Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Vs Charlton

13»

Comments

• Options

Scoham said:

Would those saying England swap our play-off final win in 98 for England winning a tournament?

Yes. For all the reasons stated above.
    Wow that is some staement Algarve. It was not just the win at Wembley but the seasons that followed that made that game so special.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Would those saying England swap our play-off final win in 98 for England winning a tournament?

To reverse the question, would you swap World Cup 1966 for Charlton getting promoted to the first division that season?
  • Options
    the fa cup would be the journey that went along with it, with the money that's flying about in the prem now and ridiculous kick off times etc that the big 6 get, some may call me a small club fan now, but id settle for the championship tbh, decent teams, decent away trips.
  • Options
    England all day long
  • Options
    Charlton all day long.

However, would love to see England smash the absolute granny out of Belgium in a World Cup final.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Scoham said:

Yes.
  • Options
    Its Charlton for me.

The England Hopefuls played against Charlton at the Valley in a training match on 1/11/54.

Pictured: England manager Walter Winterbottom in half time discussion with Stanley Matthews (captain) and Roy Bentley. I don't know what the score was, but boy they look worried - those were the days eh?

• Options
    Been supporting Charlton for over 50 years and will always put them over England..

1st Charlton return to the premiership.

2nd Charlton win FA Cup

3rd England win the Ashes.

4th England win world cup.
  • Options
    England have been shit for most of my lifetime and will probably continue to be so for the rest of it.

Charlton winning brings me more joy than England winning does so I would prefer Charlton won the FA Cup and/or returned to the Premier League over England winning the World Cup.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Normally Charlton but right now England. But I feel disconnected from both of them.
  • Options
    1. Charlton win the Prem
    2. England win world cup
    3. England win Euros
    4. Charlton FA Cup
    5. Charlton promoted to Prem
  • Options
    Charlton easily.

Seen England win a World Cup and it wasn’t all it’s cracked up to be ;-)
  • Options

Scoham said:

To reverse the question, would you swap World Cup 1966 for Charlton getting promoted to the first division that season?
    Yes
  • Options

in order of preference
    england winning the world cup.
    charlton winning the fa cup
    england winning the euros
    charlton back to prem

I'd much rather be back in the premier league than win the FA cup tbh
    WTF?
    Wigan won the FA cup very recently, no one gives shit and they are in league 1, I’d rather be Newcastle than Wigan for example
    :neutral:

No one gives a shit that they won the cup? How far this go, is it better to be Bournmouth than two time European Cup winners Forest for example? Do you prefer to take photographs of a leading premiership player taking a corner than a cup final day out at Wembley?
    You realise this wasn't the question i originally asked? i wasn't asking which club would you rather be... and the European cup is a great deal more significant than the FA cup
  • Options
    I would not cross the road to watch England.

I am English and proud of it, but Charlton are my team and I have the emotional attachment.
  • Options
    Sky Bet have stolen my bloody question
  • Options
    Charlton all day long.
  • Options
    Sadly the majority of people on here have never experienced a bit of national team success. There is nothing like it. Although I was alive in '66 I was too young to appreciate, as I was in '70 too. I then had to wait until 1982 for us to appear in a WC Finals. After a bright start we faded away as the goals dried up. '86 was the other way round as we improved as the tournament went on. I felt sick when we lost to the Argies but the excitement of a 1/4 final was unbelievable. Italia 90 was the peak, again a slow poor start but the last minute winner against Belgium, the up and down 1/4 V Cameroon and the heart wrenching semi gave me the best football memories ever. Of course Euro 96 was great but it was just a Euro and not a World Cup. I fully understand anyone under the age of 35 having little interest in international football from an England fans perspective as we have failed to deliver time and time again. However those wonderful feelings of seeing England get so close all those years ago still makes me yearn for more and would always put country success over club (if I had one!).
  • Options
    England did very well in 2002 in my opinion, lost to the eventual winners and it was a goalkeeping mistake
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'd rather win the treble - the Prediction League, the Prediction Knock Out Cup and Beat the Bookie - than any of this promotion or England winning World Cup nonsense.
  • Options
    England - even though I have no affinity with any of the current generation and actually end up disliking most of the players and have done for years, I'm a patriotic guy and I've travelled all over the world watching them, so need some reward.

People picking a return to the prem over winning the FA Cup..... My god the game is dead.

In the words of radiohead I think "I don't belong here".
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Sadly the majority of people on here have never experienced a bit of national team success. There is nothing like it. Although I was alive in '66 I was too young to appreciate, as I was in '70 too. I then had to wait until 1982 for us to appear in a WC Finals. After a bright start we faded away as the goals dried up. '86 was the other way round as we improved as the tournament went on. I felt sick when we lost to the Argies but the excitement of a 1/4 final was unbelievable. Italia 90 was the peak, again a slow poor start but the last minute winner against Belgium, the up and down 1/4 V Cameroon and the heart wrenching semi gave me the best football memories ever. Of course Euro 96 was great but it was just a Euro and not a World Cup. I fully understand anyone under the age of 35 having little interest in international football from an England fans perspective as we have failed to deliver time and time again. However those wonderful feelings of seeing England get so close all those years ago still makes me yearn for more and would always put country success over club (if I had one!).

Unlike the unbridled success they would have seen at Charlton?

You're also under playing how good Euro '96 was.
  • Options
    edited November 2017

Riviera said:

Unlike the unbridled success they would have seen at Charlton?

You're also under playing how good Euro '96 was.
    a ) I'm not Charlton (or any club fan)
    b) Euro 96 was great but it wasn't a WC.
    c) To be fair I think I pointed out both these facts in my post.
  • Options
    Charlton always.

Why have we failed in the Cup(s) so continuously since 1947.........?
  • Options

Been supporting Charlton for over 50 years and will always put them over England..

1st Charlton return to the premiership.

2nd Charlton win FA Cup

3rd England win the Ashes.

4th England win world cup.

This exactly the same for me. Perhaps I'd have the FA cup as top (imagine winning it a second time before Palarse or Scum win their first).

Getting to the premiership for me is less about being in the prem than the getting there. Being champions/ runners up/ Wembley winners. That's what it's about. And for me that's the pinnacle.

Being in the prem isn't that much of a pull for more. Sure there is the novelty of a full valley and some big away games and the chance of a giant killing. Which would all be great. I think the novelty will wear off pretty quickly and i don't fancy more than 2 seasons of hoping to scrape together enough draws to avoid relegation. For me if rather a year or 2 of that then get relegated but manage to keep the core of a good young squad and bounce straight back up.

If much rather be a yoyo team than a team that just manages to stay up each year. At least you'd have that season where you were actually good in between.
  • Options
    Charlton...but then again I support Scotland.

But even then it's Charlton over all others.