Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2017 shortlist revealed

12346»

Comments

• Options

I know this is more likely me being naive than anything, but who has even heard of this Rea bloke? Even Peacock that high seems a bit off. The whole Top 3 just isn’t right, no disrespect to them individually but that screams fix to me.
    There's four names on that list I've never heard of including the bloke who came second.
  • Options
    edited December 2017

I am shocked Jonathan Rae polled over 80k in votes and beat some of the other names on the list.

the Northern Irish vote, he has a much higher profile there, understandably..

• Options
    Don’t see why Mo wasn’t there surely unless it’s a family thing then you should be there, I like when lesser known sports get voted guy that finished 2nd is apparently very good in his field
  • Options
    edited December 2017

9 of last 12 winners from sports covered by the BBC (Olympics and Tennis)

Two were cyclists. Road cycling covered by Eurosport and ITV 4 only. Track cycling shown on BBC though.

Froome's recent 'doping' revelations (non story probably) may have halved his vote.
  • Options

Don’t see why Mo wasn’t there surely unless it’s a family thing then you should be there, I like when lesser known sports get voted guy that finished 2nd is apparently very good in his field

One of his kids is sick.
  • Options
    Jonnie Peacock definitely benefited from the Strictly Come Dancing audience, seeing him dance was quite inspiring actually
  • Options
    Greenie said:

I am shocked Jonathan Rae polled over 80k in votes and beat some of the other names on the list.

Why? He's from Northen Ireland, bike racing is massive there, he has a huge fan base worldwide and is 3 times World Superbike champion in arguably one of the toughest sports.
    Also he's a bloody likeable bloke.
    Here we go again...
  • Options

Who was that saying 'fuck off' at the camera?!

it was Gary Lough who is Mo's new coach
  • Options
    Sad to see that George Digweed still never gets a mention
  • Options

Cue the BBC bashing

Wrong again.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2017

Amazing what £100bn can do for you.
  • Options
    I used to love SPOTY.

The show was born in the same year as me and as a kid I’d look forward to it and regard it as an annual TV highlight. It seemed to me that the participants were proud to be there and honoured that the British public took the trouble to send off their postcard votes.

Although I still admire the sporting prowess of the top stars, I care less about them. The main driver in sports now is money, all the talk about pride and honour is somewhat lost as these people live a life quite detached and aloof from their public.

I note last night’s winner didn’t even turn up for the show ... and do you know what? Nor did I.
  • Options

Amazing what £100bn can do for you.
    For £100bn you could rebuild NI. Think you've got your mafs arse about face :smile:
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Laddick01 said:

I’m not Hamilton’s biggest fan but he achieved more this year than Farah

They both won a world title but Farah also came runner up in another world title so how did Hamilton do more?

Hamilton had best car, Farah had best legs.

P.S. I am a massive Hamilton fan and would have voted Peaty myself if could be bothered by this malarkey.
    If you look at it that way, how many races Hamilton win compared to Mo?
  • Options
    Stig said:

Greenie said:

Why? He's from Northen Ireland, bike racing is massive there, he has a huge fan base worldwide and is 3 times World Superbike champion in arguably one of the toughest sports.
    Also he's a bloody likeable bloke.
    Here we go again...
    ??
    Don't hide Stig at least say what you have to say!
  • Options
    Just watched it.

The Bradley Lowery segment done me
  • Options

MrOneLung said:

Laddick01 said:

I’m not Hamilton’s biggest fan but he achieved more this year than Farah

They both won a world title but Farah also came runner up in another world title so how did Hamilton do more?

Hamilton had best car, Farah had best legs.

P.S. I am a massive Hamilton fan and would have voted Peaty myself if could be bothered by this malarkey.
    If you look at it that way, how many races Hamilton win compared to Mo?
    I make it 9 each

• Options
    How many did they lose ?