Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

AFC Wimbledon vs Charlton FA Cup 2nd rd: post match views

Comments

• Options
    From the home end.
    Wimbledon really are a ten bob outfit and will do well to stay up this year. That they beat us quite easily in the end says it all.
    We whizzed around the pitch doing quick one-twos but it didn't amount to much. Their first goal looked very soft and I gather Konsa cocked up.
    Marshall finally got around the back to help set up our goal which was neatly taken by KAG. We nearly got another similar one but they blocked the shot.
    In the second half we started off on fire and should have scored after Da Silva's deflected long range shot came off the bar. Magennis did not have enough skill to flick the ball into the empty net!
    Most of our play from the back comes from Sarr and most of the time he did well but he really messed up by trying to dribble up the pitch and we were then wide open and they scored an easy second goal.
    After that there was only one winner. Dijkstel had a tussle with their winger on the edge of the area. It didn't look like a foul to me. I thought the ref, who otherwise had a decent game, was going to give an indirect free kick but nope, after some verbals he pointed to the spot. Taylor blasted the ball down the middle, 3 - 1.
    In short, we were too open at the back and not very dangerous up front but pretty on the eye in mid field.
  • Options
    Disappointed.
  • Options
    Missing Pearce as well.
  • Options
    Taylor was the difference today. ThEy had him and we had magennis. What a miss at 1-1
  • Options
    Fairly even 1st half. We got on top in second but 2 incidents changed all that. Magennis miss from 4 yards, then a calamity by Sarr. How people rate him I don't know.He continually gets caught out of position, is too slow and gives the ball away in dangerous positions.
    Desperately need a striker who can score and nerd Bauer or Peace back asap.
    Plus points were the youngsters, who continue to show promise.
  • Options
    We looked good in patches going forward, but it all fizzled out in the last 30 minutes, with the substitutions making us worse. Was KAG taken off for tactical reasons or because of the heavy challenge?

While we weren't great up front (Josh was ineffective) the main issues were at the back, where we desperately missed the experience and steel provided by Pearce (and to a lesser extent a fit Bauer and Solly), as all their goals came from defensive errors, and both Sarr and Konsa were bullied by their forwards. Against physical teams we look soft, and take so many chances at the back. 9 times out of 10(?) our defenders can swerve around opposition forwards successfully, and it looks great, but when we lose the ball and concede it doesn't look so clever

Aribo had a decent game, no idea why he's hardly played this season, Djiksteel wasn't bad either

As most know, the view is pretty poor, but the programme was good and the tannoy played some decent tunes (really looking for any positives from today)
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Not bedwetting or playing doom merchant but no wins in three and just an injury time fightback that was pretty much undeserved.

Next week is a very important day on the pitch as well as off it. I am fearful of hitting a busy Christmas with the tanks empty and no plan B.
  • Options
    Who have the pen awAy, Sarr or dijksteel? Terrible challenge
  • Options

Who have the pen awAy, Sarr or dijksteel? Terrible challenge

Djiksteel
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just how many open goals has Magennis missed this season. Simply not good enough!!!
  • Options

Just how many open goals has Magennis missed this season. Simply not good enough!!!

He's missed chances and someone better could really improve the team, but open goals?

From what I've seen of him they're not all clear cut chances, though a number of them a natural goalscorer would take.
  • Options
    We have not really played well in a month. In our last 7 matches we have been outscored. I feel we are drifting back to mid table and won't even be top 6 now.
  • Options
    Only saw the goals on BBC but poor defensive play and mistakes again. As there have been in the past few home games. Konsa and Sarr do not work together.
  • Options
    Only made it to 3 games this season.
    Plymouth, Gillingham and Wimbledon.
    Lost all 3, maybe I should give up.
    At least I saw us score today.
  • Options
    Magennis is starting to cost us, same old missed chances from him.
  • Options
    I would expect our best back four would be Solly, Bauer, Pearce, DaSilva, only one of those played today, their replacements are young and talented but are inexperienced.
  • Options
    Disappointed but not that surprised we lost and to be honest not that bothered. Wasn't at the game so cant say how we played, but as far as i am concerned the only thing that matters this season is getting out of this league and back into the Championship. Interesting to note that none of the other League 1 teams near the top (Blackburn, Scunthorpe, Peterborough) won either with 2 of them going to replays.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

He's missed chances and someone better could really improve the team, but open goals?

From what I've seen of him they're not all clear cut chances, though a number of them a natural goalscorer would take.
    He is a centre forward and he should do better. The ball dropped to him 6 yards out and he smacked it over. Terrible miss and about the 8th time this season. We need to get someone better in jan, Taylor was a lot better today, could the Wombles turn down 500k??
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    philcafc said:

Disappointed but not that surprised we lost and to be honest not that bothered. Wasn't at the game so cant say how we played, but as far as i am concerned the only thing that matters this season is getting out of this league and back into the Championship. Interesting to note that none of the other League 1 teams near the top (Blackburn, Scunthorpe, Peterborough) won either with 2 of them going to replays.

Wigan have a replay as well and Shrewsbury and Bradford went through, so literally the only positive to take from this weekend is that the other sides around us will have extra games to play.
  • Options
    Went out at 1-1 and Charlton seemingly in the ascendancy.

Came back to a 3-1 defeat.

No great surprise in that as such, given that it's a cup and Charlton, but the concern is that we apparently looked leggy and stretched given the far touher league tests ahead of us.

Just hope that we picked up no new injuries (no idea re cards) and that they can bounce back next week in the far more important league match.

Silver lining: no arguing the toss over away ticket allocations at a decent opponent.

• Options

philcafc said:

Wigan have a replay as well and Shrewsbury and Bradford went through, so literally the only positive to take from this weekend is that the other sides around us will have extra games to play.
    We will probably beAt Swansea u12’s this week and createca fixture pile up
  • Options

philcafc said:

We will probably beAt Swansea u12’s this week and createca fixture pile up
    ..... for our U23 team.

• Options
    A great chance to get back to winning ways, as a winning mentality is important whatever competition your playing in but never mind, another season of cup dreams gone unless you count the Mickey Mouse paint trophy(whatever it is called now).

Maybe next season will be our year..........
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Just seen the brief highlights on the beeb, poor defending for the first two goals, indecision by Konsa for the first who should have taken responsibility and cleared the danger. Sarr trying to intercept and ending up the wrong side of his man in the left back position' However still a bit to do for their winger and little resistance from the remaining red shirts goal side, so bad error but not all down to Sarr imo. Very soft pen against Djiksteel.

I defended Josh last week for not taking another chance at Scunny but today's miss, notwithstanding it coming to him quickly off the goal frame in the six yard box, a few blue shirts trying to close him down and the keeper to beat it would have been meat and gravy for an out and out goal scorer, sadly this Josh isn't :disappointed:.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    My take on it having just got back & also just seeing the goals again on BBC - although they didn't show the main turning point.......Big Josh's miss from 4 - 6 yards out (depending on what you saw)

2 errors led to their goals; Konsa should have just hoofed it into row Z & Sarr shouldn't be dribbling to ball out of defence - but that is the modern way & defenders are coached to pass it around the back. In my day you just cleared your lines. Didn't see the pen in real time - the scaffolding was in the way (you had to be there.....), but TV replay shows it was just in the box & when you away from home & no-one likes your manager then those decision go against you. After that the game was up & we didn't look like scoring. Just be thankful we have Dean Lewington training with us as he is the answer to our prayers :smile:

Good goal from KAG - about the only time Big Josh got his head to the ball & his flick on set up KAG's pass to Marshall. For a big, tall striker he gets nowhere near enough headers or flick-ons that he should. I didn't get a good view of his miss as I though Da Silva's shot was going in but a striker is paid to score & from 6 yards out he should have least got it on target. But if was any good he wouldn't be playing in the 3rd tier of English football & if we are ever going to get out of this poxy league we need a better striker (how many times have I said that I wonder.........)

KAG was coming off before his injury ( looked like he got caught by an elbow into his mouth & may need some dental work by looks of things). KR had told him a good 5 mins earlier he was coming off (he wasn't too pleased at this news) and I have no idea why as his pace was causing them problems. But that wasn't the most unusual substitution of the day, No, that one goes to Lennon. 5 mins to go, losing 3-1in a Cup tie, our esteemed manger decides to take of Aribo (a midfielder) and replace him with Lennon (a defender) and move Konsa (a defender) into midfield. As they used to say at the start of SOAP........confused ?? you will be !!! I can only assume that KR decided at that point (or even at 2pm) that we didn't want more fixture postponements and so a defeat was worth the (non) effort. Injury time was a joke, with the defenders passing it around themselves as it we were 5-0 up & just wanting to kill time. Not once did the ball get pumped forward & I don't think we got into their box once Lennon came on. KR may also have known that on 3rd round day (jan 6th) AFC Wimbledon were supposed to be hosting Blackburn so one of our play-off rivals will be playing catch up................and some say Scousers are thick !!!

• Options
    Sarr's 2016 form returning; has been coming.