Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

NEW SIGNING MONDAY?? (ed. Leon Best training with us)

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2017
    It's all so familiar. Let Novak go at 11th hour without replacing him except for even later panic loan of Dodoo.
    Send Dodoo back early. Bring in injury-prone journeyman striker for a few weeks.
    And to think someone actually gets paid for this organisation and planning. A Sunday league team would be embarrassed.
  • Options

Anyone else see this?

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/15592247.Robinson_admits_Charlton_loanee_could_solve_striker_shortage_in_January/

KR admits that our big money signing in January could be bringing Umerah back from Wycombe -_- only a few weeks ago he was saying, "If we are in a reasonable position and promotion is still on the cards in January i will be given the funds to strengthen properly" or words to that effect. Lies lies and more lies. Shouldnt be surprised anymore.

Harsh. What's he supposed to say when asked about Umerah ? "Well we sent him out because he's inexperienced and needs to get games which he wouldn't get with us and even if he does well and scores goals we wouldn't want him back". Of course not. It would be disrespectful and demoralising for Umerah.

Yes the squad has issues but I wish people wouldn't just criticisise for the sake of it. There's enough to legitimately moan about.

Wrote this on the other thread, but exactly this. You have to make the young players on loan at least feel like they'll get a chance with the first team if they do well enough on loan. And saying "if they're near top of the goal scoring charts yeah of course we'll consider them" is like the most straight down the middle statement you can make. If Hanlan or Umerah are on 10-15 goals in January we'd be stupid not to bring one or both back.
  • Options

Heard from a reliable source that Best is also taking a Welding course so that he can star building the new gates next week!

And people say we don't make smart signings, look he's already carrying his weight.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Just a reminder, Leon Best is only training with us at this point. He hasn't been offered a deal as far as we know, and there's nothing in those quotes that indicate he's particularly close to one either.

We had both Stewart and Martin training with us in recent months. Robinson felt Stewart wasn't fit enough and passed, and it seems terms couldn't be agreed with Martin and passed.

I get why this feels like same old same old, especially given the Vaz Te signing, but I don't think it is. If Best can get match fit or thereabouts in the next 2-3 weeks, or really even the next couple months, and he looks good enough to compete at this level, great, offer him a short term deal. He's played at Champo and even Premier League level. He even won the Championship with Newcastle I believe, so maybe brings a winning mentality. If he can't get fit or doesn't look good enough, send him on his way. But right now, as things stands, we have everything to gain and nothing to lose.

And if we did sign him, how much would he play?

If Josh is on international duty, or he picks up an injury? And that until January, when Umerah, can be recalled. Or, we might just sign someone...
  • Options

SDAddick said:

Just a reminder, Leon Best is only training with us at this point. He hasn't been offered a deal as far as we know, and there's nothing in those quotes that indicate he's particularly close to one either.

We had both Stewart and Martin training with us in recent months. Robinson felt Stewart wasn't fit enough and passed, and it seems terms couldn't be agreed with Martin and passed.

I get why this feels like same old same old, especially given the Vaz Te signing, but I don't think it is. If Best can get match fit or thereabouts in the next 2-3 weeks, or really even the next couple months, and he looks good enough to compete at this level, great, offer him a short term deal. He's played at Champo and even Premier League level. He even won the Championship with Newcastle I believe, so maybe brings a winning mentality. If he can't get fit or doesn't look good enough, send him on his way. But right now, as things stands, we have everything to gain and nothing to lose.

If Josh is on international duty, or he picks up an injury? And that until January, when Umerah, can be recalled. Or, we might just sign someone...
    If Josh limps off on Saturday after 25 minutes, I imagine the chances of us signing and playing Best would significantly increase...

I assume he played in the behind doors match a week ago, without Josh, it's not as if we have many other strikers to fill two competing teams!
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Doesn't say much for Dodoo if a crocked, unfit 31 year old who hasn't played since January gets ahead of him.

I'm hearing that he only contacted us as we are the last team he scored against (for Sheff Wed in the FA Cup in 2014 ) & so "Charlton" is etched on his mind,

Or will KR spin it that we're doing or business early..........for next season.
  • Options

SDAddick said:

If Josh limps off on Saturday after 25 minutes, I imagine the chances of us signing and playing Best would significantly increase...

I assume he played in the behind doors match a week ago, without Josh, it's not as if we have many other strikers to fill two competing teams!
    True. You brought up a good point earlier that it's better that we're at least exploring an option now as opposed to waiting until something bad happens.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Doesn't say much for Dodoo if a crocked, unfit 31 year old who hasn't played since January gets ahead of him.

I'm hearing that he only contacted us as we are the last team he scored against (for Sheff Wed in the FA Cup in 2014 ) & so "Charlton" is etched on his mind,

Or will KR spin it that we're doing or business early..........for next season.

Dodoo is fine as an additional striker to play alongside Josh, but I don't think he has the experience to play the target man role by himself, for which I assume Best would be better
  • Options
    Good to hear he has fitted into the dressing room well.

I hope that his epilepsy is now under control :neutral:
  • Options

They missed out the bit where it said he contacted 91 other clubs as well.
    Lol
  • Options
    Leon Best could be ok. Or he could be another Leon McKenzie or Leon Clarke............
  • Options

Heard from a reliable source that Best is also taking a Welding course so that he can star building the new gates next week!

Our last welder / striker wasn't too bad.
  • Options
    If Magennis gets injured, i'd play either Fosu or Holmes up front, with one of them, Clarke and Reeves or Marshall behind. Plenty of movement and it would have to be played on the floor
  • Options

Good to hear he has fitted into the dressing room well.

I hope that his epilepsy is now under control :neutral:

Don’t get that comment......care to explain......cheers?
  • Options
    drewman said:

I miss the days when we actually built a squad. None of this short term, tide us over/keep us in contention until January when IF we look like doing something this year we may sign a competent player. When we built a squad in the summer with players who were expected to stay beyond a few months. Everything's so cheap and unprofessional with this mob and I just cant wait for them to f**k off so I can get my Charlton mojo back and start caring again.

We do have a squad. Plenty of depth in every position EXCEPT centre forward. A massive cockup to not have cover for Josh yes, but the rest of the team looks excellent, with decent depth.
  • Options

drewman said:

I miss the days when we actually built a squad. None of this short term, tide us over/keep us in contention until January when IF we look like doing something this year we may sign a competent player. When we built a squad in the summer with players who were expected to stay beyond a few months. Everything's so cheap and unprofessional with this mob and I just cant wait for them to f**k off so I can get my Charlton mojo back and start caring again.

We do have a squad. Plenty of depth in every position EXCEPT centre forward. A massive cockup to not have cover for Josh yes, but the rest of the team looks excellent, with decent depth.
    And left back.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

drewman said:

And left back.
    You’d think Page will be back by January.
  • Options

Leon Best could be ok. Or he could be another Leon McKenzie or Leon Clarke............

Of the three Leons he has to be the Best one!
  • Options

Of the three Leons he has to be the Best one!
    He is the king of Leons
  • Options
    Thank goodness we know it is not Roger Johnson now
  • Options
    5 years ago , I would have probably been excited with the possibility of signing Leon Best, now it just smacks of desperation, and I can’t see us finishing in a play off position if we do.

Surely we can sign someone better than this?
  • Options
    Devante Cole.... I think this boy is going to be a good player!! We should get in there now!
  • Options

5 years ago , I would have probably been excited with the possibility of signing Leon Best, now it just smacks of desperation, and I can’t see us finishing in a play off position if we do.

I think Harry Kane already has a club...
  • Options

Maybe in January, but who now?
  • Options
    Webbja77 said:

Devante Cole.... I think this boy is going to be a good player!! We should get in there now!

Devante Cole will be heading to a championship side in January, there’s no way we will match what Fleetwood would be asking for him, even if we sell Konsa and money does go back into the team.

Give Best a chance, he’s a couple of weeks away of even being considered for a contract but I think this one has legs. Hopefully he plays some part of a U23 game, maybe on Monday like Page but we will see. We won’t find much better right now before January comes.