Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CL's Favourite Albums (Featuring The Stone Roses and Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band)

Comments

• Options

Love them both dearly, as should every right thinking person who claims to enjoy music :wink: , I think the only people who could really judge would be those that were old enough to have been there when SPLHCB was released, and understood the impact it made. Sadly I was only 2 at the time.

However, with a gun to my head, Sgt Pepper for me.

Was thinking that. Pepper seemed like such a breath of fresh air compared with a lot of the music I was listening to from that period when I first heard it. I guess to some extent, you had to be around to understand the cultural impact it made (I wasn't born until twenty years after it was released). It might be easier to gauge the impact of the album from a purely musical perspective as you can see the impact an artist makes through releases from other bands etc. in the years and decades following its release.
  • Options
    I love the Beatles but Sgt Pepper is not one of my favourites. It is probably a time and a place thing that means my vote goes to Stone Roses.
  • Options
    Both great albums. They are very different but both era defining albums. I can totally appreciate SPLHCB and "A Day in the Life" is my favourite Beatles track. That said I was 4 months old when it was released so can't appreciate the impact it had at the time.

In contrast I still remember hearing The Stone Roses for the first time. A breath of fresh air at the end of a pretty uninspiring decade of music. It was full of confidence and swagger. For me it hasn't aged. I listen to it on a regular basis and I still find it uplifting.

Roses for me - probably my favourite album.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Sgt Pepper is wonderful but ... but ...

The Stone Roses!!!

Every track is first class and the final two tracks are absolute classics, both of which have been played by myself at top volume many times: the magnificent ‘This is the One’, and then ‘Resurrection’.

Ian Brown’s wonderful lyrics and (multi-tracked) vocals are immense, combined with layered hooks and backup vocals from John Squire, the rock/dance thumping bass style of Mani, and the virtuosity of Reni. Anyone who has seen the film, Made of Stone, knows how important Reni was to the timing and rhythm of the band.

The album is accessible, egotistical, melodic, angry, psychedelic, bold, optimistic, mellow, ecstatic, anthemic, energetic, packed full of attitude, and fuses rock/pop and dance in a bravura fashion. I fucking love it.

It’s timeless just as they intended. Still uplifting 28 years on!

This.
  • Options
    I'll go for Pepper.
  • Options
    What's the current score?
  • Options
    Pepper
  • Options
    Pepper, if only because of A Day In The Life.
  • Options

I'll give an update in a bit
  • Options
    Cant believe we're comparing The Stone Roses with The Beatles.

Peppers.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sgt.Pepper
  • Options
    Not in the same league.

Some decent songs on Stone Roses, but is beaten by a mile by Sgt Pepper.....and Pepper isn't even the best Beatle album going.
  • Options
    edited October 2017

Pepper in the lead 22-16
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    JamesSeed said:

[Copied from post by @Henry Irving as it saves me typing]

[I also like Getting Better & Day In The Life]

@JamesSeed , are you voting for Pepper or is that just an observation? :smile:

EDIT: Sorry, being stupid. Your vote has been counted.
  • Options
    Think sgt pepper is overrated and never liked it as an album.

Stone roses.
  • Options
    Sorry to say that I’m old enough to remember the impact of Peppers (and it was immense). However, also true that The Stone Roses impact was missed by me, most likely because of the generational divide (getting old). In fact when I first made the effort to listen to the Stone Roses I was disappointed that Slash was missing from the line up and so you can add stupidity to the ageing process in my case.

I like the Stone Roses album and have vowed to listen to it it more often, but for now it has to be Peppers.
  • Options
    Stone Roses

Only got into them after they split up so was made up when they reformed.

Went to their comeback gigs in Spain, both days in Heaton Park and many times since and whilst it's a shame they haven't done much new stuff it's still a highlight seeing them live

Love some of Ian Browns solo stuff as well, FEAR, Corpses etc wish he played some of those live again
  • Options
    Theres only one winner...Pepper.
    It not even worthy of comparison.
  • Options
    Update: Stone Roses 18 - Sgt. Pepper - 24
  • Options
    Sgt. Pepper
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This was a genius match-up by SW16. Perfectly played :D
  • Options
    Roses, the album of my teenage years.
  • Options
    I know Sgt Pepper was a massively influential groundbreaking album, but The Stone Roses were a big part of the time when I was first getting well into music. So, although Sgt Pepper is a more important album - Stone Roses wins it for me as a personal favourite.
  • Options
    Philistines and old fogeys skewering the vote in favour of the Moptops

Boooooo

:wink:
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Boooooo

What’s a da matter you hey......shuduppa your face!
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    stonemuse said:

Boooooo

I know exactly what you mean. bloody scousers...

• Options
    stonemuse said:

Boooooo

Young whippersnappers not voting for a classic (not that you're young Stonemuse)
  • Options
    Bit late in voting but I had to be fair and actually listen to the Stone Roses album, which I now have. Love the track "I am The Resurrection" but it still has to be Sergeant Pepper for me.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Sgt Pepper is wonderful but ... but ...

The Stone Roses!!!

Every track is first class and the final two tracks are absolute classics, both of which have been played by myself at top volume many times: the magnificent ‘This is the One’, and then ‘Resurrection’.

Ian Brown’s wonderful lyrics and (multi-tracked) vocals are immense, combined with layered hooks and backup vocals from John Squire, the rock/dance thumping bass style of Mani, and the virtuosity of Reni. Anyone who has seen the film, Made of Stone, knows how important Reni was to the timing and rhythm of the band.

The album is accessible, egotistical, melodic, angry, psychedelic, bold, optimistic, mellow, ecstatic, anthemic, energetic, packed full of attitude, and fuses rock/pop and dance in a bravura fashion. I fucking love it.

It’s timeless just as they intended. Still uplifting 28 years on!

What he said.

There are two four star tracks on the Roses’ album, the rest are five star. Despite its musical importance, Pepper has too many three and four star tracks.

So, purely in terms of enjoyment whilst listening, it’s The Stone Roses.
  • Options

Cant believe we're comparing The Stone Roses with The Beatles.

Peppers.

We aren’t. We’re comparing two albums.