Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Overhauling your diet

Comments

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

You're a Vegan aren't you?

With a profile called Stevelamb I doubt it??
  • Options
    Just over 3 weeks ago i went vegan/plant based/however you want to define it.

Im 10lbs lighter, my moods aren't erratic, my sleep cycle is better than its ever been. I haven't felt bloated or had a stomach ache. Ive never felt so good in myself.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

I eat a whole food plant based diet.
  • Options
    By the way @Stevelamb I am not referring to processed meats (I don't touch the stuff intentionally) Which is proven to increase the chances of cancer and type2 diabetes.

Non processed meats however are pretty safe.

https://blog.bulletproof.com/the-truth-about-red-meat-and-diabetes/
  • Options
    Stevelamb said:

Dazzler21 said:

So a MEGA Vegan - You don't even eat Oreo cookies unlike those pathetic 'just a Vegan' types. You won't touch processed foods at all.

https://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-24031/veganism-versus-a-whole-food-plantbased-diet-whats-the-difference.html
  • Options
    As you know I had heart problems recently (2014), slowly built my way back again. Then noticed I was putting on to much weight, so last week I went on the 5/2 diet, to date (9 days later) I have lost 1/2 a stone!!
    The 600 calories days, I did Monday and Friday last week and Monday this week, (my next day is tomorrow) were not as difficult as I thought they would be, - a cup of tea (semi-skimmed milk) in the morning with a boiled egg, plain chicken sandwich for lunch with fruit, a cuppa in the afternoon and grilled chicken skinless breast with 2 grilled tomatoes and boiled green beans for dinner (eaten before 6 pm). A glass of low calorie tonic water in the evening. On my 'normal' eating days, I have tried to keep below the 2400 calories (and been successful) by sticking to grilled meat (mainly chicken), cutting down on alcohol, walking 2 1/2 miles everyday by parking a mile from my office, and walking at lunchtime before sticking to low calorie lunches.
    I seem, so far, to have adapted to it and now, take today for example, I have had eggs for breakfast and soup for lunch. I need longer to see the overall effects and it will be more difficult when back on my travels again this month, but I have to say I do feel better and I'm sleeping better.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Stevelamb said:

Dazzler21 said:

So a MEGA Vegan - You don't even eat Oreo cookies unlike those pathetic 'just a Vegan' types. You won't touch processed foods at all.

https://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-24031/veganism-versus-a-whole-food-plantbased-diet-whats-the-difference.html
    This is correct.
  • Options

As you know I had heart problems recently (2014), slowly built my way back again. Then noticed I was putting on to much weight, so last week I went on the 5/2 diet, to date (9 days later) I have lost 1/2 a stone!!
    The 600 calories days, I did Monday and Friday last week and Monday this week, (my next day is tomorrow) were not as difficult as I thought they would be, - a cup of tea (semi-skimmed milk) in the morning with a boiled egg, plain chicken sandwich for lunch with fruit, a cuppa in the afternoon and grilled chicken skinless breast with 2 grilled tomatoes and boiled green beans for dinner (eaten before 6 pm). A glass of low calorie tonic water in the evening. On my 'normal' eating days, I have tried to keep below the 2400 calories (and been successful) by sticking to grilled meat (mainly chicken), cutting down on alcohol, walking 2 1/2 miles everyday by parking a mile from my office, and walking at lunchtime before sticking to low calorie lunches.
    I seem, so far, to have adapted to it and now, take today for example, I have had eggs for breakfast and soup for lunch. I need longer to see the overall effects and it will be more difficult when back on my travels again this month, but I have to say I do feel better and I'm sleeping better.

Please watch this if you can spare the time.

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/how-not-to-die/
  • Options

Just to clarify I don't add any sweeteners/yogurts/juice to my smoothies. Am I still consuming the equivalent of a full fat coke when I blitz one up? I'd heard that smoothies weren't as healthy as regular fruit consumption but I had no idea it was as bad as some on here seem to suggest.

Smoothies are laden with sugar and you also lose all the fibre from the fruit and veg. You're concentrating the sugar content from a lot of fruit - you couldn't eat this amount of fruit(and sugar) if you ate the whole fruit.

Far better for you to eat fruit and veg in their natural state.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Cut out the carbs - sugar obviously but also potatoes, bread, pasta and rice - no sweets or chocolate, biscuits or cakes - and bulk up on fruit, veg and proteins (fish, lean meat).

I've done three stone in the last 5 months :)

If I cut out all those I would starve !. I've lost a stone since February mainly by reducing dow on chocolate & cakes & then trying to eat more low calorie snakes. Also reduced potstoes to about twice a week......but I don't like pasta much & not into lentils , pulses or stuff like cous cous. Mainly smaller portions & cut down on the sugar. I'm not too bothered about my weight & not going to make myself unhappy by eating stuff I dont like.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

bobmunro said:

Cut out the carbs - sugar obviously but also potatoes, bread, pasta and rice - no sweets or chocolate, biscuits or cakes - and bulk up on fruit, veg and proteins (fish, lean meat).

If I cut out all those I would starve !. I've lost a stone since February mainly by reducing dow on chocolate & cakes & then trying to eat more low calorie snakes. Also reduced potstoes to about twice a week......but I don't like pasta much & not into lentils , pulses or stuff like cous cous. Mainly smaller portions & cut down on the sugar. I'm not too bothered about my weight & not going to make myself unhappy by eating stuff I dont like.
    I thought all snakes were low calorie, bit like chicken isn't it :smiley:
  • Options
    I am with golfie but for me everything in moderation. So I try not to drink alcohol at least 3 days a week, and moderate the amount of times I have the things that are supposedly bad for you. So fish and chips we have very occasionally as its something I really love, likewise Chinese takeaways etc. I know plenty of people who have gone for a drastic change of diet and started eating things they didn't really enjoy, the result being that in the first instance they lost loads of weight but gradually put it back on plus, plus.

I am not drastically overweight nor will I be confused with Jarvis Cocker but life is for living although I do fully agree that if a specific medical requirement arises then sure modify your behaviour.
  • Options
    edited November 2017

bobmunro said:

I thought all snakes were low calorie, bit like chicken isn't it :smiley:
    Their drumsticks have zero calories.
  • Options

I am with golfie but for me everything in moderation. So I try not to drink alcohol at least 3 days a week, and moderate the amount of times I have the things that are supposedly bad for you. So fish and chips we have very occasionally as its something I really love, likewise Chinese takeaways etc. I know plenty of people who have gone for a drastic change of diet and started eating things they didn't really enjoy, the result being that in the first instance they lost loads of weight but gradually put it back on plus, plus.

I am not drastically overweight nor will I be confused with Jarvis Cocker but life is for living although I do fully agree that if a specific medical requirement arises then sure modify your behaviour.</blockquo

Life is for living, so surely it is better to prevent disease rather than wait for it to arise.

• Options
    Stevelamb said:

I am not drastically overweight nor will I be confused with Jarvis Cocker but life is for living although I do fully agree that if a specific medical requirement arises then sure modify your behaviour.

Life is for living, so surely it is better to prevent disease rather than wait for it to arise.
    I'd rather live a happy life to 75/80 than a longer life miserable about what I am eating etc,
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Having trimmed a bit off recently since adapting to my new 30s metabolism, my advice is to actually not overhaul your diet (unless it's horrendous); because small, regular, sustainable changes are what make the difference - knowing what a healthy choice is and not deluding yourself about what you're eating/drinking. 'Regular' is the key, you'll repeat a healthy choice if you like it and it fits in with your lifestyle - very, very few people can just switch from habitual fry ups and takeaways to skinless chicken breasts and kale (just as an example) because you'll hate it and won't stick to it.

Things that I've found (am no dietitian by the way):
    1. Biggest one - cooking a bunch of lunches for the week on a Sunday evening and storing it up for the week --> chilli, spag bol, fajitas, curries... whatever you like... Even if it's not stereotypical 'diet' food, it's always better when you're in control of the ingredients and portions, particularly the sugar content.
    2. Save your indulgences for the weekend (inc. pub sessions/nights out) and keep it healthy in the week. Turn down after work beers unless you actually really want to go. Don't bother swapping a beer for a 'slimline G&T' - if you're cheating, make sure you enjoy it and register it.
    3. Midweek drinking is the biggest way to cut a tonne of calories out of your diet... unfortunately
    4. Use days you're exercising (e.g. 5-a-side in the evening) as an opportunity to cheat beforehand if you feel you want to, because you'll exercise better with the energy on board

There's no magic pill, but I find you need to enjoy food and if you overhaul too much there's no chance of it sticking. Tried nuts - don't like them so snuck chocolate, tried soup at lunch - made me ravenous at dinner so then I'd eat everything in sight etc.

• Options
    I think most people start to worry about their health a bit more as they get older and diet/exercise do keep you that bit healthier.

High blood pressure, heart disease and type 2 diabetes are much less likely with a healthy diet. A lot of kids now have a terrible diet....
  • Options
    Stevelamb said:

Dazzler21 said:

Steve, for the uneducated (i.e. me), what does that actually entail?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Stevelamb said:

I'd rather live a happy life to 75/80 than a longer life miserable about what I am eating etc,
    I am not miserable about my whole food plant based diet, in fact I really enjoy it.
    It is another myth that such a diet is boring food.
    But we all have a choice.
    It probably wont happen in my lifetime but one day dairy products and meat will come with a health warning just like tobacco does now.
  • Options
    So who would like to talk about cheese lol.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Stevelamb said:

Dazzler21 said:

Stevelamb said:

If you eat unhealthily it will catch up with you and might affect you for a number of years. I worked for a number of years on a vascular ward where a number of our patients had type 2 diabetes and the associated problems that went with it. Many of these patients thought their diet was relatively healthy.

I reckon at least 10% of over 50s now have type 2 diabetes and numbers are growing. Obesity and diabetes will probably sink the NHs.

A few simple changes to diet can help.
  • Options
    Stevelamb said:

Dazzler21 said:

Stevelamb said:

I am not miserable about my whole food plant based diet, in fact I really enjoy it.
    It is another myth that such a diet is boring food.
    But we all have a choice.
    It probably wont happen in my lifetime but one day dairy products and meat will come with a health warning just like tobacco does now.
    I think sugar will prove to be a bigger issue - the biggest change to diet in recent times has been the ever increasing amount of sugar. It wasn't really such an issue in the past and dairy/meat have been around longer in our diet.

A lot of the food lobbies will try and stifle research unfavourable to their product in the same way the tobacco industry did.
  • Options
    At least we are a live pig and lamb.
  • Options
    Chinese takeaway at the top of Welling High St used to sell Angry Lamb. Any relation Steve? :-)

Jokes aside, I find it fascinating people can live such different diets to what I do.
  • Options
    No relation but I do love a Chinese takeaway, plant based obviously.
  • Options
    edited November 2017

Dazzler21 said:

Stevelamb said:

If you eat unhealthily it will catch up with you and might affect you for a number of years. I worked for a number of years on a vascular ward where a number of our patients had type 2 diabetes and the associated problems that went with it. Many of these patients thought their diet was relatively healthy.

I reckon at least 10% of over 50s now have type 2 diabetes and numbers are growing. Obesity and diabetes will probably sink the NHs.

A few simple changes to diet can help.
    Ah you're questioning whether I eat unhealthily - I do not.

I eat a varied diet, but every DINNER has to have vegetables and some form of meat.

Vegetables are sourced from either from my own patch or the fresh food section of the supermarket)
    Meats I am referring to are unprocessed from the butcher or fishmonger with nothing added or taken away from it (no sausages etc).

I see nothing wrong with using any of the following to lose fat:

5:2 diet (An intro to Intermittent Fasting)
    16:8 diet (A more serious stage of Intermittent Fasting)
    Low GI carb diets.
    Paleo diets
    Plant based diets

Any of these can work, because they help you reduce the bad stuff going in and make you think about what you're eating.

My trick is I think about each item I am going to eat:

"Do I feel this item is healthy or provides nutrients to support my macros or micros?"

If the answer is no, it goes back on the shelf. OR on rare occasion becomes a treat!

If the answer is yes, it goes straight in basket/trolley/cart.

p.s you can tell me cattle milk is bad for you etc and tell me it contains puss etc, but guess what I still drink it and I still eat cheese because they are heavenly and if the gods have provided us with such bounties we must enjoy them.
  • Options
    I started doing the 16/8 diet a few weeks back (only able to eat inside an 8 hour window each day, and fasting for the next 16). Got down from 14s 2Ibs to 13s 7Ibs so far. Cut out chocolate, crisps, coke and bread, although I am eating a fair amount of nuts and protein bar things, which I hope to cut out too.

What I've found is, I am not eating late so that I don't have to wait all day to eat again. And that's changing my habits massively, mostly by reducing my snacking. I'll probably give up the 16/8 side of it and just keep eating healthier and not after 8pm.

As someone who really struggles to stick to a diet, it's really worked for me.

Also, @SantaClaus, I was making loads of fruit smoothies (using full fat yoghurt, not fat free cos that's way worse) last year, and I was putting on weight! Turned out I had about 1,000 calories in each one!

On that point, it's worth knowing that there was a study into dieting a few decades back, and the sugar companies influenced it so that we ended up fearing fat. Fat free became a thing, with the fat replaced by the far more dangerous sugar! I'm simplifying this, so worth reading this if you're interested.

• Options
    @Dazzler21 you mention buying veg from the fresh food section... Saw a documentary a while back that said frozen veg was actually fresher than "fresh" veg, as it's frozen straight away so retains its freshness while the other loses a lot before making it to supermarket shelves. Admittedly a lot of the frozen stuff doesn't taste as nice though, especially carrots.