Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Karlan Ahearne Grant

2456

Comments

  • J BLOCK said:

    He'll be playing non league within 2 years

    Surprised he ain’t already. Proper gets my goat seeing him parade around with his Range Rover like Billy big bollocks when he’s achieved diddly squat.
  • How many first team games had Parker played for us at 20?
  • For whatever reason it doesn’t seem to be working for him at Charlton at the moment. Every time I see him play I end up thinking that’s the last time he will get a game, which is a bit harsh I accept. I think he needs a prolonged spell on loan elsewhere where he can get regular games and find his shooting boots.

    Has he ever been loaned out, that would certainly be a good idea, he just doesn’t cut it at the moment.
  • Cafc43v3r said:

    How many first team games had Parker played for us at 20?

    In 2000/01 season he played a total of 31 times, scoring twice but he was never meant to be in the team to be scoring. At the age of 20, Parker had played 60 times between the premier league and championship. KAG has played 53 times, scoring 3 at the same age in lower divisions.

    But let’s be honest, it would be silly to compare KAG with Parker.
  • For whatever reason it doesn’t seem to be working for him at Charlton at the moment. Every time I see him play I end up thinking that’s the last time he will get a game, which is a bit harsh I accept. I think he needs a prolonged spell on loan elsewhere where he can get regular games and find his shooting boots.

    Has he ever been loaned out, that would certainly be a good idea, he just doesn’t cut it at the moment.
    He had a short spell in League 2 with Cambridge that didn't work out.
  • Personally think people are being a bit harsh on Karlan. He's been around the fringes of the first team for a while, but that has often been because we have had injuries/and or lacked squad depth in those attacking positions. He has started very few games and been shifted around out wide and through the middle. When he made his debut, even established senior players were struggling to shine such was the poisonous atmosphere around the place at that time.

    Worth remembering that he is only the same age as someone like Lapslie or Umerah, and younger than the likes of Aribo, Barnes and Dijksteel. Its too early to write any of those players off and the same goes for Karlan, imho.

    Maybe so, but to me he definitely looks like he'd benefit from a loan spell in LeagueTwo or below. Score a few and find a way of playing that works with his strongest skills.
  • Valley11 said:

    Personally think people are being a bit harsh on Karlan. He's been around the fringes of the first team for a while, but that has often been because we have had injuries/and or lacked squad depth in those attacking positions. He has started very few games and been shifted around out wide and through the middle. When he made his debut, even established senior players were struggling to shine such was the poisonous atmosphere around the place at that time.

    Worth remembering that he is only the same age as someone like Lapslie or Umerah, and younger than the likes of Aribo, Barnes and Dijksteel. Its too early to write any of those players off and the same goes for Karlan, imho.

    Maybe so, but to me he definitely looks like he'd benefit from a loan spell in LeagueTwo or below. Score a few and find a way of playing that works with his strongest skills.
    Time away from the club on loan may well do him good. Nothing wrong with suggesting that, I have more issue with those posters keen to confine his career to the scrap heap already.
  • His situation reminds me of what happened with Joe Piggott who is now scoring regularly for Maidstone. KAG has the physique to be a good strong centre forward but he appears to have reached his peak without being able to realise his full potential. Agree that he is better than Dodoo but think he will learn more and learn quicker by playing regularly for a leading non league team than by being "comfortable" in the reserves (or whatever they are known as these days), maybe Sutton United or even Ebbsfleet. He needs to realise that if he scores goals he can make a lucrative career for himself but that even at his young age, time is fast running out unless he has no ambition. A Nicholas Bendtner in the making, good but not good enough.
  • Sponsored links:


  • He needs to be sent out on loan in January, regular first team football, rather than cameos from the bench or in cup games, though I can't see L2 clubs fighting over a striker who hasn't scored for 2 years
  • J BLOCK said:

    He'll be playing non league within 2 years

    He'll be lucky. Absolute jank.
  • Funnily enough I played against him when he was in the academy a few years back.
    Was the biggest and strongest lad on the pitch by some way, but even then his finishing was surprisingly average I thought considering he was supposed to be the next star striker out the academy.

    You could also tell he thought he was already something special too. Think it's a case of he's a striker who needs to be a big fish in a small pond to flourish , and that wont be with us sadly.
  • J BLOCK said:

    He'll be playing non league within 2 years

    He'll be lucky. Absolute jank.
    Agreed, every time he comes on, the game is gone
  • sam3110 said:

    I think he's too cocky, he seems to have a confidence and a swagger about him that doesn't match his goalscoring record

    That's why Cambridge sent him back from loan a couple of seasons ago
  • How about some respect for one of our own? I suspect his confidence is already low. Just hope he doesn't open this thread but suspect he already has. good work.

    If he isn't good enough, he isn't good enough. It shouldn't matter whether he is one of our own or a foreign import.

    I don't rate him at all. He needs to work on areas of his game before he can play even in this league. Having said that, of course he is young and was thrown in at the deep end. Now Marshall and Reeves are back, he isn't going to get any game time in attacking midfield. If we sort the striker situation out in January, he needs a loan.
  • I rate Karlan and think he will go on to be a good player. Definitely can play at championship level if he fulfils his potential.

    He suffered from being thrown in too early and he suffered as much as anyone if not more than most from the shambles of the last 3 and a half years old. He has been considered part of the first team squad for a few years but that's only really been because we've been woefully short of cover.

    He has played under too many managers and too many systems and is still so young.

    Doesn't fit our current system and has been forced out wide.

    Think all of this has knocked his confidence. What he needs is a run of games some goals and some confidence.

    I would recall Umerah in Jan and switch him for KAG (assuming Wycombe will take him).
  • He's no Reeco but I think once he scores once he'll score more

    3 goals in 52 games would suggest otherwise.

    Dazzler21 said:

    KAG does a lot right, just not the important part - His finishing is awful at pro level

    Which goes to show the massive gulf between age group and senior side, he was scoring for fun for the u18s when he was 15/16 iirc
    He was on loan at Cambridge then wasn't he? Don't think he scored there.

    Dazzler21 said:

    KAG does a lot right, just not the important part - His finishing is awful at pro level

    Which goes to show the massive gulf between age group and senior side, he was scoring for fun for the u18s when he was 15/16 iirc
    Karl commented on this at Bromley Addicks and said he has changed and wants to be a winger with tricks rather than just goals. I am sure KR did say he sees enough in him to want to try and work on him.
    I thought it was said (by maybe Henry was it?) in the post Bromley Addicks meeting thread that Karl wants to get back to using him as a forward?
  • Dazzler21 said:

    He's no Reeco but I think once he scores once he'll score more

    3 goals in 52 games would suggest otherwise.

    Dazzler21 said:

    KAG does a lot right, just not the important part - His finishing is awful at pro level

    Which goes to show the massive gulf between age group and senior side, he was scoring for fun for the u18s when he was 15/16 iirc
    He was on loan at Cambridge then wasn't he? Don't think he scored there.

    Dazzler21 said:

    KAG does a lot right, just not the important part - His finishing is awful at pro level

    Which goes to show the massive gulf between age group and senior side, he was scoring for fun for the u18s when he was 15/16 iirc
    Karl commented on this at Bromley Addicks and said he has changed and wants to be a winger with tricks rather than just goals. I am sure KR did say he sees enough in him to want to try and work on him.
    I thought it was said (by maybe Henry was it?) in the post Bromley Addicks meeting thread that Karl wants to get back to using him as a forward?
    Yes I did
  • Sponsored links:


  • edited November 2017
    I really hope that he makes it but he has looked woefully inadequate every time I’ve seen him play this season.

    Some kids are bigger and stronger than their peers and look outstanding then when they move up (or their peers mature and grow) they look more average.

    I haven’t seen anything to make me want to see him play for us again. I hope I’m wrong but he doesn’t look anywhere near good enough to me.
  • How about some respect for one of our own? I suspect his confidence is already low. Just hope he doesn't open this thread but suspect he already has. good work.

    You earn respect.

    I'm fed up of people thinking they're entitled to respect, when they have done nothing to deserve it.

    Karlan simply isn't doing well enough right now and unless something changes, no one will want to snap up a failed league 1 striker with a 1 in 17 goalscoring record.
  • Made his debut at Bournemouth in October '14.

    If he has not established himself by now I don't think he ever will. I do concede that the constant changing of managers would have possibly hindered his development.
  • never gonna be good enough for our first team.....no idea what his 'level' would be. Suspect he might get a few for Welling
  • Made his debut at Bournemouth in October '14.

    If he has not established himself by now I don't think he ever will. I do concede that the constant changing of managers would have possibly hindered his development.

    That’s a fresh opportunity/clean slate each time a new manager takes over to make a claim to get in the side
  • Cafc43v3r said:

    How many first team games had Parker played for us at 20?

    26

  • Was his short spell at Norwich also before he was 20 years of age ?
  • Was his short spell at Norwich also before he was 20 years of age ?

    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Scott+Parker+Norwich+Loan
  • I rate Karlan and think he will go on to be a good player. Definitely can play at championship level if he fulfils his potential.

    He suffered from being thrown in too early and he suffered as much as anyone if not more than most from the shambles of the last 3 and a half years old. He has been considered part of the first team squad for a few years but that's only really been because we've been woefully short of cover.

    He has played under too many managers and too many systems and is still so young.

    Doesn't fit our current system and has been forced out wide.

    Think all of this has knocked his confidence. What he needs is a run of games some goals and some confidence.

    I would recall Umerah in Jan and switch him for KAG (assuming Wycombe will take him).

    I really don't think this will be the case. He'll be like Joe Piggot and find his level at non-league.

    He made his first team debut in 2014, I don't think he deserves extra slack for coming through the academy, he's had enough time to prove himself.

  • I have to say I barely notice him when he plays.
Sign In or Register to comment.