Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The *Bite Size* Takeover Thread

edited February 2018 in General Charlton
You moaned, we listened.

A number have complained that they would rather not wade through the almighty tosh on The Takeover Thread that provides the fat filling from one thin slice of information to the next.

So our mods will run a Bite Size thread for those that just want to cherry picks the latest news and rumours.

We'll start with an update provided by our January Calendar boy, and everyone's favourite poster @Henry Irving

2nd Feb

Richard Murray spoke to staff members in the days before the Walsall game and told them that there is a "preferred bidder" and the takeover may come in February. The term "Preferred bidder" wasn't explained and could be someone has exclusive legal rights to take a deal forward or just someone Roland (or Murray) would rather buy the club.

RM then meet with the Supporters' Trust/CARD on the day of the Walsall game and told them that two parties had completed due dilligence but one was ahead of the other. RM didn't use the term "preferred bidder to CAST/CARD.

Still no confirmation on who these parties are although strongest rumours suggest that they could include:

An bid including Australian Andrew Muir (which is not the same as the AFC consortium who were mentioned back in April 2017 when this thread started)

A bid fronted by Donald Muir (no relation) and Alex McLeish, who's backers are unknown but some suggest they are South African and others British.

@redhenry has said there were four interested parties but this week cut this to three. We don't know who these parties are.

@Airman Brown appears to have some new information but you may have to buy VOTV tomorrow to find out (or read a version on here). His mood some optimistic and he hinted on twitter that it is the Australians who are ahead at the moment.

Richard Murray spoke to staff again this week, this time at the training ground. The SLP reported that he told staff that there "COULD BE" a deal in February but that timescales could shift.

@nth london addick states that no formal offer or offers have been made.

There is absolutely no, repeat NO, evidence that Red Bull are involved.

The transfer window saw no sale of Konsa but also no purchase of any new players. Three players joined on loan. This can, and has, been interpreted as meaning both that a sale is close and that a sale is a long way off. Robinson confirmed that Duchatelet had final sign off on deals on deadline days and rejected bids for Magennis and possibly Fosu and Konsa.


Comments

  • Sale price rumoured to be £45m, although unsure at this stage how much is upfront and tied to long term performance of club
  • Sponsored links:


  • thanks to @Henry Irving for the two following summaries

    11 June 2018

    Since @JamesSeed told us that potential buyer Andrew Muir was flying back to Oz two week ago there has been much speculation over the progress of the EFL fit and proper test, much of it contradictory.

    @addickted said it had been returned but with "two qualifications" although it wasn't clear if these were major or minor issues.

    Others, including @Redhenry, said they had heard the test has been failed.

    @Airman Brown hinted that there might be some sort of news on Friday 8th June, the day before the club's 113th anniversary but that didn't happen. However the good Airman was upbeat and advised Addicks to "don't panic" The use of the Dad's Army image, rather than a Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy towel was culturally significant but in no way related to any takeover.

    With the Aussies predicted two week return happening at weekend just gone (8/9th June) @JamesSeed was able to make fresh contact with his buddy in the consortium. Jim then told us

    "I messaged my contact about rumours that the EFL had somehow blocked the sale, but he said they are 'absolutely not true. We are working through the process and are hoping to be in a position to make an announcement later this week.'"

    On Monday 11 June Richard Cawley from the South London Spanner tweeted almost the same information regarding a hoped for deal this week but was understandably cautious "#cafc takeover update. It is hoped - and I must emphasise that word - that the takeover will happen this week. But, but, but - there are variables that mean this is not definite."

    RC said that RD wants to sell and the Aussie want to buy so the reason for the delay remains unclear. His tweets here

    Reports of a overweight Italian lady warming up her vocal chords in Floyd Road have yet to be confirmed
  • Sponsored links:


  • 18.09.18

    Charlton issued the following statement on their Official site yesterday:

    Charlton Athletic owner Roland Duchatelet will meet EFL representatives next month.

    The EFL requested a meeting to gain a full understanding of the current situation that surrounds the club.

    Duchatelet will be joined by Lieven de Turck who is representing the club in takeover talks.

    Selling the club remains Duchatelet’s number one priority.

    As referenced at two recent Fans’ Forum meetings (August and July) an Australian consortium have a deal agreed and just need to submit final papers to the EFL. The club doesn’t know when the final documents will be lodged and de Turck remains in regular contact with representatives of the consortium. As previously referenced a price is also agreed with the second party that have completed due diligence. It should be noted that the lack of progress in any change of control at the club is not as a result of the parties waiting for the EFL to process the necessary documentation.

    In addition to the aforementioned groups, other parties have shown interest and de Turck is managing any negotiations.
  • 01.07.19

    From the pen of Mr @Henry Irving

    De Turck said at the Fans Forum before last that the then three interested parties (British - Dalman maybe or perhaps not,  Aussie/Indian/US and "international - perhaps Dalman again or maybe Chinese) were all "eager" to get the deal done by the end of June, which is the end of the financial year for CAFC and nearly all clubs.

    We are still waiting on the full minutes, which should include De Turck's responses to the questions about the takeover, from the FF meeting last week.  Some previous attendees have issued their own notes, just saying.

    30 June is also the end point of most player contracts and close to when players return to training.

    From this SOME people started saying that the deal would be done on 1 July or that it was done and would be announced on 1 July but none of those rumours came from the club or the potential buyers.

    There was speculation that Mehmet Dalman (investment banker, car salesman and Cardiff Chairman) was close to a deal, mainly from the Welsh media but he was none committal. He didn't deny he was interested in Charlton either.

    According to Airman Brown "Dalman is the party reported by the Evening Standard in March to have offered RD £30m on a take it or leave it basis. His issue now MAY be about transparency rather than price, that is he may want more assurance about potentially hidden liabilities than RD/LDT have been willing or able to provide."

    Prague Addick said that he heard that a new (ie 4th party) had expressed interest since Wembley and was from "his neck of the woods" ie middle Europe but country unspecified.

    Prague Addick also said that this 4th middle European party had been told that other buyer/s (not named) had been given until 2 July to agree a takeover otherwise the new party would be allowed a make a quick run at it.

    So if we accept this to be correct (and I'm not doubting Prague but Duchatelet is a proven liar and irrational) then it is POSSIBLE that a deal could be done today or tomorrow although there is no guarantee that it would be announced officially.  

    It is also POSSIBLE that no deal is reached with an existing party by 2 July and so the 4th Middle European buyer will have a chance to make a quick purchase in which case we are unlikely to hear anything for a few weeks.

    At various points Dalman has been reported to have "walked" although the sources haven't been very reliable.

    The Aussies have also been said to have walked at various points but again sources have been unreliable. Jimmy Seed says the Aussies have not walked presumably as this is what his contact Gerald Murphy (broker for the Aussie/Indian/US group) is telling him.

    I heard that at the time of the Bowyer will he/won't he stay fiasco the club checked with at least one potential owner that they were happy to take on the liability of Bowyer's new deal, which they were.

    We don't know who, other than Andrew Muir, is backing the Aussie/Indian/US group.

    We don't know who the British group is although there is an assumption that it is Dalman. We don't know who else would be financing the deal with him.

    The museum did say they were showing some Aussies around the ground on 2 July which is a fact but completely unrelated to the takeover.  We're open 11.00 to 2.30 and it's free entry. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out!