Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton & lack of protection of football heritage - Spanish article

I spoke a short while ago with a Spanish journalist on behalf of the Trust. He also attended the Oxford match (poor thing).

Here is his original article on the largest Spanish language website in the world re English football (500k unique annual visitors):

lamediainglesa.com/articulo/el-charlton-athletic-y-la-desproteccion-del-patrimonio-futbolistico

For those like me who don't understand Spanish, here's a rough translation courtesy of Google and a bit of my own tidying up (NB, for pedants, I'm not Secretary of the Trust, just a humble board member). BTW, anyone on here own up to being Ted or Jeremy?

Charlton Athletic and the lack of protection of football heritage

The historic club in southeast London is currently experiencing the worst times in its history. However, the possible departure of the current owner of the team makes fans begin to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

By Juan Corellano | 02/05/2018 CHARLTON ATHLETIC LEAGUE ONE

It's Saturday, match day in The Valley. In a busy neighbourhood, Ted and Jeremy, dressed in the red and white characteristic of Charlton Athletic, rush a cigarette five minutes before the game against Oxford United begins. They are lifelong fans, however, this is an occasional visit, because a while ago they stopped being regulars at the stadium. "I used to be a Charlton season ticket holder but I am no longer one due to our glorious leader (owner Roland Duchâtelet). No doubt the club is experiencing the worst period of its history, the actions of its current owner do nothing but harm the team" says Jeremy. Like him, there are many who have been forced to abandon the team they love, not because of their results but as a protest against who runs it. In spite of everything, today they are again on the threshold, because a victory could mean entering playoff positions and, in addition, the departure of the owner that forced them to leave their stadium seems closer than ever. "We have been told that the sale is going to take place in February, so I hope so and it leaves us the football world and everything that surrounds it," says Ted.
In the end Charlton lose to a goal in the last minute, after leading 2-1 in the 80th minute, and the possibility of settling in a playoff positions vanishes. A cruel outcome that silenced more than 10,000 Addicks who, regardless of the rain, had filled The Valley with chants trying to push their team to the exit of the third division. However, the general feeling after the final whistle is not anger but resignation. "Better times will come", resonates in the minds of many. It is a worrying fact that five of the last ten seasons in League One for the team has resulted in acceptance of the hopeless situation facing the club. Especially if you consider that Charlton Athletic is not just anybody, but a true and proper member of the history of English football.

Charlton, from the humble background that characterizes southeast London, has to its credit an F.A. Cup victory. And, just 15 years ago, in the 2003/04 season, finished seventh in the Premier League, even sitting in a Champions League place for much of the season. The drift of the club began after the departure of Alan Curbishley, technician who provided great stability to his management in the dugout for 15 years, stability that was lost with his departure. That very season, in 2006/07, the team was relegated to the second division. A bad year to do so, because an increase in the economic distribution in the Premier League multiplied the difficulty of a possible return, already complicated by the economic problems facing the club. The turbulence for the Addicks continued, as two seasons later they suffered another relegation, this time to the third division. However, shortly thereafter, Charlton fans regained happiness for a while with the arrival of Chris Powell, a much-loved figure, not only for having nutmegged Pep Guardiola, currently the top Premier League manager, in his time as a player, but for being a former Charlton player and ex-pupil of Curbishley. Under Powell, the team returned to the Championship and by the 2013/14 season was stabilized in the second division. However, when everything pointed to the recovery of the club, Charlton's fate was about to change again.

In January 2014 Roland Duchâtelet became the new owner of the club. The initial hope provoked by the fact that this arrival could be an end to the club's economic problems soon dissipated. Just a couple of weeks after his arrival, several important players of the first team were sold, as well as the appointment of his right-hand woman, Katrien Meire, as CEO of the team. At the age of 29 years, albeit with a degree as a lawyer, she had no experience in sports management. In the following seasons there was a great turnover in both playing and coaching staff, including the arrival of players and coaches from the Belgian lower divisions, Duchâtelet's place of origin where he has also owned several teams, many with no experience in English football. All this truncated the upward trajectory that the team had until then and finally caused a new relegation to League One in 2015/16.

Cont'd...

Comments

• Options
    Wild guess at Ted Hanky and Jeremy Corbyn, but that is a wild guess
  • Options
    The journalists name is as close as you’ll get to ‘One Cornetto’
  • Options
    Fantastic article.....well done Juan and thanks a million!
  • Options
    Excellent article. Could say a bit more about Meire's part in alienating the fans, but well written piece.
  • Options
    Who was the anonymous Addick you stole that from Weegie?

Good piece.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

Who was the anonymous Addick you stole that from Weegie?

Good piece.

Another Heather - I have confessed! Did try to explain that to the journo but didn't quite get through.
  • Options
    Well done @Weegie Addick :smiley: