    edited February 2018

len90 said:

With an ultimate field of 40 there's enough "meat on the bone" for them to do that and the extra volume of business for offering these terms will outweigh their lower margins.
    bobmunro said:

len90 said:

Yes - it can only be compared to SP. Ante-post is excluded from BOG but as it is now NRNB it is considered an early price race, not ante-post.

It is entirely possible that backing a horse now could see it return at bigger odds - and that’s the guarantee. There will be price movers both ways.

@Addick Addict and @bobmunro. A slightly different, more specific question.
    It is the case (is it not?) that an ante post bet on a horse that is declared for the GN but misses the cut (I.e is "balloted out") is void (stake returned)?
    Mulling over one down the weights that is a definitely intended runner but may or may not make the cut and Bet365 and SkyBet (currently the only NRNB) are both being real meanies compared to some others.
  • Options
    edited February 2018

len90 said:

bobmunro said:

len90 said:

It is the case (is it not?) that an ante post bet on a horse that is declared for the GN but misses the cut (I.e is "balloted out") is void (stake returned)?
    Mulling over one down the weights that is a definitely intended runner but may or may not make the cut and Bet365 and SkyBet (currently the only NRNB) are both being real meanies compared to some others.
    Most if not all bookmakers would return stakes on horses compulsorily withdrawn under Jockey Club Rule 121 i.e. where safety of jockeys and horses limits the size of a field - which of course applies to the GN.

So yes, as long as it was still declared at the overnight/final decs stage (12 April) and is then for safety reasons compulsorily withdrawn you would get the stake back. This clearly doesn’t give as much cover as NRNB as stakes on scratchings at either of the two formal scratching stages or at the five day decs stage would be lost.

• Options
    edited February 2018
    bobmunro said:

len90 said:

bobmunro said:

len90 said:

Most if not all bookmakers would return stakes on horses compulsorily withdrawn under Jockey Club Rule 121 i.e. where safety of jockeys and horses limits the size of a field - which of course applies to the GN.

So yes, as long as it was still declared at the overnight/final decs stage (12 April) and is then for safety reasons compulsorily withdrawn you would get the stake back. This clearly doesn’t give as much cover as NRNB as stakes on scratchings at either of the two formal scratching stages or at the five day decs stage would be lost.

Indeed. Happy to take that chance on fitness and connections' intentions, assuming I conclude this is my final selection (and there's still a meaningful extra over the NRNB odds)..
    Thanks Bob, much appreciated.
  • Options
    Number 93 Knock House
    We bid a three figure fee for this horse at auction in 2016 with Anthony Honeyball planning a crack at the Cheltenham Festival 2017 and then a crack at the 2018 Grand National.Luckily we was outbid because his form since the 2016 Cheltenham Festival has been shocking
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2018
    The Grand National Trial this afternoon at Haydock should be a fascinating race (good preview in the RP). 7 of the 8 runners entered for the GN and last year's 4th, 5th and 6th at Aintree had all run well in the preceding GNT (respectively 2nd, creditable 5th and winner in the GNT).
    Fascinating race yes but "GN Trial", maybe not.
    Firstly, last year apart, while many have used it as a prep for the GN over the years, Neptune Collonges in 2012 was the last, and the first since Party Politics in 1992, to go on from a strong run at Haydock (close 2nd) to bag the spoils in the real thing (somewhat fortunately, I still contend). Since 2012, only Niki Dee in 2000 made the frame in both.
    The historic lack of correlation is hardly a surprise really because the GNT is typically run (as today) on testing ground. Last year the going at Haydock was better than usual (GS), as it was back in 1992. Having said that, it would ridiculous to say that Blakion isn't a strong contender for both, regardless.
    More to the point, despite all 7 today having serious staying credentials, only 2 are sure to make the cut for the GN (Blakion and The Dutchman - the latter only because he was raised 13lbs for his fine win last time out in the Peter Marsh).
    Consider this about those potentially missing out from a chance to run in the GN - Three Faces West, Wild West Wind and Silsol (all OR144), Sir Mangan and, 2017 Eider Chase winner, Mysteree (both OR138 and effectively certain to miss the cut for Aintree at #86 and 87 in the weights).
    It translates (via Official Ratings of 144 or less) to every single GN winner from 1999 to 2008 (that's Bobbyjo, Papillon, Bindaree, Montys Pass, Amberleigh House, Hedgehunter, Numbersixvalverde, Silver Birch and Comply Or Die) as well as Auroras Encore (2013) and Pineau De Re (2014) not being able to take part in the GN.
    Add to that list a host of worthy stayers that nearly won it and even perennial frame-makers Clan Royal (both times, 2004 and 2006), State Of Play (at least in 2011), Alvarado (both times, 2014 and 2015) and Saint Are (at least in 2015).
    Cheers Phil - you've succeeded over the years in encouraging an increasing contingent of runners that may be higher-rated but have about as much chance of winning the GN as did the old Duke of Alburquerque - one for the oldies there. :smile:
  • Options
    I've backed Abolitionist, Cause of Causes and Seeyouatmidnight e/w on Bet 365.
    Thanks for your time & effort Peanuts, these threads are great fun.
  • Options
    edited February 2018

I've backed Abolitionist, Cause of Causes and Seeyouatmidnight e/w on Bet 365.
    Thanks for your time & effort Peanuts, these threads are great fun.

Cheers Chief, you're very kind and I'm glad you enjoy them - many others contribute a lot of shrewd tips and wisdom.
    Still revamping my model - now with 5 years of data (post the changes in 2013) but still too small a sample really. So, a bit of a combo of basic big stats to draw up a long list and then using the old olfactory organ (aka my nose). Could well be a 4th to add.
    Fingers crossed.

PS If you get a chance, take in the Red Mills Chase at 2pm at Gowran Park, free on ATR (for the last time!). Our Duke (winner of the Irish Nat ahead of Abolitionist) takes on some familiar rivals but also the talented Presenting Percy. Too short a trip for both but an interesting contest nonetheless, ahead of the Festival.
    Our Duke's form, particularly if he goes well today and especially in the GC, could draw a lot of attention to Abolitionist. He hasn't run that well this season so far but that was still a quality Irish National last April.
  • Options
    I will do.
  • Options
    Our Duke wins (just from Presenting Percy), after smashing a fence a few from home.
  • Options

Our Duke wins (just from Presenting Percy), after smashing a fence a few from home.

Great finish wasn't it. A touch of the Denman's about Our Duke - a bloody tank.
  • Options
    Regal Encore into 33s after that win.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    What a bizarre race, the GNT.
    The only one not entered in the GN wins.
    The Dutchman pulls up (seemingly something amiss), Wild West Wind hits a wall when leading half way up the home straight and can't go on. Three Faces West crashes out. Sir Mangan PU down the back straight.
    Carnage but that's "Haydock heavy" for you.
    Blaklion a legless, remote 2nd and only other finisher (sorry, Mysteree comes home a mile behind in 3rd).
    Gamble of the the race (Silsol) unseats Fehily at the 1st, having run very creditably in the Welsh Nat under Bryony Frost.
    Give Noel some lessons Bryony :wink:
  • Options
    edited February 2018

Nice one, Alan. Good win. He seems to get on well with McLernon.
  • Options

Nice one, Alan. Good win. He seems to get on well with McLernon.
    Geraghty rode him in Punchestown some while ago, finishing a half length second but having rode about 2 miles further than he had to around the outside.
    Since then, McClernon has certainly formed a decent partnership with him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    After that trial i have crossed Blaklion off my list.
  • Options
    len90 said:

After that trial i have crossed Blaklion off my list.

He didn't impress.
  • Options
    When do the NRNB offers hit the shops as opposed to online?
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    BTW, if you're confident that it's going to be decent ground, you could do a whole lot worse than SAINT ARE 50/1 NRNB.
    I can't believe he is being ignored by the market for the second year running.
    Nothing was finishing faster than him last year, when he was 8.25L 3rd. We know it was no fluke since he was a 2L 2nd to Many Clouds in the 2015 GN and was also a close 3rd in the 2014 Becher Chase. The only 2 obviously poor runs over the course have come on Soft ground (though he also had a soft fall at the first in the 2016 Becher). His 9th in the 2013 GN may not look much but he was only a 7 y-o at the time and he was looked after.
    The race is famous over the years for seeing repeat strong runs by Aintree stalwarts: The Pilgarlic (4 times 3rd~5th, 1977~1980) and State Of Play (3 times 3rd~4th, 2009-11) to name the most renowned.
    Still only 12 years old, he's been allotted 10.06 (carried 10.10 last year). Relative weights-wise, he'll be 3lbs better off for finishing 4L behind Cause Of Causes last time so more or less "level" but CoC is 20/1.
    Will likely have the same prep this Wednesday at Donny (3m veterans' chase) that he ran well in last year.
    Cause Of Causes just scores a little higher in my reckoning and both would want decent ground, so Saint Are stays on my subs' bench in case I'm re-investing a returned stake nearer the day -
    Saint Are if it looks like decent ground; Raz De Maree (possibly Baie Des Iles, despite being only 7y-o) if it's raining!!
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

When do the NRNB offers hit the shops as opposed to online?

Must confess I haven't a clue Chief. Apologies.
  • Options
    I've backed Final Nudge e/w with Ladbrokes. I had a problem with my a/c but backed at 66/1 in the end.
    I'm not sure what happened but then got a price boost so backed it again at 80/1. Cheers Peanuts.
  • Options
    edited February 2018

I've backed Final Nudge e/w with Ladbrokes. I had a problem with my a/c but backed at 66/1 in the end.
    I'm not sure what happened but then got a price boost so backed it again at 80/1. Cheers Peanuts.

Nice one Chief. Getting into Mon Mome territory :smiley:
    Fingers crossed he gets a crack at it.
  • Options
    Peanuts.. Any idea if number 68 would have made the cut in the last few years?
  • Options
    What a delightful thread. No ridiculous forecasts (or tricasts), no back-biting, sarcasm or posting off topic :)