Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

PAUL DAVIES

Those of us of a certain age will remember Welshman Paul Davies who played for a couple of years 1972-74 . He picked up an injury and had to retire at 23. Does anyone remember details about the injury and what happened to him after football. I think he was a black cab driver for a time

Comments

• Options
    Did he not end up playing for Arsenal?
  • Options
    No, we got him from Arsenal.
  • Options
    He was sold to Charlton Athletic for £10,000 in November 1972 after a loan spell.[3] He stayed with Charlton for two years, making a total of 67 appearances. In March 1975, he moved to Romford where injury ended his career.

Following retirement from football he became a London black cab driver, and lives in Hatfield, Hertfordshire.
  • Options

I remember him as having a decent 1st touch and neat passing ability but a bit one-paced, and lightweight for a tall lad.
    Didn't seem to able to really impose himself on games.

I remember being up at York and watching us win 1-0 in a backs to the wall victory against promotion contenders.
    Paul Davies scored our goal.

• Options
    edited February 2018
    Brother of Ron Davies. Tall, skinny, long hair, had a touch of class, but a little one paced. Seem to remember that he was involved in a stabbing incident, either whilst still with us, or shortly after leaving.
  • Options
    Wasn't it Mike Kelly who was involved in a stabbing incident in 74 or 75?
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

You may well be correct Pedro!
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

Does anyone know what happened to him? Remember him scoring a goal for us, pretty sure he was a Stonewall supporter and was part of a rival gang (I use that word in its looses sense ) to the one I hung around with.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Definitely Mike Kelly in the stabbing incident, not Paul Davies.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I remember Mike Kelly scoring for us against Brighton at the Goldstone. Conditions were atrocious that day, deep puddles all over the pitch, wouldn't have been played nowadays.

He didn't stay long but scored a few from midfield.
  • Options

I remember Mike Kelly scoring for us against Brighton at the Goldstone. Conditions were atrocious that day, deep puddles all over the pitch, wouldn't have been played nowadays.

According to wiki
    He scored 3 in 10
  • Options
    Paul Davies was a bit of a lightweight and not of the same stamp as his brother, Ron.

I played football against Micky Kelly in the Kent Suburban League - he would have been in his mid 30s and I believe that he was playing for a team called Canada Dry but that might be all a figment of my imagination!
  • Options

Big well built lad that we signed from Southern League Bexley United.

Strong in the tackle and an aerial presence in midfield, a little slow and ponderous but didn't easily lose possession, could pick a good long range pass - and not afraid to shoot powerfully from distance.

He did a decent job and made up for the lack of physical presence in our midfield.
    But I guess getting into trouble finished his career at Charlton.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Strong in the tackle and an aerial presence in midfield, a little slow and ponderous but didn't easily lose possession, could pick a good long range pass - and not afraid to shoot powerfully from distance.

He did a decent job and made up for the lack of physical presence in our midfield.

That's a pretty good assessment of Kelly as I remember, but I think we signed him from Millwall
  • Options
    Mike Kelly was signed from Millwall on a free transfer,his contract was terminated by Charlton,he then joined Bexley United a few months later.
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

That's a pretty good assessment of Kelly as I remember, but I think we signed him from Millwall
    This be Kelly

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Kelly_(footballer,_born_1954)
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Oggy Red said:

When I knew him in our teens he was a complete nut job! In fact I’ll go a bit further and say he was a complete cunt!