Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

25 years on, how many of us will be there for the anniversary game ?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Sadly only be there in spirit from Riyadh.
  • Options
    Was there in '92, will be there on Saturday. However, I will be the only one of the five of us that sat in the Covered End that day 25 years ago.
    One is boycotting, one is now not enjoying the best of health and the other two have stopped going completely.
    Times change - sadly not always for the better.
  • Options
    I was at the first game back (and my first game) at the Valley siting in the F Block, and will be going to the anniversary game. I have been too two home games in two seasons because of my boycot but not even Roland will stop me attending this game with the two boys.
  • Options
    Will be there

Curiously the most emotional moment I had in 1992, was when before the match (of all players) I saw Kim Grant running out of the portakabin changing rooms, which brought a tear to my eye!
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Was there with my Dad, sadly now departed. Will be going with my daughter
  • Options
    Was there in 92 and will be there on Sat

Was amazed I got a ticket. I think it was due to my dad signing me up to the junior supporters club (at my request!). 15 year old me travelled up on a train full of Pompey from the south coast. I remember that I was buzzing all day, from the moment I left home right until I closed my eyes that night. It was my first time to watch a game at the valley and I found a new place where I belonged that day. I felt part of a tribe much more than I ever had some at the occasional games I’d seen over at Selhurst or the Boleyn.
  • Options
    I remember having a pee in the Covered End toilets just as they came out on the pitch (too many in The Oak pre match).

Red, Red Robin blaring out over the Tannoy. Blubbed like a baby.
  • Options
    I was there in 1992 along with my brother and a good friend. We will all be there on Saturday along with various offspring.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was there in the temporary stand 25 years ago. Sat very close to the Pompey fans. One of my best days supporting my club. Fantastic day from the Pickwick, the pre match, the match and back to the Pickwick.
    I will not be attending next week, I can’t stand the owner or his staff and I don’t want good memories and times attached to the present day.
  • Options

Was there in 1992 with my son and we will both be there on Saturday.

In 92, I was a young(ish) man in the prime of life whilst my son was a small, shy 6 year old who I remember clinging onto my hand as we walked down to the ground as he was frightened of the crowd.

Now I'm an old, grey-haired geezer with a Boris bus pass that gives me free travel whilst my son is a strapping, strong as an ox young(ish) man in the prime of life who "looks after me" when we go to games!

The circle of life, eh?

(PS My son said to me the other day he doesn't remember anything about the 92 game or day. Sadly, if I'm still around in a few years time, I suspect I won't remember too much of this coming Saturday's game!)

Snap. I was there on the big day with my two sons, aged six and twelve. Will be there on Saturday too (with the six year old). We have missed a mere handful of home games in between. Hoping the twelve year old will make a return for old times sake (after a two season gap) . He is a little older than I was then ... scary.

I too have my Boris pass, but sadly never even had the chance to go grey :neutral:

Incidentally, ensured our three tickets back then by signing the boys up for the Junior Reds and becoming an associate member of them. Possibly my smartest ever move.
  • Options
    I was lucky enough to be there 25 years ago, I was in the Boys Brigade Band back then and we were asked to play on the pitch as part of the pre match entertainment.

We were stood right next to the makeshift changing rooms and I managed to get most of the players autographs as they came out for the warm up, we did our 10 minutes playing and went and watched the match from the Jimmy Seed Stand.

Saw Colin Walsh in Bexleyheath the week after and the only thing I had on me for him to sign was my match ticket which was still in my coat, found the ticket in a old box whilst having a clear out last year, my 10 year old had no interest in it so I gave it to the museum.
  • Options
    trundler said:

In covered end for game but not attending Saturday.Stood as a Valley party candidate but I assume our efforts with many others won't be recognised.Will return for games when ownership changes.

trundler said:

In covered end for game but not attending Saturday.Stood as a Valley party candidate but I assume our efforts with many others won't be recognised.Will return for games when ownership changes.

Anyone who played a part in getting us Back to the Valley should be recognised - but you have to move on .With or without current owners surely a time for celebration and we should all be there.Live Love Laugh and Be Happy
  • Options
    I was there in '92 alongside my dear old dad and we'll be there again together next Saturday just as we have been for 44 years through thick and thin whether at the Valley, in Croydon or West Ham. This time the next generation is represented my by nephew who I think is genuinely pissed off that he wasn't born in 1992 to be able to say he was there on that magical day. COYR.
  • Options
    I bought nine tickets for the Return to the Valley match in 1992. Myself, four family an five mates. None of the family will be there and only two mates who remain season ticket holders. I won't be there as I started a full-time boycott this season until the Belgians are gone.
  • Options
    I bet RD will be totally gutted that boycotting fans will miss out on the once in a lifetime opportunity to remember a major event in our club’s history. That’ll teach him...
  • Options
    edited December 2017
  • Options
    I'll be there with my daughters, I was there but they weren't born in 1992
  • Options
    I was there in 92, I won't be there in 17, two reasons. My carer is on holiday and I've nothing to wear, thanks to CL ;)
    But I think the owner and the currant regime are doing a fantastic job.
    *NURSE* my medication is wearing off again, I'm talking bollox ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What a great video. So many memories... perhaps Roland and Katy should have been forced to watch it... maybe then they would have realised what our club means to us and more importantly just what the supporters of this great club can achieve. Well, hopefully, it's too late for them and we can welcome new and, please God, more knowledgeable and enlightened owners!
  • Options
    Two out of four of us will be there. The other two watching on from above...
  • Options
    I was just thinking....

Did somebody at the club make a request to the fixtures people at the football League to get Pompey for the anniversary game? Or did they figure it out themselves and do it for us?

I guess it would be Chris Parkes’ job to request?

Surely Daisy didn’t think this one through enough or care enough to put a request in for this.
  • Options

I bet RD will be totally gutted that boycotting fans will miss out on the once in a lifetime opportunity to remember a major event in our club’s history. That’ll teach him...

Yeah,

He will be as gutted as he is when every home game he is gifted tens of thousands of pounds by Charlton supporters despite the fact he has said that he has no ambition for the club and he thinks the supporters are idiots.
  • Options

I understand that the fixture was arranged. It's a contrivance. I would have preferred to see what the fixture computer came up with.
    The anniversary of 5/12/92 endures. May it be the case that this ruinous regime does not.

Yeah, just think we could have all gone to Rochdale instead. It would have been so much better.
  • Options
    Well we know that John Anthony Portsmouth Football Club Westwood will be there in the away end.
  • Options

Well we know that John Anthony Portsmouth Football Club Westwood will be there in the away end.

This. With bells on :wink: