Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton vs Truro: Post Match views

124»

Comments

• Options

Am I the only one who found their regular singing of "Your support is effing shit" and "Your ground's too big for you" a little bit beyond banter?

One or two times would be banter in my eyes, but they must have sung each one 3 or 4 times at least in each half. There was a lot of pointing at our fans nearest them when singing "Your support is effing shit" ......personally didn't think it was necessary.

Our vocal support was completely missing due to the quality of the oppo..... i.e. nothing for us to get excited about.

Bit like our fans singing “you’re shit and you know you are” at FC Halifax in 2011?
    i think it's the first game of football at 1st team level i have been to that i haven't heard us sing one song!
  • Options

The Truro players are, professionally, menders of fishing nets. Sports coaches in a polytechnic over the border, a long way from Plymouth. A hairdresser. A man released from Weymouth. His brother runs a building firm in Weston-super-Mare.

We were appalling for the entire first half yesterday. Forster-Caskey shoots like a rugger player, high between the posts for Penzance & Newlyn. Marshall, cutting in, hammers a shot that skims the corner flag. Here comes Johnnie! - the Peoples' Hero. Jackson scuffs it, ball dribbles off.

Meanwhile, our sideways passes are dreary and conceited. A vague idea that something might happen. Watch closely, and one of them has to stretch back to receive the ball from Dad to toddler in the back garden. Solly receives, looks up for a striker. No movement up front. Solly slams it against the defender; ricochets off for a throw. Man has ball over head, poised – yet our players are stricken, miles away.

Marshall makes clever sprints off the ball, darting ten yards from touchline to edge of box, yet our men are perfectly happy to pootle along the halfway line. They fish for crabs from Perranporth and Polperro.

Half-time. Robinson will give them a rocket.

Holmes is the best player in our squad, seizing the ball in defence, taking it forward to the attack, setting up a cross. Get Marshall more involved. DaSilva is a very good player: there was a lovely vignette in the second half when he extricated us from a bumbling defensive morass: sent the ball across the edge of our box – counter-intuitive and against all received rules – to set up free play on the right. DaSilva is superb going forward, too, quick feet and passes with Fosu, in on goal.

When the shot is saved or goes wide, DaSilva doesn't throw a hissy fit, doesn't slump, or charge back and hack down his opponent. He is open and alert, ready to receive. Positive and quick.

No-one at The Valley yesterday saw Dodoo do anything. We need strikers. Of course it's a cliché to say the amateurs will tire after 70 minutes – yet Truro got better. Excellent forward moves on the wing, accurate crosses to our six-yard box. Danger here – and again. With a bullet header, the hairdresser scored!

My neighbour turned to me and said: “Can you imagine Ahearne-Grant doing that?”

I agree - a good comparison is what Chrissy Powell's team did away at Halifax who were then at the same level as Truro.
  • Options

A few harsh comments on Marshall from some.

Wouldn’t judge Marshall on this performance. Tried too hard to show what he’s about but nowhere up to match sharpness yet, only showed glimpses of what he can do.

Hope fans don’t get on his back as he gets game time in and makes mistakes before he’s 100% fit.

I know Charlton fans have previous, but it would me absolutely mental for anyone to judge Marshall yet. The bloke is nowhere near match sharp.
    Agree. He didn't have a great game and his shooting was way off (even the goal took a huge deflection) but he's still working his way back. He looked much sharper when he came on v Wimbledon.
    At least the deflected shot was on target before the deflection.
    Wimbledon were looking for an equaliser when Marshall was on, and left a bit more space at the back.
  • Options

The Truro players are, professionally, menders of fishing nets. Sports coaches in a polytechnic over the border, a long way from Plymouth. A hairdresser. A man released from Weymouth. His brother runs a building firm in Weston-super-Mare.

We were appalling for the entire first half yesterday. Forster-Caskey shoots like a rugger player, high between the posts for Penzance & Newlyn. Marshall, cutting in, hammers a shot that skims the corner flag. Here comes Johnnie! - the Peoples' Hero. Jackson scuffs it, ball dribbles off.

Meanwhile, our sideways passes are dreary and conceited. A vague idea that something might happen. Watch closely, and one of them has to stretch back to receive the ball from Dad to toddler in the back garden. Solly receives, looks up for a striker. No movement up front. Solly slams it against the defender; ricochets off for a throw. Man has ball over head, poised – yet our players are stricken, miles away.

Marshall makes clever sprints off the ball, darting ten yards from touchline to edge of box, yet our men are perfectly happy to pootle along the halfway line. They fish for crabs from Perranporth and Polperro.

Holmes is the best player in our squad, seizing the ball in defence, taking it forward to the attack, setting up a cross. Get Marshall more involved. DaSilva is a very good player: there was a lovely vignette in the second half when he extricated us from a bumbling defensive morass: sent the ball across the edge of our box – counter-intuitive and against all received rules – to set up free play on the right. DaSilva is superb going forward, too, quick feet and passes with Fosu, in on goal.

When the shot is saved or goes wide, DaSilva doesn't throw a hissy fit, doesn't slump, or charge back and hack down his opponent. He is open and alert, ready to receive. Positive and quick.

No-one at The Valley yesterday saw Dodoo do anything. We need strikers. Of course it's a cliché to say the amateurs will tire after 70 minutes – yet Truro got better. Excellent forward moves on the wing, accurate crosses to our six-yard box. Danger here – and again. With a bullet header, the hairdresser scored!

I thought that was a very negative post re the 1st Half. I thought we played pretty well throughout the match & 1st half created a few chances (funny how you didn't mention Reeves' goal) JFC hit the bar & Holmes had his free kick tipped round the post. Yes, Marshall's 2 shots in that half weren't good (the first one especially was probably one of the worst shots I've seen ) but practice makes perfect & he did that with his goal. Yes, it may have been deflected, but if you don't buy a ticket you wont win the raffle, and it was on target before it got deflected.

I've not a defender of AHG or Dodoo, but neither got any service yesterday & certainly not a cross that they could head at goal.
  • Options

Funny how these teams keep showing up at the Valley, show us how to play football, but leave having lost the game.
    Glad you noticed that too.
  • Options
    Watched the highlights yesterday. Dodoo's body language tells a story; He seemed to regularly take up good positions in attacking areas, only to be ignored, and he looked increasingly downhearted as the match went on.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Watched the highlights yesterday. Dodoo's body language tells a story; He seemed to regularly take up good positions in attacking areas, only to be ignored, and he looked increasingly downhearted as the match went on.

I noticed this at the time. His positioning was good and a couple of occasions he was on for a tap in but we chose to ignore him and shoot. I thought that generally he showed for the ball and laid it off quite well whilst being surrounded by defenders (1st half Truro had 5 at the back when we were in their half). Maybe it would have been better for him if he'd come on as sub when the game opened out and he could've used his pace against a higher, less densely populated back-line but somebody had to start.

He shouldn't let his head go down and keep plugging away. He hasn't featured much at all but does have a couple of goals, which possibly equals Lee Novak's total for last season?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The guy in grey is loving it
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

My thought exactly. Why bother coming along, unless he was a Truro supporter (which I doubt).
  • Options
    Clearly the new owners.
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

My thought exactly. Why bother coming along, unless he was a Truro supporter (which I doubt).
    Is it RD in disguise?