Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Name the new pitches at the Training Ground after war heroes

Comments

• Options
    Should they not mean something to the younger generation who train there everyday?

Rap Star
    X Factor
    Reality FC
    Twitter
  • Options
    I know that I might be swimming against the tide here, but I'm going to argue against Henry and co.s Chick, MacKenzie, Nightingale, Reynolds suggestion. Heroes that they were, those gentlemen are already celebrated at the memorial area and the museum. We should be proud that they served club and country, but I don't that means we have to remember them all the time everywhere. And, if we're being blunt, two of those players were not even prominent enough to be remembered by the club immediately after the war. The fact that it was such a monumental task uncovering who they actually were says quite a lot about their importance to the club

I'd prefer to use the names to honour some other people from our early history who perhaps don't always get the attention that they might. What about:

1. Bryan
    2. Dowling
    3. Kinsgley
    4. Swift

Or maybe something a little quirkier:

1. Black
    2. Blend
    3. Perfect
    4. & Putt
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Young
    Fish
    Costa
    Fortune

Yes!
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Sod the pitches. Make sure the training ground is named after the pair that bought the club it 30 years ago.

Roger Alwen and Michael Norris

That's a great idea actually - remember feeling so proud of us buying Sparrows Lane as our 'home' given that we were still playing at Sainsburys, Norwood Junction.
  • Options
    Advancing the addicks..........

oh, sorry - not that kind of pitch.
  • Options
    1. Pitchy
    2. Grassy
    3. Lawny
    4. Turfy
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cardigan
    wiotos
    laundry basket
    height test
  • Options
    If we do end up naming them after past academy graduates, I do hope it's not after players who have played relatively few games for us then moved on to bigger and better things with other clubs. We want our youngsters to grow better and older with us, and not see "The Gomez" pitch as a sign that they can stick around for a year and then jump ship and play for someone else...we want the Premier League stars of the future to stay and take us there!

For that reason, we really should rule out the Ade Lookman pitch (45 games), the Jonjo Shelvey pitch (42 games), the aforementioned Gomez pitch (21 games), the Carl Jenkinson (8 matches) and the dare-I-say-it Jermain Defoe pitch (0 games).

That should leave us with a choice from Carl Leaburn (344 games), Scott Parker (128 games), Paul Konchesky (149 games), Chris Solly (237 games), Darren Pitcher (173 games), Kim Grant (123 matches), Richard Rufus (288 games), and/or Shaun Newton (240 games). Have I missed anyone?

* All stats via Wikipedia.
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

If we do end up naming them after past academy graduates, I do hope it's not after players who have played relatively few games for us then moved on to bigger and better things with other clubs. We want our youngsters to grow better and older with us, and not see "The Gomez" pitch as a sign that they can stick around for a year and then jump ship and play for someone else...we want the Premier League stars of the future to stay and take us there!

For that reason, we really should rule out the Ade Lookman pitch (45 games), the Jonjo Shelvey pitch (42 games), the aforementioned Gomez pitch (21 games), the Carl Jenkinson (8 matches) and the dare-I-say-it Jermain Defoe pitch (0 games).

That should leave us with a choice from Carl Leaburn (344 games), Scott Parker (128 games), Paul Konchesky (149 games), Chris Solly (237 games), Darren Pitcher (173 games), Kim Grant (123 matches), Richard Rufus (288 games), and/or Shaun Newton (240 games). Have I missed anyone?

I was one of the ones that agreed 1st off with the war time names,but when Stig puts it like that,I agree with him,so for that reason I'm sort of angling to Pedro45 with the long term game players who actually stayed around with us...;)
  • Options
    1. Pitch, better have my money
    2. Pitch, We got a problem
    3. Ain't that a Pitch?
    4. Cold hard Pitch
  • Options
    1. I got
    2. 99 problems
    3. but the pitch
    4. ain't one.
  • Options
    1. Pitch
    2. Naming
    3. By
    4. Pitch PR
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Pedro45 said:

"Dad, when I grow up, I want to play like and be as successful as Jermaine Defoe"

"No son, Leaburn is what you should be aiming for"
  • Options
    After the pitches are named, the buildings could be called the 'Mirage of SE9', or the invisible facility, like this one:

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Seems a bit strange and probably confusing to give them peoples names and not been down there lately but guess they could move around be rotated season by season? Also, amount of times I've walked around wondering which pitch is which at grounds - pitch 1,2,3,4 etc as normally no map in changing rooms. Give them a number and make sure the groundsman white lines that number behind the goal. A bit boring maybe but very practical.
  • Options
    Read the club website now - makes sense - academy successes - I'd go Bowyer, Rufus, Brown and Newton - from the golden era - but the logic is clearly to inspire (not sure what the WW names suggestion is all about - worthy fellas obviously but totally inappropriate for this). Lookman, Bowyer, Parker and Gomez are probably the most high profile.
  • Options
    I'm in favour of the academy product idea, but it should be players who stuck around for a bit, and left well.

Brown, Rufus and Leaburn for certain. Though I always think Steve Gritt is under-recognised at Charlton and it would be a mark of appreciation to have a gritt pitch.

• Options
    IdleHans said:

I'm in favour of the academy product idea, but it should be players who stuck around for a bit, and left well.

Brown, Rufus and Leaburn for certain. Though I always think Steve Gritt is under-recognised at Charlton and it would be a mark of appreciation to have a gritt pitch.

Slide tackles would hurt
  • Options
    Stig said:

I've given this some more considered thought. Here is who I really think the pitches should be named after.

Jim McKenzie: One of Henry's war heroes. Just fifteen years old when the club was founded, he was the first club secretary. It would have been McKenzie that organised the fledgling club's first fixtures and the following year sorted out our entry to the Lewisham League that marked the start of a breathtaking series of championships. Naming a pitch after Jim McKenzie should be a reminder that our club truly was founded for the people by the people.

Arthur Bryan: Arthur Byan was first and foremost a supporter of the club, though he was at one stage vice president. The fish and chip suppers that he supplied and his antics waving fish laden poles gave the club it's first and most enduring nickname. Naming one of the pitches after Arthur Bryan should act as a reminder to all of the centrality of supporters in shaping our club's heritage.

Albert Mills: "Mosky" Mills made just two league appearances for Charlton. This might not sound that impressive until you consider that he also played in the club's first ever match some sixteen years earlier. It is not known just how many matches he played for The Addicks but the fact that in his fifteenth season he played 20 matches in The Southern League suggests that the number would probably have been well into the hundreds. Naming a pitch after Albert Mills should act as a reminder that our club's greatness was built on consistency and loyalty.

Alfred Kingsley: "Scotty" Kingsley quite possibly saved the club twice. The first time, immediately after World War I, when it was Kingsley's suggestion that the club start up again. Secondly, when he agreed against his own personal wishes, to be transferred to Fulham so that the transfer fee could be used to pay a £1,000 building bill. If that wasn't enough, it is also said that Kingsley was one of a small group who decided upon The Valley as the club's location. Naming a pitch after Alfred Kingsley should serve as a reminder that we only have a club, thanks to the sacrifices of great people.

That's a good call @Stig

All worthy names

I fear that as with the gates decisions were made without thinking beyond the first idea that came into their head.

I think naming pitches after players who are still playing is a big risk. What is one pitch is named "Lookman" and he then signs for Palace?

If it has to youth players then at least make it retired players.
  • Options
    Pretty sure Rufus bowyer and Newton aren't the greatest ever role models! Should we throw in Jamie Stuart as well?
  • Options
    Parker, Konchesky, Shelvey and Gomez all got capped by England so worth a shout I reckon.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Pretty sure Rufus bowyer and Newton aren't the greatest ever role models! Should we throw in Jamie Stuart as well?

That's why I said but the logic is clearly to inspire and named the high profile ones - it obviously to remind the kids that they can make it to the big time via our academy - hopefully that can be with us in the future