Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton vs Truro: Post Match views

Comments

• Options
    Hard to judge too much from an unusual game but I come to the following conclusions:

1) Dodoo is awful and shouldn't appear again
    2) Jay Da Silva is a class act
    3) I'm happier with Bauer and especially Kashi in the side
  • Options
    Seen too many Cup debacles over the years so happy with the application we showed. I thought Tyler Harvey's all round game and touch was excellent but as stated his career to date suggests he doesn't play like that every week. This is a good goal though (4 mins in)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usHHvgZFTA8&t=245s
  • Options
    One thing I did notice today (don’t want a debate on the rights & wrongs) but we had no poppy on our shirts, either was due to be worn at Shrewsbury next weekend, or club decision to have no shirts altered/made.
  • Options
    I was surprised we didn't have a minutes silence for Remembrance Sunday as we were due to be away next week,

Some (maybe all) of the Premiership had one last week.
  • Options
    PWW (posting without watching)

Didn’t have a few beers in the Lib before the game. Truro battled bravely. We should have scored more as Truro tired. Dodoo didn’t do much. Holmes looked classy. Their centre forward looked useful. Sare looked shaky first half. The ground look desolate and lacked atmosphere except for the enthusiasm of the travelling fans. All in all, a comfortable win. Can’t wait for the draw.
  • Options
    DA9 said:

One thing I did notice today (don’t want a debate on the rights & wrongs) but we had no poppy on our shirts, either was due to be worn at Shrewsbury next weekend, or club decision to have no shirts altered/made.

iaitch said:

I was surprised we didn't have a minutes silence for Remembrance Sunday as we were due to be away next week,

Some (maybe all) of the Premiership had one last week.

Was it Henry Irving who said that Armed Forces Day will be on the 18th against MK Dons

Maybe our bit will be done then
  • Options
    DA9 said:

wearing them on the 18th apparently, I guess when the crowd will be bigger etc (well...slightly bigger)
  • Options
    A few harsh comments on Marshall from some.

Wouldn’t judge Marshall on this performance. Tried too hard to show what he’s about but nowhere up to match sharpness yet, only showed glimpses of what he can do.

Hope fans don’t get on his back as he gets game time in and makes mistakes before he’s 100% fit.
  • Options
    DA9 said:

@DA9 Armed forces day is 18 November v MK Dons where various events are planned (including one by the museum as it happens).

I assume that is when they will wear the poppy shirts.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Wouldn’t judge Marshall on this performance. Tried too hard to show what he’s about but nowhere up to match sharpness yet, only showed glimpses of what he can do.

Hope fans don’t get on his back as he gets game time in and makes mistakes before he’s 100% fit.

I know Charlton fans have previous, but it would me absolutely mental for anyone to judge Marshall yet. The bloke is nowhere near match sharp.
    Agreed....and he was up against a well organised team that had all 11 behind the ball for long periods. He'll be ok.

Those BBC stats say we only had 58% possession. Felt more like 78%.

All three of our bookings were daft.

Reeves looks like the player who can un-lock a defence....a couple of very nice balls into the box....and he's a very good finisher.
  • Options

I know Charlton fans have previous, but it would me absolutely mental for anyone to judge Marshall yet. The bloke is nowhere near match sharp.
    Agree. He didn't have a great game and his shooting was way off (even the goal took a huge deflection) but he's still working his way back. He looked much sharper when he came on v Wimbledon.
  • Options
    Enjoyed the novelty of playing a team from Cornwall.
    Loved it when they sang ' You dirty Northern so and so's
    Shame there isn't a replay.
  • Options
    Would like us to take that Harvey bloke on trial, see how he does in our U23's. Looked a proper player - could easily be back up to Big Mag.
  • Options
    Proper cup tie, actually really enjoyed it. A few hairy moments but it's to be expected in these games. Most played well, Marshall struggled in spells but the more games under his belt the better at the minute. Doodo didn't look great, but again game time can only be a good thing for him as he is the only back up for Josh. What's going on with Aribo, does Robinson not like him or have they had a bust up? There is no way Jackson should have started ahead of him yesterday.
  • Options

DA9 said:

@DA9 Armed forces day is 18 November v MK Dons where various events are planned (including one by the museum as it happens).

Don’t need a standard bearer do you?
    :-)
  • Options
    DA9 said:

DA9 said:

Don’t need a standard bearer do you?
    :-)
    I'll inbox you.
  • Options
    Will keep my observations as brief as possible:

- We were happy to play in first gear; clicked into second gear when we needed; and we only very briefly played to anything near the standard we have done all season. We were definitely holding something in reserve.

- However, that's not to say we were complacent (perhaps with the exception of Sarr, or maybe he was having an off day - he misplaced six or seven passes in the first half). We were professional but restrained.

- What is clear though is that Dodoo and KAG are not good enough. Dodoo was clearly a last-minute deadline day signing; KAG... oh man, he looks like he should be so good but can't back it up.

- Reeves is a proper footballer. I think he was reining it in a bit, and still scored twice. Both his goals came from opportunities where, as the better side, we turned it on a little bit.

- Massive credit to Truro. No panicking; good movement of the football in long stretches; and the goal was well taken. Tyler Harvey has got 16 in 27, which suggests he's a division or two where he should be, but I'd consider signing him.

- Massive credit to both sets of fans - theirs for the noise; ours for applauding Truro.

In summary, two words: Job Done. On to Round 2 please - glad we got through yesterday without injuries and with a relatively weakened side.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Am I the only one who found their regular singing of "Your support is effing shit" and "Your ground's too big for you" a little bit beyond banter?

One or two times would be banter in my eyes, but they must have sung each one 3 or 4 times at least in each half. There was a lot of pointing at our fans nearest them when singing "Your support is effing shit" ......personally didn't think it was necessary.

Our vocal support was completely missing due to the quality of the oppo..... i.e. nothing for us to get excited about.
  • Options
    Good afternoon, and good match, mainly due to the secobd half, which opened up when they began to press. Truro and their fans gave a good account of themselves, while we were a little restrained. We were a bit slow to get forward, especially first half, and a numver of times our forwards tried to run through only to be ignored by the ball being played sideways. But gripes are few. We won, and if they gave us some real scares, we could have had more with better shooting and decision making.
    Finally great to meet @viewfinder afyer the match for a chat about football, art and politics. Hoping for a good draw now. Good luck to Truro, except next week when Dartford are down there.
  • Options
    edited November 2017

Am I the only one who found their regular singing of "Your support is effing shit" and "Your ground's too big for you" a little bit beyond banter?

One or two times would be banter in my eyes, but they must have sung each one 3 or 4 times at least in each half. There was a lot of pointing at our fans nearest them when singing "Your support is effing shit" ......personally didn't think it was necessary.

Our vocal support was completely missing due to the quality of the oppo..... i.e. nothing for us to get excited about.

Bit like our fans singing “you’re shit and you know you are” at FC Halifax in 2011?
  • Options

Good afternoon, and good match, mainly due to the secobd half, which opened up when they began to press. Truro and their fans gave a good account of themselves, while we were a little restrained. We were a bit slow to get forward, especially first half, and a numver of times our forwards tried to run through only to be ignored by the ball being played sideways. But gripes are few. We won, and if they gave us some real scares, we could have had more with better shooting and decision making.
    Finally great to meet @viewfinder afyer the match for a chat about football, art and politics. Hoping for a good draw now. Good luck to Truro, except next week when Dartford are down there.

Does Viewfinder look and sound exactly like John McCririck? Because that's how I imagine him
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Does Viewfinder look and sound exactly like John McCririck? Because that's how I imagine him
    I imagine him to be like the late Brian Sewell...
  • Options
    Good shout as well
  • Options

I thought the same thing Arry-they spent more time taking the piss out of us and our empty ground / lack of atmosphere / questionable surrounding areas than they did getting behind their team. It did start to grate after a while.
  • Options
    idk, in their position I'd have probably done the same. They only get to take the piss out of a club with a big stadium once every....well, not very often
  • Options
    edited November 2017

Doesn’t help when you have the north upper and east stand shut ( we all know the East Stand sing the loudest......).
  • Options
    McCartney said:

Seen too many Cup debacles over the years so happy with the application we showed. I thought Tyler Harvey's all round game and touch was excellent but as stated his career to date suggests he doesn't play like that every week. This is a good goal though (4 mins in)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usHHvgZFTA8&t=245s

IMO if i were KR, i'd give the kid a trial, would cost peanuts and he made Dodoo look like he was the non-league forward.