Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Fire at London Zoo

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2017
    *I've removed this post as it wasn't known at the time that four Meerkats had perished.

• Options
    edited December 2017
    Daddy_Pig said:

SDAddick said:

Just to add to the emotion, the BBC story now has a stock photo of an aardvark

Awwwwww :(. Hope he's ok. I too have a big nose and am kind of funny looking.

Also, obviously hope people are okay. I wrote the above before realizing it's not 3:45 in the morning over there and thus there would be people at the zoo.
    Hi Alan. How's West Brom treating you?
    LenGlover said:

SDAddick said:

Just to add to the emotion, the BBC story now has a stock photo of an aardvark

Awwwwww :(. Hope he's ok. I too have a big nose and am kind of funny looking.

Also, obviously hope people are okay. I wrote the above before realizing it's not 3:45 in the morning over there and thus there would be people at the zoo.
    Welcome to the forum Alan.

Hope all goes well at WBA....
    Lock up your missuses lads ;)

• Options

RIP Misha the aardvark. 4 meerkats missing too

Joking aside, really sad news.
  • Options
    Sad news, we fed the aardvark during a night tour when we stayed there last year.
  • Options
    I think it is very sad. The Zoo as an 'ark' to protect species, or get them back into the wild/natural habitat is an underdeveloped debate and ought not to be taken completely at face value. I think of birds who seem to need space and sky to thrive and fly and wonder why they are caged.
    It may be necessary to have Zoos, and I remember years ago being pleased to see such creatures up close, but realise I was gawping, not learning.
    I feel very sad that there may have have been animal fatalities, and very probably general distress too, and I hope those with knowledge and authority can respond in a positive way.
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

Modern, decent zoos are there for the animals as much as visitors. They are partnered with charities at home & abroad, teach the public about conservation and causes, raise money and in the best cases release endangered species back into the wild. They have expert care, spacious, natural enclosures and different enrichment each day to keep them interested and entertained.

The 'oh, all zoos are so evil' shtick is about 25 years out of date. Lots of kids' happiest memories as a child are going to zoos and seeing an elephant up close, perhaps a tiger swimming in its pool, or infant primates running around being silly.

Some of these then go on to work in conservation, or donate their time and/or money to their welfare. Too few people stand up for animals and it is really difficult raising funds and awareness compared to bigger, more 'important' charitable causes (ie human ones).

Today was horrible to read about. I guess it was an electrical problem, hopefully it was that rather than arson. I can guarantee you though, that the people working there are more heartbroken than anyone. They will be animal lovers as big as anyone you could meet, and will be there after years of volunteering and now earning very little.

Absolute nonsense I'm sorry. Just because it keeps children amused staring at animals where they don't belong it doesn't make it right at all.

I can also guarantee you those same 'animal lovers' will be stuffing their face with turkey and bacon a couple of days from now.
  • Options

RedPanda said:

Modern, decent zoos are there for the animals as much as visitors. They are partnered with charities at home & abroad, teach the public about conservation and causes, raise money and in the best cases release endangered species back into the wild. They have expert care, spacious, natural enclosures and different enrichment each day to keep them interested and entertained.

The 'oh, all zoos are so evil' shtick is about 25 years out of date. Lots of kids' happiest memories as a child are going to zoos and seeing an elephant up close, perhaps a tiger swimming in its pool, or infant primates running around being silly.

Some of these then go on to work in conservation, or donate their time and/or money to their welfare. Too few people stand up for animals and it is really difficult raising funds and awareness compared to bigger, more 'important' charitable causes (ie human ones).

Today was horrible to read about. I guess it was an electrical problem, hopefully it was that rather than arson. I can guarantee you though, that the people working there are more heartbroken than anyone. They will be animal lovers as big as anyone you could meet, and will be there after years of volunteering and now earning very little.

I can also guarantee you those same 'animal lovers' will be stuffing their face with turkey and bacon a couple of days from now.
    Yawn.

Try and hand feed the Lions with some Brussel Sprouts

• Options
    I strongly suspect the dragons will be first up for questioning.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Addickted said:

RedPanda said:

Yawn.

Try and hand feed the Lions with some Brussel Sprouts

I don't understand, are you basically saying that because a lion would eat me given the chance I should also eat a lion?
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    RedPanda said:

RedPanda said:

Absolute nonsense I'm sorry. Just because it keeps children amused staring at animals where they don't belong it doesn't make it right at all.

So when did you last visit one? My point was not that it amuses kids, it encourages many of them to go on and do some good in the world for often ignored causes. I've personally raised over £2000 for lorises, lemurs and sun bears. Why? Because my parents took me to Howletts as a child and that seeded something in me.

By later volunteering in a park and running a website for a while I've also told countless people about the perils of owning wild animals as pets, avoiding palm oil, conveyed just how f'd lemurs etc are. Zoos are brilliant for outreach and education, as well as fundraising.

And yes many will be eating meat tomorrow, just like many conservationists, professors, field researchers and rangers do. Towing the black and white veggie line rather than looking at this big grey area just makes you look misinformed and blinkered.
    I don't remember, probably when I was 3 and didn't know any better.

Believe me I am more than informed on the subject and understand how 'complicated' it is.

I'm guessing you are not a vegan then? If you are your views are quite contradictory, just like people who claim to be animal lovers but then decide to eat them as it's 'what we have always done'
  • Options
    edited December 2017

Believe me I am more than informed on the subject and understand how 'complicated' it is.

I'm guessing you are not a vegan then? If you are your views are quite contradictory, just like people who claim to be animal lovers but then decide to eat them as it's 'what we have always done'

And a lot has changed since you were 3. I don't believe you as rather than addressing my points, you prefer to repeat the 'I'm a vegetarian and so know better than everyone' line.

You obviously won't listen so I'll leave you with some happy zoo news for Christmas. This week Howletts in Kent sent 6 captive-born Javan Gibbons back to the wild: https://www.aspinallfoundation.org/gibbonsgowild/
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

And a lot has changed since you were 3. I don't believe you as rather than addressing my points, you prefer to repeat the 'I'm a vegetarian and so know better than everyone' line.

You obviously won't listen so I'll leave you with some happy zoo news for Christmas. This week Howletts in Kent sent 6 captive-born Javan Gibbons back to the wild: https://www.aspinallfoundation.org/gibbonsgowild/
    Yes I know it has, I'm a lot more understanding and know more about zoos than when I was 3.

I'm not a veggie, but yes me being Vegan at the very least makes me more compassionate towards animals. I'll be honest it's not really something I want to debate just before Christmas, I just didn't like that your original post isn't entirely accurate imo and some people will actually believe it is.

Just agree to disagree and leave it there. Merry Christmas mate genuinely, take care
  • Options
    Serious question

Do you think that all carnivores shouldn’t eat meat or just humans
  • Options

Serious question

Do you think that all carnivores shouldn’t eat meat or just humans

How any vegetarians own cats ..that are either fed meat or kill fk knows how many birds, squirrels etc ?