Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Pride of our Wonderful NHS

Comments

• Options
    Hope you're back on your feet soon.

My experience of health services abroad, be it their incompetence/poor facilities or their extortionate costs has shown me time and time again how fantastic the NHS is. It is something we should cherish and properly support
  • Options
    Really nice story Bob, and good on you for writing such a heart warming tribute about the people who helped you.
    Here’s to a speedy recovery for you, and a good Christmas.
  • Options

Wishing you a speedy recovery Bob and great to hear how well you were looked after. The NHS and its staff are absolutely wonderful.

The question I have to ask though is this - have you been billed yet by Morrisons for the remedial work to the car park?

Quite the opposite - I’m considering contacting Injury Lawyers 4U!

Seriously, the Morrison’s staff were brilliant.

It’s only a small crater anyway.

• Options

Wish a speedy recovery to you. Did you know only old people have a fall young people just trip over.

It was definitely a trip!
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Wish a speedy recovery to you. Did you know only old people have a fall young people just trip over.

It was definitely a trip!
    Mannnnnn
  • Options
    Great post and spot on. All the best @bobmunro
  • Options
    Speedy recovery Bob but er if you found yourself too unfit and unable to take up your ringside tickets in Manchester......
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Speedy recovery Bob but er if you found yourself too unfit and unable to take up your ringside tickets in Manchester......

First thoughts were I’m missing a big do in London tonight, then it turned to how will they cope at work without me - but then all of that was replaced with ‘I am not missing Groves/Eubank!

• Options
    A speedy recovery to you sir.
    It’s good to hear people say good positive things about our NHS instead of the negatives.
    Like most of the population, I too have had various trips to A&E and other parts of the health service over the years. They have always been there for me when I’ve needed a few stitches or bone set or something removed and no one ever mentioned where to send the bill. Unlike some parts of the western world.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Quick recovery, Bob. Long live the NHS.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Sorry to hear Bob but glad your care experience was so good.

Don’t let the wife slack at all over Christmas, you need proper feeding when you’re recovering from an injury :wink:
  • Options
    Best wishes for a speedy recovery Bob!
  • Options
    I honestly don’t know how the nurses do their job. My Dad has been in hospital over a week. The nurses are on their feet 13 hours, not stopping, it seems, for a break. Always someone needing something doing or a new arrival who needs tending to.
    Amazing people.
  • Options
    Hope you're on the way to recovery Bob and glad to hear your praise of the NHS.
    Paramedic is Cat Jnr's career (vocation?) choice. He's doing A Levels atm and applying to Uni next year. When he makes it, I will be immensely proud for him to be part of that great institution.
  • Options

I honestly don’t know how the nurses do their job. My Dad has been in hospital over a week. The nurses are on their feet 13 hours, not stopping, it seems, for a break. Always someone needing something doing or a new arrival who needs tending to.
    Amazing people.

Exactly this. Heaven knows I witnessed this at QE Woolwich as my Mum slipped away during August. The unfailing kindness of the hopelessly overworked nursing staff who cared for her in the final days.

Now I am going to sound a slightly dissenting voice. Not about the people on the front line, but on the system

I also witnessed the evidence that the system is at breaking point. So on the morning of her passing away they were intent on sending her home despite us being aghast at this decision. Suddenly at 14.00 or so they decided that in fact she couldn't go home and she had only hours to live. Fortunately I was able to get there from Prague by 20.00. She passed away in the early hours. We subsequently received an unsolicited apology from the Discharge Manager or whatever her title is. Again personal respect to her for offering that apology

When I explain that part of the story to people out here, they are also aghast. They cannot believe that this could happen in the NHS, whose reputation is worldwide.

So my question is this. Since everybody on this thread agrees with Bob's sentiments, how come it remains politically so difficult to vote in a government with policies that actually addresses a system that is at breaking point?
  • Options

Amazing people.

Exactly this. Heaven knows I witnessed this at QE Woolwich as my Mum slipped away during August. The unfailing kindness of the hopelessly overworked nursing staff who cared for her in the final days.

Now I am going to sound a slightly dissenting voice. Not about the people on the front line, but on the system

I also witnessed the evidence that the system is at breaking point. So on the morning of her passing away they were intent on sending her home despite us being aghast at this decision. Suddenly at 14.00 or so they decided that in fact she couldn't go home and she had only hours to live. Fortunately I was able to get there from Prague by 20.00. She passed away in the early hours. We subsequently received an unsolicited apology from the Discharge Manager or whatever her title is. Again personal respect to her for offering that apology

When I explain that part of the story to people out here, they are also aghast. They cannot believe that this could happen in the NHS, whose reputation is worldwide.

So my question is this. Since everybody on this thread agrees with Bob's sentiments, how come it remains politically so difficult to vote in a government with policies that actually addresses a system that is at breaking point?
    I think the issue is money, an nobody feels like they should pay extra tax, just that everybody else should
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Amazing people.

I think the issue is money, an nobody feels like they should pay extra tax, just that everybody else should
    Exactly this too, but it's not just the money itself. It's clearer (certainly to me now) that the pressure on the NHS in part comes from the collapse of the elderly care system. Then there is a debate to be had about whether some elements of an insurance based system might in fact be of merit. And probably a lot of other big questions that I'm not personally up with, but others working in the sector will be.

My overall point is that if we (by which i mean all citizens and all politicians) had spent even 10% of the time in the last 10 years addressing these issues, that we have spent banging on about the EU, the NHS would not be in this mess.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Love the NHS. In fact, I'm in a hospital waiting area right now; I've probably got, at worst, a cracked rib, and I know there's pretty much nothing they'll be able to do for me.
    But it's worth getting checked out, and I'm grateful to be able to do just that without worrying about prices and insurance.
  • Options
    Ironically, having been sent home on Thursday, my Dad is back in. Currently in a ward in Medway awaiting assessment. I’ve never seen a hospital as busy as this currently is.
  • Options
    All the best mate, hope you have a quick recovery. Some people will do anything to get out of cooking at Christmas!!!!!!
  • Options
    All the best for a speedy recovery. I could have won a few bob in predicting who would not have been on this thread echoing your sentiments...