Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Apologies and Redirection

edited December 2017 in General Charlton
I picked Charlton as my club for very irrational reasons.

I lurked here for a year before creating a profile in order to scope the fan base out. I watched hours of videos on YouTube of fan forums discussing problems with ownership. No one does that in American football! I really wanted to do my research on which club to follow and I knew it was to be a club that was NOT in the PL. I wanted to be with a club that needed promotion. Being an American that picks a top 4 club takes no character.

I liked the pics I saw of The Valley. I liked the story of going back to The Valley. I like the crest. I like the old crest! I like the underdog nature of South London, even though I have never been to England. I liked the protest fans did (2 years ago?) at night I saw footage of, where everyone marched to the Valley and sang "get out of our club." I thought the name "Addick" was cool. I actually thought by mistake for a while it was "addict." Whoops. I actually liked the plans for the Sparrows redevelopment. I thought pics of The Valley reminded me of pics of Arsenal's old Highbury. I believe Arsenal lost its soul when they left that stadium and I liked that Charlton had not lost its soul. I liked Chris Powell's smile.

And I picked CAFC because I might have a bit of masochist in me. Still looking at that one close and I might need therapy.

I am going to take a little break from subjects on this board that are not CAFC related. And maybe I will focus on any good news between now and Jan 1, if we get some. I wanna end 2017 on a good note. I originally wanted to come here for fun and I think I need to regulate what I read and comment on if I plan to continue enjoying it here. I don't want to turn my Charltonlife into Facebook.

I will try to take responsibility for my own engagement. I will try to ask more questions and give less answers.

So for those I have annoyed, I apologize. I am going to try to re-pivot to what brought me here in the first place.

Long live The Valley.
Long live CAFC.
Roland out!

Comments

• Options
    Yeah but I wanna be more positive and less combative. Being a fan is brutal enough, itself. Thanks though, Ricky.
  • Options

I picked Charlton as my club for very irrational reasons.

I lurked here for a year before creating a profile in order to scope the fan base out. I watched hours of videos on YouTube of fan forums discussing problems with ownership. No one does that in American football! I really wanted to do my research on which club to follow and I knew it was to be a club that was NOT in the PL. I wanted to be with a club that needed promotion. Being an American that picks a top 4 club takes no character.

I liked the pics I saw of The Valley. I liked the story of going back to The Valley. I like the crest. I like the old crest! I like the underdog nature of South London, even though I have never been to England. I liked the protest fans did (2 years ago?) at night I saw footage of, where everyone marched to the Valley and sang "get out of our club." I thought the name "Addick" was cool. I actually thought by mistake for a while it was "addict." Whoops. I actually liked the plans for the Sparrows redevelopment. I thought pics of The Valley reminded me of pics of Arsenal's old Highbury. I believe Arsenal lost its soul when they left that stadium and I liked that Charlton had not lost its soul. I liked Chris Powell's smile.

And I picked CAFC because I might have a bit of masochist in me. Still looking at that one close and I might need therapy.

I am going to take a little break from subjects on this board that are not CAFC related. And maybe I will focus on any good news between now and Jan 1, if we get some. I wanna end 2017 on a good note. I originally wanted to come here for fun and I think I need to regulate what I read and comment on if I plan to continue enjoying it here. I don't want to turn my Charltonlife into Facebook.

I will try to take responsibility for my own engagement. I will try to ask more questions and give less answers.

So for those I have annoyed, I apologize. I am going to try to re-pivot to what brought me here in the first place.

Long live The Valley.
    Long live CAFC.
    Roland out!

You don’t need to - it’s a platform for people to post whatever they like.

Although you could have chosen a better club - like West Allotment Celtic or Sporting Bengal.
    Roger Johnsons club ? :smiley:
  • Options
    Don’t worry too much, the shits’n’giggles are more important than the football at present, but who’d have ever thought they may need to accuse an American of overthinking!?!?
  • Options
    Stig said:

Nice post Napa. There are no rules about following Charlton. Do it your way. Can't think what you need to apologise about though.

You must have me on block. ;-)
  • Options

So for those I have annoyed, I apologize.

Won't make many friends here with that spelling!! ;-)
    Its a zee Callum, come on we gotta make the guy feel welcome :smile:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Addickted said:

#letsgetnappatothevalley

I'll start the crowdfunding with the lucky quarter I had left over from a NYC trip in 2006, it's not worked out great for Charlton if I'm honest, he may as well put it towards his air fare.....
  • Options
    hey @NapaAddick dont worry mate, its a forum, you cant please all the people all the time, no need to apologize!!
  • Options

So for those I have annoyed, I apologize.

Won't make many friends here with that spelling!! ;-)
    Tomatoe or Tomato?
  • Options
    edited December 2017

hey @NapaAddick dont worry mate, its a forum, you cant please all the people all the time, no need to apologize!!

As above Naps 100%, you have never offended me. I come on here to chill and have a bit of fun, you will not find many serious posts from me, most end with a smiley face :smile:

As AFKA said don't take it too serious just enjoy, mind you a proper moderator will be along in a moment to point you in the right direction. :smile:

• Options
    edited December 2017
    Christ I know I get on people's goat but stuff "em, freedom of speech and all that, I'm amazed not to have been banned.

And as someone else said, it would be pretty boring if we all agreed with each other but of course like Henry, I'm always right;)
  • Options
    Agree with CatAddick, I've been brought up as a Charlton fan as I have done wirh my two boys. NapaAddick your post was a joy to read and reminds me why I am boycotting.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    @NapaAddick I enjoy reading your views on US Politics, I have only been following it for`a couple of years and you and @SDAddick and @limeygent shine different lights on what goes on. Be thankful you haven’t suppported this lot as long as some of us have on here otherwise you would be a wreck! P.S for all its faults right now you could not have picked a better club than CAFC.
  • Options
    You have picked the correct club to follow thats for sure. Trust me on this no other club gets close to Charlton with what has gone on over the 50years since i first stepped into The Valley.

As for having good back ground whats going on at our club that makes you SPECIAL.

This club is special and gets into you blood you will never lose that feeling.

As for having to agree with everyone and not upsetting people forget.You get out of this club what you put into it and thats what makes Charlton a way of life.

Welcome to this club,your comments are Always welcome.

We all need therapy.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @NapaAddick If you haven't been offensive to anyone, I can't see you have anything to apologise for. Your thoughts and therefore postings are you own and I'd rue the day we all thought and said the same thing. So whether I agree with you or not, your contributions are welcome and just as valid as anyone else's.
  • Options
    Nice post Naps.
    The force is strong in this one.
  • Options

I'm sorry, but how can you be a fan when you've never been to the stadium, or seen us play - how can you share the pain we are going through. You've never stood in the pouring rain at Yeovil, been held back at Millwall for half an hour, or seen us throw away a 3-0 lead in the cup at Shrewsbury. I just don't get why you want to follow a football club in the UK. You're views on players, formations, substitutions, the manager, the owner or any other facet of the club are not worth a jot. Go a support a NFL team, or watch the stupid US version they call football.........pansies with armpads. Pah !!

Make you right mate. I’d never claim to be a ‘fan’ of some NFL side because I’d done a bit of Wikipedia research on them on the net.

• Options
    edited December 2017

I'm sorry, but how can you be a fan when you've never been to the stadium, or seen us play - how can you share the pain we are going through. You've never stood in the pouring rain at Yeovil, been held back at Millwall for half an hour, or seen us throw away a 3-0 lead in the cup at Shrewsbury. I just don't get why you want to follow a football club in the UK. You're views on players, formations, substitutions, the manager, the owner or any other facet of the club are not worth a jot. Go a support a NFL team, or watch the stupid US version they call football.........pansies with armpads. Pah !!

Right on cue in comes golfie with his usual brand of narrow minded ignorance.