Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Phil Neville England Women's new coach

123457»

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2018
    Bosnia v England World Cup Qualifier is about to start on BBC red button
    Kick off is at 3
    We go top with a draw or victory

Current standings

Wales 11 points scored 3 conceded 0 after 5 games
    England 10 points scored 15 conceded 0 after 4 games
    Russia 7 points scored 9 conceded 7 after 4 games
    Bosnia 3 points scored 3 conceded 11 after 4 games
    Kazakhstan 0 points 0 scored 12 conceded after 5 games
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Wales goals scored can’t be correct surely if they have 11 points?

EDIT .....it can if your maths is better than mine :smiley:
  • Options
    edited April 2018

Wales goals scored can’t be correct surely if they have 11 points?

3 1-0 wins
    2 0-0 draws

Just checked
    Beat Kazakhstan 1-0 twice
    Beat Bosnia 1-0 once
    Drew 0-0 to us and Russia
  • Options
    Almost as dull as England men’s team
  • Options
    Watching this, and if we take away the relative merits of women's football, it's still a poor performance (as was the one against Wales). England are clearly a better team, but they play at such a pedestrian pace that they never pull those opposition out of their shape, never stretch them defensively, and therefore don't create clear cut chances. It's poor from management and it's poor from the players who need to show a lot more urgency. The striker plays for Barcelona for god's sake, she must be a decent footballer.
  • Options

Watching this, and if we take away the relative merits of women's football, it's still a poor performance (as was the one against Wales). England are clearly a better team, but they play at such a pedestrian pace that they never pull those opposition out of their shape, never stretch them defensively, and therefore don't create clear cut chances. It's poor from management and it's poor from the players who need to show a lot more urgency. The striker plays for Barcelona for god's sake, she must be a decent footballer.

Three points away and all that but England are a side full of really good players. This is all starting to feel a bit McClaren. I know there is renewed focus on this team because of Neville's appointment, but they made it to thr among finals in both the last World Cup and the last Euros. And that's no mean feet.

That 4-1 (I think it was) against France looks very much like the outlier. It is worth noting that France played a largely young team, and then made eight changes for their next game against the US. I thought against the US England looked very ponderous, as you say, and what their game plan was wasn't clear at times. I know the US are the big name in women's football, but they were a side with a makeshift defense, mediocre midfield, and a lot of players injured.

Fortunately it looks like England are still on to make the World Cup, but thus far under Neville they've underperformed.
  • Options
    The odd time they've got beyond the full backs and put crosses in they've looked quite good, Unfortunately, apart from the goal, they've squandered every decent cross with poor headers, control or decision making.
  • Options
    For those interested but unaware

England v Russia in a World Cup Qualifier on BBC Red Button kick off at 5

• Options
    2nd half just starting currently 3-1 England
  • Options
    Won 3-1
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I still think that other than fitness, the women’s team are on a par with me and my mates and we are late 40’s
  • Options
    Womens football reality check.A crowd of about 174 currently watching the czech republic v england international match on 12/11/2019 a few days after a full house at wembley.
  • Options
    86th minute winner may have kept Neville in a job.

Had that game finished 2-2 it would have been 1 win in the last 8 matches.

Even with that win its only 2 in 8 and thats not good enough
  • Options
    He will be replaced at the end of his contract with current Netherlands Womens manager

https://www.thefa.com/news/2020/aug/14/sarina-wiegman-appointed-england-womens-new-head-coach-140820
  • Options
    The problem for Neville seemed to be the lack of quality in depth. I believed the growth of the women's game in this country would mean some terrific young players coming in. I still think that is probable, but they didn't come in in time for Neville.

I also hope that the new manager creates a culture were average players are not bigged up. Of course they have to pick the best players available but England have too many that are not good enough and that has to be admitted first.