Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Why 8th December is also an important anniversary

We are currently celebrating, and rightfully so, a major date in our club's very special history.

But in commemorating the return to The Valley we should not overlook the fact that in order to return we had first to have left, and not for the first time.

On 8th December 1923 CAFC played at The Valley for the last time that season. They then moved to The Mount, Catford. This proved unsuccessful, and the club returned to The Valley for the 1924/25 season, playing their opening home game on 1st September 1924.

So, then, twice now we've left and a third departure would be one Valley hat-trick I really wouldn't want to see.

We understand that our Current Owner and our Next Owner are locked in battle for us like bull seals on the beach. Well, our past is safely tucked away in countless millions of precious memories and the present day is fleeting - after so many disappointments over the years we are left only with unceasing hope for the bright future of Charlton Athletic Football Club, London SE7.

Let us pray.

Comments

• Options

We are currently celebrating, and rightfully so, a major date in our club's very special history.

But in commemorating the return to The Valley we should not overlook the fact that in order to return we had first to have left, and not for the first time.

On 8th December 1923 CAFC played at The Valley for the last time that season. They then moved to The Mount, Catford. This proved unsuccessful, and the club returned to The Valley for the 1924/25 season, playing their opening home game on 1st September 1924.

So, then, twice now we've left and a third departure would be one Valley hat-trick I really wouldn't want to see.

We understand that our Current Owner and our Next Owner are locked in battle for us like bull seals on the beach. Well, our past is safely tucked away in countless millions of precious memories and the present day is fleeting - after so many disappointments over the years we are left only with unceasing hope for the bright future of Charlton Athletic Football Club, London SE7.

Let us pray.

Somebody watched Blue Planet !

What was the reasoning for moving to Catford and why did it go so badly so quickly ?

Would have been horrendous if it had worked out, imagine playing in the Borough of Lewisham!
  • Options

Disappointing gates in SE7 - even worse in SE6
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Let us pray.

What was the reasoning for moving to Catford and why did it go so badly so quickly ?

Would have been horrendous if it had worked out, imagine playing in the Borough of Lewisham!
    Back in those days the area was a very desirable place to live.
  • Options
    Also the day I met my future wife.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Let us pray.

Scheming at Catford Southend played its part, hence the team was to play in Catford colours and was nicknamed the Kittens by the Lewisham paper. Ron Noades had a long life.
  • Options

What.....in 1923?
  • Options

What.....in 1923?
    I look well for my age.
  • Options

You remember the day you met your wife? I cant remember the year I met mine.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Let us pray.

Are they red bull seals?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

se9addick said:

Let us pray.

Scheming at Catford Southend played its part, hence the team was to play in Catford colours and was nicknamed the Kittens by the Lewisham paper. Ron Noades had a long life.
    There's a nickname to spread fear into rival teams!
  • Options

se9addick said:

Let us pray.

There's a nickname to spread fear into rival teams!
    Better than being called pussies anyway!
  • Options
    1905 said:

You remember the day you met your wife? I cant remember the year I met mine.
    I was invited to a party the night of Ipswich at home, if we'd been away my wife would be a happy lady now!