Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Best voice in the 60'/

Comments

• Options

cabbles said:

I've gone for Curtis mayfield today. Again very good. I'll just keep working my way through them. Got 3 pages worth so should be very good

Only bother with hawksmoor and my recommendations, you won't go far wrong then.
    Haha - I will do.
  • Options
    just downloaded matt munro for the way home.
  • Options
    McCartney
  • Options
    My interpretation of the consensus on this thread so far is that the best voices were generally the ones that didn't have to compete with a full-on rock band. It helps the singer if the band is there to serve them, rather than trying to outdo them.
  • Options
    Rod Stewart started his career in the 60s - excellent blues singer when he started out.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

just downloaded matt munro for the way home.

Don't know that one, how does it go? ;-)
  • Options
    Lowell George of Little Feat

Maybe more 70s

Rick Danko, Robbie Robertson and Kevin Helm of the Band.
  • Options
    Always liked Georgie Fame's voice
  • Options

Lowell George of Little Feat

Maybe more 70s

Rick Danko, Robbie Robertson and Kevin Helm of the Band.

Lowell George is a good shout.
  • Options
    Steve Marriott is great from what I've heard so far. Really enjoying his stuff
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cabbles said:

Very underrated as a vocalist - amazing voice out of such a small guy. Good guitarist as well and Small Faces never really got the credit they deserved.
  • Options

cabbles said:

Very underrated as a vocalist - amazing voice out of such a small guy. Good guitarist as well and Small Faces never really got the credit they deserved.
    I can't quite believe how soul/blues his voice his versus where he came from
  • Options

cabbles said:

I think at the time they did - and people then (and for a few years afterwards) would list The Beatles, The Stones, The Kinks, The Who and Small Faces as the bands of the 60s.

Time hasn't been kind to them though, and most now would just list the other four.
  • Options
    See picture above
  • Options
    'they think it's all over .. it IS now'
  • Options
    Some fantastic singers on this thread, but for his incredible emotional range and ability to interpret a variety of songs it is Elvis for me. Still The King!
  • Options
    Big shout for Roy Orbison. Elvis described him as having the perfect voice. Only wore dark glasses (which were prescription glasses) because he came to the UK without his normal glasses, and it became his trademark.

Notice Nilsson got a mention, another great voice. He was friends with the Beatles. Very close to John and they helped produce each others albums. Rumours were that he never got over John's death and that the drink/drugs got him.

Also, great mention for Rod. His vocals for Long John Baldry and the Hoochie Coochie Men, and Jeff Beck Group are outstanding.
  • Options
    Jim Reeves
    Connie Francis
    Nat King Cole
    Dusty Springfield
  • Options
    cabbles said:

cabbles said:

another if you haven't already checked it out is the Spencer Davis group.

Steve Winwood could be classed as a voice of the 60s.
  • Options

cabbles said:

cabbles said:

Especially as he was only about 17 years old at the time of The Spencer Davis Group, great voice at such a young age, then went on to form Traffic.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

cabbles said:

cabbles said:

Especially as he was only about 17 years old at the time of The Spencer Davis Group, great voice at such a young age, then went on to form Traffic.
    And not forgetting Blind Faith of course.
  • Options
    I saw Steve Winwood with Spencer Davis, I think early 1966 at the Shakespeare in Woolwich, he was brilliant what a voice, Gimme Some Loving still a great song for me
  • Options

I saw Steve Winwood with Spencer Davis, I think early 1966 at the Shakespeare in Woolwich, he was brilliant what a voice, Gimme Some Loving still a great song for me

saw him a few months back at Hammersmith and even now he still has a great voice. him and Paul Rodgers can still belt out a tune to this day.
  • Options
    PP Arnold also had a good voice - she's still performing.
  • Options
    All great vocalists mentioned here but I have so say I always thought Paul Rogers was the best blues singer ever, such a natural voice, not forced and still going strong (even with the dodgy wig) saw him a few years back at The Albert Hall and he was fantastic.
  • Options
    Gene Clark and Gram Parsons worth a mention.
  • Options
    Mat Munro or Nat King Cole
  • Options

Some fantastic singers on this thread, but for his incredible emotional range and ability to interpret a variety of songs it is Elvis for me. Still The King!

I beg to differ on Elvis in the 60's.

Most on here know my obsession with the King, he did his best vocal work in the 70's for me.
    Hillbilly cat with a new sound in the 50's, but nothing vocally challenging.
    The 60's was made up mostly of bad movie soundtracks, the only exception I would make would be It's Now Or Never, or some of his gospel songs from the era.
    The best Album (for me) was the American Studios sessions in the late 60's, a real change of style and direction, but still, vocally not his best.
    The 70's, vocally more mature and some very powerful performances.

Just my opinion
  • Options
    Brenda Lee.
  • Options
    Let's not forget that both Paul Rodgers and Stevie Marriott played at Charlton in 1974 amazing voices live heading Bad Company and Humble Pie Respectively. For me though Stevie Marriott best work was in the sixties so he shades it .