Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chris Rea

Collapsed on stage in Oxford this evening, let's hope he recovers fully soon.

Comments

• Options
    Hope he recovers, he's had an awful lot of health problems for a long time now and amazing how he's continued to tour.
  • Options
    Yes, a survivor of pancreatic cancer, one of the nastiest.
    Great musician.
  • Options
    edited December 2017

Sky news said he is ok.
    Coming home for Xmas

Genius. Double LOL for that one .

You’re not as senile as I thought :smiley:
  • Options
    Hope he's ok. Like a bit of Rea
  • Options
    The first proper concert I went to was Clapton at Wembley arena in 85 and Chris Rea was the support. We had front row seats and got there so early that we caught CR doing his sound check. Got him to sign the flyer for his single that had been put out on the chairs and had a chat with him, he seemed a decent bloke.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Collapsed on stage in Oxford this evening, let's hope he recovers fully soon.

Was he driving home for Christmas?
  • Options
    His brother once ran our club shop.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Dire ??
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Wasn’t that Chris Tugwell? Tugwell should have been @DaveMehmet ‘s surname.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:

You wot?

Btw for those who hasn't heard his more recent stuff, post his fight with cancer, you might be surprised. "Stony Road" onwards. He always used to complain that the record company would push him towards the AOR stuff that he is most well known for. He used to get really furious when people confused him with Chris de Burgh. He's an accomplished slide guitarist and student of the great blues players. But I also like him because he's a proud Middlesbrough native. It's good when someone sticks up for a dump like that :-)
  • Options

seth plum said:

You wot?

Btw for those who hasn't heard his more recent stuff, post his fight with cancer, you might be surprised. "Stony Road" onwards. He always used to complain that the record company would push him towards the AOR stuff that he is most well known for. He used to get really furious when people confused him with Chris de Burgh. He's an accomplished slide guitarist and student of the great blues players. But I also like him because he's a proud Middlesbrough native. It's good when someone sticks up for a dump like that :-)
    I am almost certain it is true about the shop.
    I now hope other posters remember it too.
  • Options
    His brother Michael, did manage the Club shop.
  • Options

seth plum said:

You wot?

On that basis you must also like Rod Liddle, who also regularly sticks up for Middlesbrough as that’s where he comes from. :wink:
  • Options
    Saw him a few times. In 85 supporting Clapton in Edinburgh then on the Auberge tour at Wembley arena when I got ther early to discover my seat was in the front couple of rows and he appeared before his set at the crush barrier with a huge inflatable Santa which he chucked into the crowd. Saw him again about ten years ago after his (relative) recovery from illness when he was playing mainly blues with a few hits chucked in. Very talented guy and seems like a lovely bloke. Hope he recovers.

The old joke about him doing a duet with Mark Knopfler until they realised they would have to call themselves Dire Rea still makes me chuckle even if it is as old as the hills.
  • Options
    Roma said:

His brother Michael, did manage the Club shop.

Do you remember when that was? I worked with a McCain client who knew his brother, that would be 82-83 and they were all oop North then- McCain are in Scarborough. If there had been any Charlton connection I am sure he would have mentioned it, he knew I was a fan

Maybe there are more brothers, I will go take a look at Wiki.
  • Options
    Defo true. He was there I’d say for a good few years before and after I worked there 8ish years ago. Not sure he’s working now as he wasn’t well for a while himself and I bumped into him in Blackheath having a catch up with Suthers. He went to work for a rugby side when he left Charlton.
    Top fella and not close to his brother as we found out at the staff Xmas karaoke party when we always volunteered him to sing ‘driving home for christmas’ and a string of expletives often left his mouth before the end of the first 3 notes of the song!
  • Options
    I know Michael as his son and my son went through school together both junior and senior in the Beckenham area. He was indeed Club shop manager through our declining premiership years and beyond for a little while. He then moved onto Saracens and as Suzi says is a top fella who was not very close to his brother Chris but they did remain in touch. Their father ran an ice cream business in the town which apparently was fairly legendary for those of a certain era who lived in Middlesbrough.