Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

KR on our new striker Naby Sarr

12346»

Comments

• Options

Sage said:

There are a lot of accepted facts in football, many are around height. There is a lot of compelling evidence to show that the height of keepers is not as important as coaches in this country especially think for instance. Sarr is possibly a player who is a centre half because of his height rather than the way he plays. Maybe somebody needs to take a step back. Tall players tend to lack touch, but he is above average there. Playing him in midfield - or at least working on that with him, allows you to have extra height in the team which helps with set pieces too. I don't think it is something football is good at - just some enlightened coaches scattered around.

I definitely do think he is in the wrong position. Yes he has all the attributes to be a top centre half if he works on his weaknesses and as Bowyer said, becomes more nasty/aggressive. But he does have the ability to move further forward.

However, what that would require is a lot of coaching and a lot of fitness work as he would be running so much more in midfield for example than he would at centre half.

It would need time to get used to, but he would remind me in a way of Kerkar, an unorthodox type of player, but put him up front and he would beat most defenders in this league in the air, he is better than many with his feet, and isn’t slow when he gets going. I genuinely think he could be an option, especially if we needed to be more direct. Get players close to him and he would cause problems.

And if he can continue to finish like he did last night, well, I know where my money is going on top goalscorer :wink:
    Yes, you would have to work with the player. And some players are open and some are not. Marshall for me could be a great wing back at this level and Sarr a great midfielder - but only if they want it and are willing to work towards it. I would want to see fitness and strength in Sarr's game, alongside his comfort on the ball. Those are things that you can add easier than talent IMO.
    How on earth could a piss poor back up league one centre half become a "great" midfielder ?
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

YTS1978 said:

Scoham said:
    Pure class! Where did that come from?!
    Always said he's the messiah.
    I never did, he’s looked rubbish every time I’ve seen him.
  • Options

Sarr as DM.

The new Alou Diarra. :smile:

• Options
    edited July 2018
    wmcf123 said:

Sage said:

There are a lot of accepted facts in football, many are around height. There is a lot of compelling evidence to show that the height of keepers is not as important as coaches in this country especially think for instance. Sarr is possibly a player who is a centre half because of his height rather than the way he plays. Maybe somebody needs to take a step back. Tall players tend to lack touch, but he is above average there. Playing him in midfield - or at least working on that with him, allows you to have extra height in the team which helps with set pieces too. I don't think it is something football is good at - just some enlightened coaches scattered around.

I definitely do think he is in the wrong position. Yes he has all the attributes to be a top centre half if he works on his weaknesses and as Bowyer said, becomes more nasty/aggressive. But he does have the ability to move further forward.

However, what that would require is a lot of coaching and a lot of fitness work as he would be running so much more in midfield for example than he would at centre half.

It would need time to get used to, but he would remind me in a way of Kerkar, an unorthodox type of player, but put him up front and he would beat most defenders in this league in the air, he is better than many with his feet, and isn’t slow when he gets going. I genuinely think he could be an option, especially if we needed to be more direct. Get players close to him and he would cause problems.

And if he can continue to finish like he did last night, well, I know where my money is going on top goalscorer :wink:
    Yes, you would have to work with the player. And some players are open and some are not. Marshall for me could be a great wing back at this level and Sarr a great midfielder - but only if they want it and are willing to work towards it. I would want to see fitness and strength in Sarr's game, alongside his comfort on the ball. Those are things that you can add easier than talent IMO.
    How on earth could a piss poor back up league one centre half become a "great" midfielder ?
    I said at league one level. It is about attributes. Completely different level I know, but I coach in youth football and a lot of lads don't understand their best positions. Some are open to suggestions others are too set in their ways. Thierry was a great winger, but when Wenger converted him to a striker he became a legendary player. It doesn't always work and isn't always right, but is always worth a try IMO.
  • Options
    Kishishev was bought as a right back and got moved to centre mid. Maggenis started his career as a goalkeeper. It can happen.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

Sage said:

Because he has attributes that suit a midfielder (speed, power and passing) but because of his size he's been lumped into defence which exacerbates his weaknesses (the occasional brain fart and tendency to wander.) he's never going to be the new Makalele or Kante but at this level I think he'd suit a midfield role.
  • Options

Kishishev was bought as a right back and got moved to centre mid. Maggenis started his career as a goalkeeper. It can happen.

Didn't work with Magennis he should have stayed in goal.
    Found him! This season's scapegoat.

Lucky escape for Dillon Phillips/Nicky Ajose/Mark Marshall.

• Options
    Killer was a full back, and who was the lengendary CB who joined as a striker?
  • Options
    I seem to vaguely remember ronnie moore and arthur horsefield playing centre half or am i mistaken
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I think he was always more of a defensive midfielder anyway

Darren Pitcher was similar, a defensive midfielder, who could play RB, but wasn't very good there
  • Options
    I think Bowyer hit the nail on the head when he said that he has to work on his nasty side.

For me Sarr has always been bullied on the pitch when playing in defence, despite being the big unit that he is. I'm not sure that the required 'nastiness' is within him, or even if it can be taught. I would love to be proved wrong though, because he can pick out a pass and on occasion look quite an accomplished footballer. I wish good luck to Naby, because at 24 he is at a crossroads and his career could go either way.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Got plenty of stick last season too, mainly due to him being a bit shit
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Only one scapegoat oggy and that is Roland
  • Options
    Wasn’t Jon fortune a striker in the youth teams or did I make that up
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

From The limited games I've seen, hes not a scapegoat, he's just a bit shit.
  • Options

I think Bowyer hit the nail on the head when he said that he has to work on his nasty side.

For me Sarr has always been bullied on the pitch when playing in defence, despite being the big unit that he is. I'm not sure that the required 'nastiness' is within him, or even if it can be taught. I would love to be proved wrong though, because he can pick out a pass and on occasion look quite an accomplished footballer. I wish good luck to Naby, because at 24 he is at a crossroads and his career could go either way.

He should go and train with Fellaini. Sarr could be even better at messing up opponents if he added half the bite the nasty Fellaini fellow has.
  • Options

clive said:
    Bowyer talking complete sense again. I still can't get my head around one fan saying he's out of his depth.
    He’s the kind of defender who might (arguably) drop a clanger that’ll cost you a goal.
    He’s also the kind of defender that can get forward and create or score one too.
    That makes him exciting to watch in my eyes.
  • Options
    https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5b5849516ad4c/naby-sarr-lyle-taylor-wants-to-turn-me-into-jason-pearce

Hoping this is just about acquiring a mean streak, not hoofing it to the opposition.

I'm less concerned by his apparent niceness than his concentration. If he cuts out the mistakes, he'd be fine.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Vincenzo said:

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5b5849516ad4c/naby-sarr-lyle-taylor-wants-to-turn-me-into-jason-pearce

Hoping this is just about acquiring a mean streak, not hoofing it to the opposition.

I'm less concerned by his apparent niceness than his concentration. If he cuts out the mistakes, he'd be fine.

If he cuts out the mistakes he’ll be sold.
  • Options
    As he said ^^^
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

clive said:
    Bowyer talking complete sense again. I still can't get my head around one fan saying he's out of his depth.
    He’s the kind of defender who might (arguably) drop a clanger that’ll cost you a goal.
    He’s also the kind of defender that can get forward and create or score one too.
    Exciting is one way of describing it.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    What I would say to him is, you don't have to be nasty per se, just give back what others give to you and your team mates (like Shrewsbury) and you will be fine. It isn't nasty giving it back, its being fair.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Well after that goal on Tuesday night, the club must have thought he can now get his chance up front, hence agreeing to sell Magennis! :wink:
  • Options

JamesSeed said:

clive said:
    Exciting is one way of describing it.
    I know where you're coming from. It's not quite le mot juste. Perhaps I meant life shortening?
  • Options
    edited July 2018

Wasn’t Jon fortune a striker in the youth teams or did I make that up

Jon dropped back to defence so we could say Young Brown Fish Costa Fortune.
    Or Young Powell Fish Costa Fortune.

Shame because JF was a prolific scorer !