Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Southend vs Charlton: Post match views

12346»

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2017
    With one of the biggest budgets in the division, winning by the odd goal only to lose next week to a mediocre side isn't good enough. Possession in our half doesn't win games. 4-3-2-1 didn't work last year because we had wrong personnel for the system. He has them now but plays too many out of position. Can anybody name a match in the last 12 months where Robbo's system has worked? 6 decent CHs and the best wing back in L1 or CCC but has he ever tried 3 at the back? Can he be trusted with the dregs of inevitable Konsa money? No. He's been gone too long!
  • Options

With one of the biggest budgets in the division, winning by the odd goal only to lose next week to a mediocre side isn't good enough. Possession in our half doesn't win games. 4-3-2-1 didn't work last year because we had wrong personnel for the system. He has them now but plays too many out of position. Can anybody name a match in the last 12 months where Robbo's system has worked? 6 decent CHs and the best wing back in L1 or CCC but has he ever tried 3 at the back? Can he be trusted with the dregs of inevitable Konsa money? No. He's been gone too long!

Hear hear.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    He did try 442 Saturday, with Reeves not being effective at all, on the right hand side of midfield. We said in comms that they were having a field day, down our right hand side. We found ourselves 2-0 down through dreadful defending. Leonard was running the game in the middle, so we had to revert back to the 4231 to try and get a foothold, which we did, but sloppy defending gave away a third.

Yes our form has dipped, but imo it’s harsh to solely blame Robbo. I mean, if any other club in League 1 had 17 players missing (Ricky may miss Wigan), they would be up the creek without. A paddle. Yes our budget is more than say, an Oldham, but that still doesn’t change the fact, that the players injured have the quality we so desperately need. Look back at how we were playing with a fit squad, apart from say Page? The youngsters coming through is great, but with them you get errors, inconsistency, and unpredictable moments.

Imo, it’s very disappointing. But I’m not panicking yet. Gutted we are out the play offs, but there’s so many games to play for. Coyr
  • Options
    _nam11 said:

He did try 442 Saturday, with Reeves not being effective at all, on the right hand side of midfield. We said in comms that they were having a field day, down our right hand side. We found ourselves 2-0 down through dreadful defending. Leonard was running the game in the middle, so we had to revert back to the 4231 to try and get a foothold, which we did, but sloppy defending gave away a third.

Yes our form has dipped, but imo it’s harsh to solely blame Robbo. I mean, if any other club in League 1 had 17 players missing (Ricky may miss Wigan), they would be up the creek without. A paddle. Yes our budget is more than say, an Oldham, but that still doesn’t change the fact, that the players injured have the quality we so desperately need. Look back at how we were playing with a fit squad, apart from say Page? The youngsters coming through is great, but with them you get errors, inconsistency, and unpredictable moments.

Imo, it’s very disappointing. But I’m not panicking yet. Gutted we are out the play offs, but there’s so many games to play for. Coyr

You have to ask why there are so many injuries for starters - some are inevitable but players in clubs where morale is low take longer to recover and are more prone to opting out with niggles. It seems that so often when we struggle injuries are raised as an excuse. Yes, of course they impact, but every club has injuries. Clubs with tiny budgets will not have cover, but we do not have that excuse.
  • Options
    mogodon said:

_nam11 said:

You have to ask why there are so many injuries for starters - some are inevitable but players in clubs where morale is low take longer to recover and are more prone to opting out with niggles. It seems that so often when we struggle injuries are raised as an excuse. Yes, of course they impact, but every club has injuries. Clubs with tiny budgets will not have cover, but we do not have that excuse.
    In any set of statistics you'll get some anomalies, some extremes at both ends of the scale. It doesn't necessarily mean anyone is to blame, it can just be bad luck.
  • Options
    edited December 2017

Boxing Day 2004 - drew 0-0 at Soton (Jeffers on the bench)
    Boxing Day 2005 - lost 1-0 at home to Arsenal (Reyes), Murphy sent off.
    27th Dec 2006 - drew 2-2 home to Fulham (conceded last minute equaliser)
    Boxing Day 2007 - drew 1-1 away at Norwich (Sodje sent off, Zeng Z scored for us)
    Boxing Day 2008 - drew 2-2 at home to QPR (Bailey scored both)
    Boxing Day 2009 - drew 2-2 at home to Swindon (Sodje and Burton red cards, Llera 90th min equaliser)
    29th Dec 2010 - drew 1-1 at Brighton (Withdean), Jacko early pen. Seagulls down to 10 men on 7 minutes.
    Boxing Day 2011 - won 3-2 at Yeovil, Danny Hollands, some old French bloke, and 90th min winner from Danny Green.

Thanks Valiantphil.

I'd convinced myself that during my Charlton Life, we've always been shite on Boxing Day but this appears not to be so.

Prior to the Southend game, the last time we lost on Boxing Day was home to Arsenal in 2005? 11 games unbeaten.

Out of the 36 Boxing Days I've supported Charlton we've only been at home 14 times.

P36 W11 D12 L13; For 51 Against 63

In my first 12 Boxing Days, we lost 9 of them! So, it's been largely ok since 1994!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Annoying to see comments that we didn't sell out the away end of Southend. Imagine this may have been partly down to the idiotic way tickets were released and the fact most fans couldn't buy tickets until 2 weeks before the game as well as no communication from the club regarding ticket sales, in addition to the inevitable pain of no trains running meaning the only option for most fans is to drive up the M25 past Bluewater and Lakeside on Boxing Day. (And who's genius idea was the 1pm kick off?).

Hopefully the next regime overhauls the ticket site.

Fair play to the 1300-odd who made the journey, did well to sing for most of the 90 minutes despite the dross on the pitch (in contrast to the completely silent Shrimpers).
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Fiiish said:

Annoying to see comments that we didn't sell out the away end of Southend. Imagine this may have been partly down to the idiotic way tickets were released and the fact most fans couldn't buy tickets until 2 weeks before the game as well as no communication from the club regarding ticket sales, in addition to the inevitable pain of no trains running meaning the only option for most fans is to drive up the M25 past Bluewater and Lakeside on Boxing Day. (And who's genius idea was the 1pm kick off?).

Hopefully the next regime overhauls the ticket site.

Fair play to the 1300-odd who made the journey, did well to sing for most of the 90 minutes despite the dross on the pitch (in contrast to the completely silent Shrimpers).

I think it was a good effort, maybe due to trains. Definitely some due to the poor communication and lack of options of buying the tickets. Probably Southend's most attended game? but could barely hear them other then the one song, they were pathetic.
  • Options
    We are 13 points above the drop zone, reckon we need another 19 points get to about 55 points to avoid falling to Tier 4.